“Nice stay downtown Philly” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Surprise, Arizona
“Nice stay downtown Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice hotel, had a great time. Clean, spaciuos room, very friendlt staff. Two blocks from Broad Street subway line, used to get everywhere. We attended two sporting events and one concert and did not have to use the car after check in

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson Plaza Warwick Philadelphia with a group - including sveral professional hoteliers. From start to finish our one night stay was superb. The Warwick is one of the last of the "Grand Dame" hotels in Philadelphia - but with recent upgrades and refurbishments, it has retained it's classic style while providing the kind of personal service it has been known for for years.. From the bellmen, to the front desk staff to the concierge, to the staffs at the restaurants -everybody was friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. (We ate in the Coffee Shop and had drinks in The Prime Rib - which is almost an exact relica of The Prime Riub in Washington. While pricey, it is one GREAT steak house and drinks are 1/2-price during happy hour!) When one of our group ran into a problem with her room key and called the front desk, they had a new key delivered to her within a few minutes. It seemed that everyone on staff went out of their way to not only smile and be pleasant no matter what your request, but went the "extra 10%" to provide outstanding service.
The rooms are big by most older hotel standards and our was immaculate.We had one of the rooms with a sleep number bed but were not overly impressed.
There a a number of great restaurants nearby, especially in the Rittenhouse Square area just a block away. The concierge recommended Parc - a French Restaurant just around the corner and we enjoyed an excellent "country-French" dinner there.
We look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Scranton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Spent valentines day and girlfriends birthday in Philly last weekend, Had a package plan from Travel Zoo, arrived at hotel 11 am pulled right up to front of hotel on 17th street, greeted by young gentleman who took our bags informed us of what and where, very personable. Then Frankie the doorman took us inside to check in, another very funny and personal gentleman, smooth front desk operation, room was ready although check in was 3 pm, bell hop took us to our room, went over everything and more. We also ate at Tavern 17, great food and drinks, super happy hour with the bartender "Don Rickles" looked and acted like him, needless to say funny man.... Staff was very nice and room was clean and spacious although a little outdated and they are in the process of remodeling.... Would definatley stay here again!!! Right in the middle of town within walking distance to many shopping and restaurants. Philly has really cleaned up this part of town....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick K
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited Philadelphia for a 3 day, two night stay and decided to stay at the Radisson Plaza. I'm a member of Club Carlson their loyalty club and I'm a Gold member. As a gold member I received vouchers for a free drink at their bar "Tavern 17" for each night I stayed. And a free breakfast voucher for either room service, breakfast buffet, or a breakfast entree. Taxes and gratuities were included with the voucher which was very nice indeed.

I arrived at the Radisson on Saturday morning just prior to noon, and they didn't have my room ready yet. That's fine and totally expected, I left my luggage with the bellman and walked around the neighbourhood. The location of this hotel is A++. Very close to Rittenhouse Square and the famous Rittenhouse Row - great selection of shops and a variety of different restaurants. And don't forget the tax free shopping!! Hotel is also within walking distance to the SEPTA metro line on Walnut/Locust as well as the PATCO line at 15-16/Locust., and the Regional Rail line- SEPTA to go pretty much anywhere further out. The trolley service is also available just by the Suburban Station.

Let me rewind a bit, I landed at Philadelphia airport at around 10:30am, and took the Regional Rail Line - SEPTA from the Airport to the Suburban Station which is about 2.5 blocks north of the hotel. Cost for one way from the airport to Suburban Station was $7 cash. Just board the train and the conductor will collect $ and issue you a ticket. Round trip was approximately 20-24 minutes. The train comes every 30 minutes from the airport so relax if you miss the train...

Once you get on the train, there's about 4-5 stops before you get to Suburban Station. Once you reach the station go up to the surface level and walk south a few blocks less then 7 minutes to get to the Radisson.

I was debating if I should take a taxi or some other forms of transport to get to the hotel, but with the quick and easy way of getting from the airport to the hotel with the train it was really a no brainer.

