“You Can Do Better in Rittenhouse Square”

The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Silver Spring, MD
“You Can Do Better in Rittenhouse Square”
Reviewed November 30, 2005

This hotel is located in a lovely part of Philadelphia but there have to be better hotels than this one. On the plus side: the bell staff is great, the restaurant is well-staffed and very nice, and Justin at the front desk was helpful. That's it.

We asked for adjoining, non-smoking, rooms, one with a king-sized bed, one with double beds. I called twice to confirm this. When we arrived, we were given adjoining rooms with double beds. Also, one of the rooms was labeled as "non-smoking" but reeked of cigarette smoke. As a result, we had to move to other rooms.

There were patches on the ceiling from water damage, instead of re-painting the whole ceiling to cover the patches. None of the staff, save for Justin at the front desk or the guys at the front door, ever smiled or said hello. The hotel is old and felt old. You can do better.

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank bmfc1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 26, 2005

Stayed 4 nights at the Warwick whilst visiting a congress. The lobby and bar area are very nice, the staff friendly and the price reasonable for a city centre 4 star hotel. The executive floor room I had was spacious if a bit dated, no sleep system bed here. The biggest dissapointment was the tiny bathroom, really cramped and I'd have given 12 square feet of room space to avoid the gymnastics required to get out the bath without standing on the toilet.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank weejim
Blackrock
Reviewed October 26, 2005

We spent 7 nights in this Radisson Hotel and had a very good holiday there. We arrived in a deluge and the weather was drizzly for most of our week which surprised us as we expected better. We don't get so much rain at home!!
George at Reception was charming and when I asked for a spacious room because we were going to be there for a week he gave us a lovely big room which had been refurbished recently. Nice bathroom and two queen beds which were firm and that's how we like them as we both have bad backs.
The tips we left for our housekeeper elicited a lovely Thank you note which was the first time that had ever happened. I feel that housekeepers get forgotten sometimes and I like to remember them.
Dinner in The Prime Rib(under separate management) was memorable. Just fabulous but expensive. They do an early bird menu for $30 which was great value but it was very early so it might not suit everybody.
Little Pete's Diner across the street is fantastic value and good food so we breakfasted there every morning. Pietro's Italian a few 100 yards away is also a good place to eat especially for families.
If I were lucky enough to be back in Philly I'd stay in the Warwick especially if I got a good deal.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank Iris
Nashville, TN
Reviewed October 24, 2005

This was an okay hotel, but I was expecting it to be "above average". The room we got was a larger one, which was wonderful, since we had 2 adults and 2 children in one room. I glanced in at some other rooms as I walked down the hall, and know this room to be especially spacious. Most of the staff was courteous, altho' one hotel operator was short with me when I called to get more towels to lay on the wet floor from when the toilet had overflowed unexplainedly the day before! It wasn't stopped up, and the overflow was completely unexpected...I wonder if this older hotel (it's on the National Historic Register) has pipes that need replacing? Also, the maid service was disappointing on some small points, like once our coffee mugs were rinsed/washed out and left to dry in the bathroom, and the bedspread was not replaced on one bed once, but left in a heap on the floor under the window. Also, lots of dirt under the beds. So it was "okay" we did not switch rooms, but this was not a luxury hotel. I will try another hotel on any future Philly trips.

1 Thank TisaLisa
Largo, Florida
Reviewed October 11, 2005

Beds harder than the floor. noisy cheap not very effective window air conditioner.
good location. bell staff helpful. lot of nearby restaurants.
Radissons in Scandinavia much better than American Radissons.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank ultra63
Oxfordshire, UK
Reviewed October 2, 2005

We stayed at the Warwick Plaza for a couple of days while in town for a wedding, and it was perfectly adequate. We were looking for a hotel close to the Sofitel (where the bride and groom were staying), but having just shelled out for the flights from the UK we were on a budget.

The room was clean and spacious but the decor was a little tired - 1980s florals and frilled lampshades - and the closet door would have benefited from the attentions of a joiner. Aircon was servicable if noisy, and the bathroom functional if not elegant. Bed was worryingly soft, but I guess that's the effect of a US boxspring after years of UK slats.
Actually, the lobby was the most impressive bit of the hotel - I hope the rooms will get a similarly classy makeover eventually.

The thing that tipped this hotel from disappointingly ordinairy to somewhere I'd revisit is the location - Rittenhouse Square is just around the corner, and is the perfect antidote to both jetlag (lobster at midnight? no problem!) and hangovers (breakfast at Little Pete's, a large latte and a bench in the sun), and lined with hotels that certainly charge more than the Warwick. Just make sure you pack your party clothes, and don't turn up at what we later discovered to be the trendiest bar in Philly wearing the clothes you slept in on the plane...

The Warwick is well located and reasonably priced, just don't expect anything outstanding.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank rls1016
Miami
Reviewed September 30, 2005

Well, the lobby is not bad and the litte coffee shop downstairs is nice. But when I checked into the room the toliet was dirty as well as the linens. Yuck!!! Outdated floral decor, not my style. It was ok to sleep there. I wouldn't go back. It just felt dirty. The bar downstairs was a good time. The batender was nice. But I wouldn't reccomend eating in the resturaunt. Was nursing, a hangover from the night before at the bar. I ordered the hot dog which I thought was a no brainer but that was disgusting. I think they stuck it in the microwave too long until it got nice and hard and the bun was stale. Would have been better off at the 7/11.

• Stayed September 2005