Now I'll go back to my review of the hotel... after dropping my bags off and shopping around the area, I returned to the hotel at about 3:30pm. During this time there were many people checking in, but thankfully all three check in desks were manned and they were getting through the line up quickly. When it was my turn to check in, I informed them that I was hear earlier and they continued to check me in and had my rooms keys ready. They gave me room 719 which was a corner room one king bed. This was a normal room, and not their 'business class rooms' which include a daily paper at your door, a iHome alarm clock/ipod dock and other more business catered options. The check in agent thanked me for my Club Carlson loyalty and informed me because i'm a gold member that I'll receive a drink voucher for myself and my partner for each night of staying as well as a breakfast voucher for each night. This was great and unexpected and I certainly appreciate these small things that makes my vacation ever-so more enjoyable.

When check in was complete, we went up to our rooms. The elevator is very quick to come to the lobby, and just as quick going up and down to and from our floor. I've been in older properties where the elevator was a turtle, but this was a very quick elevator which reduces stress from all parties. Hallway leading up to our room was also clean, but the hallway looks like
The room was very clean, and the heating/cooling/ventilation system was very good. Our room was at a good temperature, not too hot and not too cold when we arrived, and our door would automatically close all the way when we opened it and did not assist it to close it. This is good, as we are weary of having the door left ajar or forgetting to close the door all the way.

As mentioned in a previous review, the space between the bed and the tv is quite far, a larger TV would be nice, but I don't think it would work out in the space provided. There was a movable cushioned bench in front of the bed that can be moved around if you really wanted to sit closer to the tv as well as a lounge chair (single) to the right of the TV but kind of in a corner that you could move over to get a better view of the TV.

The in room safe was in the closet, and upon using it there was a LED with words saying LOW BATT. I didn't really have any valuables so I didn't end up using it and risk having my goods locked forever. I forgot to mention this during checkout, but it wasn't a very big inconvenience for me and I forgot all about it.

Bathroom was typical for a Radisson, and I didn't have any problems at all. I liked how there was a frosted window to provide some natural light in the bathroom. The bathtub had a curved shower curtain rod, and was clean.

The bed provided was a sleep number bed. I truly enjoy a firm bed and set the bed to 100. I know others like a softer bed, but for me 100 was great and I slept very well. I had problems with the wired Internet as it didn't work, but there was free Wi-Fi provided at this hotel so I didn't really get stuck with no Internet. Free WiFi is also provided throughout the property (lobby, restaurant, hallways, rooms), so it was great being able to connect my tablet and smartphone and stay connected.

What would have made my stay better? A complimentary fridge in every room, and a microwave. I looked at the in-room amenities and they have these items, but at a 'cost'. The ice machine in our floor was close-by, however the ice bucket provided was quite small, and very narrow on the inside. I ended up cooling my drinks by using the bathroom sink and filling it up with ice.

The breakfast buffet was delicious, and had a good selection of quality hot foods, and cold foods. Hot foods included, scrambled eggs, sausages, french toast, potatoes, stuffed tomato, oatmeal.
Cold foods included a wide assortment of cold cuts, salads, fruits, cereals, breads, pastries. Service was excellent at the buffet breakfast and they ensured that all my needs were met.

In the evening I enjoyed my complimentary drink with my partner at the bar. The bartender was very friendly and helpful!! We had an enjoyable evening and I don't usually drink!!

At check out I had no issues, and everything was settled correctly. I left my luggage with the bell hop as I went around the neighbourhood for some last minute shopping and a quick lunch.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed here recently for 2 nights. I like to visit Philly a few times throughout the year - terrific restaurants and museums. This was my first time at the Radisson Plaza. Got a great 2 night deal on their website.

Pros:
. location: anything in Center City near Rittenhouse Square is ideal. And the Radisson Plaza's location is perfect - very convenient to great restaurants, shopping, and easy to grab a taxi up to the art museum.
. room size: I joined their loyalty program and was able to score a corner room - very nice. The room was very big, 3 windows, a window in the bathroom, good size work desk, nice sized bathroom.
. the bed: they have Sleep Number beds! I've always been curious about the Sleep Number so it was nice to try it on for size for 2 nights. If you're curious, the first night I slept at "35" the next night I slept at "45" (the higher the number, the more firm the mattress). Great bed, great night's sleep.
. customer service: I checked in on a Saturday afternoon and the lobby was quite busy but the front door valet immediately greeted my taxi and whisked my bags to the front desk. The front desk clerk knew I wanted a quiet room and took her time to find me a corner room, she was extremely friendly, the perfect welcome to my getaway.
. lobby and restaurants: the lobby of this hotel is grand and gorgeous - lots of space to meet friends, hang out, etc. I went to Tavern 17 for their buffet breakfast which was just fine - at first it didn't seem that impressive but then I realized, how much do I really need from a breakfast buffet? Everything I had was delicious.
. Prime Rib restaurant: I travel a lot and I love steak and prime rib. Hands down this is the BEST prime rib I every had - no question. Outstanding restaurant, if you can take advantage of their prix fixe menu.

Cons:
. the hotel is going under renovations - though this did not impact my visit at all, there's quite a bit of work going on and scaffolding out front
. room size: what's funny is that even though the corner room is quite large, it's not well layed out - because there's so much room, the distance from the bed to the tv is too far! with that much space between the bed and tv, better to have a much larger tv. also, would be nice if there was a table or something near the closet - set that up as the in-room coffee station rather than crowd the coffee maker onto the work desk
. the bathroom: as many people have mentioned, the sink/vanity is oddly too high but that said, there's lots of room on the counter. In addition, the toilet paper holder is oddly positioned too high next to the toilet. The towels are ok, not great. They've been overwashed so they feel a bit rough.
. noise: while I did not hear my next door neighbors (thank goodness), I DID hear my neighbors upstairs - stomp, stomp, stomp! Every step! During waking hours when I'm in and out of the room, I don't care but after midnight? It's a nuisance.

Overall, I would definitely return to the Radisson Plaza, especially for a 2-day Philly getaway. The hotel met all of my needs. I've stayed at nicer places in Philly but have paid more for roughly the same service I got here. Will be curious to see what happens after the renovations!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank eastdeparture
Germaine m, Front Office Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed We look forward to your next trip
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

It's not quite three and it's not quite four, though I lean a bit toward three.

The Radisson Warwick is in a fine location within Center City. The hotel itself is old with what seems like somewhat recent renovations. I enjoyed the little perks like the Sleep Number bed and the new bathroom fixtures, though there were things like proportionally low ceilings that no renovation can really fix.

The front desk service was fine, though nothing spectacular or overly friendly - no complaints but also no raves. There were, however, a few cosmetic items/technical malfunctions during my stay. One of the doors in the vestibule at the entrance was either broken or not working, with a printed sign telling people to use the other door. One of the elevators was also not working during my stay. And though the water pressure was wonderful, the water temperature was consistently inconsistent, seesawing from lukewarm to warm for minutes at a time.

Overall, it's a nice place to stay if you're not looking to spend that much money. It makes a decent business hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jwcardinal11
Joanne-1Hotel, General Manager at The Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate the time you took to let me know about your experience as it greatly assist us in making improvements to our hotel and in providing the best service possible.

Our upcoming renovation plans for later this year will address many of the concerns you mention. We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to the Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel Philadelphia again in the future. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly if your travel plans bring you back to Philadelphia

Joanne Cunningham
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed 1 night here in January because I had a dinner reservation at Vetri for my birthday. My fiance and I just did a search of hotels close to the restaurant, and this one was most reasonable. We had no idea what kind of area this was or familiarity with Philadelphia in general. We were pleasantly surprised that this hotel is located in a great shopping and walking area!
We called for an early check in and I believe the person at the front desk I spoke to was Dave. He was able to accommodate us and told me that self park and valet parking were the same price, which was helpful info. When we got to the hotel, Dave checked us in a put us in a great corner room on the 4th floor. The corner room was very large and had three big windows. The room was clean airy. The lobby was beautiful and everyone who assisted us was friendly.
We enjoyed are stay and this hotel more than served it's purpose!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ameredithnyc
Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to post a review for this hotel. We are so pleased that you selected the beautiful and historic Radisson Plaza-Warwick Hotel for your latest trip and dining experience in Philadelphia.

Thank you for noticing the friendliness and service extended by the staff. This hotel will be receiving a renovation shortly and we are excited about the fresh and exciting look. We looking forward to your next stay! Take care,
Joanne Cunningham