“Beautiful Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Hotel”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This is a really beautiful hotel. The staff was very professional and friendly. the rooms are really gorgeous. Our room consisted of 2 rooms, the bedroom and a small living room. The hotel is centrally located, and there is lots of shopping all around it. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
Thank you fro your gracious comments in the Trip Advisor review. We so appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your positive experience at the hotel. We look forward to your return.
Vice President and General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed February 10, 2011

Great place, location, service. Not a budget hotel by any stretch, but service you would not believe,

We were at the hotel for a wedding. Never have I experienced a more wonderful wedding!!!

I would recommend this hotel for any special occasion.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Thank you for the wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you had a good stay with us and in particular enjoyed the wedding.

Berlin, New Jersey
Reviewed February 7, 2011

It has been several years since I have stayed in a hotel close to the caliber of the Rittenhouse (Vail Cascade Resort circa 2003 is a distant runner up).

First thing, be sure to fill out the survey in the e-mail sent out in advance. This is by far the best way to make sure any requests are filled (in my case a park view room, with rose petals on the bed, and the Wall St. Journal the following morning).

The staff was very friendly and prompt, the bellman was quick to offer several good recommendations for nightlife that evening. we arrived late due to traffic and were afraid we would miss our dinner reservation. The concierge was quick to make arrangements for us to dine at the hotel that evening.

The room was beautifully appointed, the furniture and bed were among the most comfortable in any hotel I have stayed in.

By far the one part of my experience that stood out the most was the bellman that went out in the rain at close to midnight to buy some bubble bath for my girlfriend. By far the most un-expected and appreciate customer service measure any hotel as ever taken for me. I have stayed in dozens of "luxury" hotels and this one should be the standard that all others follow.

This will be the only hotel in Philadelphia I will ever stay at.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Thank you for your kind and complimentary comments about your recent trip to The Rittenhouse. We are delighted that you had an enjoyable visit, and was so pleased to hear that the bellman went out of his way to make sure your special needs were met.
We look forward to seeing you back with us in the near future
The Rittenhouse Hotel
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Stayed for a week through the snows of early January. The place is an elegant classic which succeeds in working really well. Car valet parking was a pleasure even through some atrocious snowy weather. The female facial and bodily titillation department was reported as being outstanding. Room service quality was excellent and delivery efficient.
The staff were universally courteous, friendly and helpful even when English was obviously not their first language. I would avoid Smith and Wollensky. One can do far better within a short walk to restaurants such as La Castagna or Tinto. It's time America started serving food that is meant to be eaten hot on hot plates again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Poisonwells
, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
We do appreciate you taking the time to write a review and pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
KInd regards,
The Rittenhouse
New Jersey
Reviewed January 8, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel for years always over Thanksgiving. It is a beautiful classic hotel in a great location. The staff is always very helpful. My kids love the indoor pool. The fitness center is very small, but good for a quick workout. Room service is expensive, but not more expensive than other high end hotels. I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
We all appreciate you kind review and pleased that you and your children had a positive visit to The Rittenhouse. We look forward to your return next Thanksgiving, if not sooner. May I wish you and yours a healthy and happy new year.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We took one of our children to see a specialist at the CHoP and chose the Rittenhouse Hotel for our stay. Although it was just for one night, it was perfect. Our flight landed before 9:00 am and we went straight to the hotel. We had not thought to call for an early check-in so we were very surprised to be in our room by 10:00am! The room was quiet, roomy, and intimate at the same time and just felt good. The decor is not super-cool or modern nor is it lavish or opulent but it has an aura of being cared for, refined, and well maintained. The concierge was helpful when I had to change dinner reservations multiple times due to our appointment being longer than anticipated. Since many of the restaurants were full the poor man had to go back to the drawing board each time we called and try for a new place but he sounded refreshed and eager to please each time he heard me on the line. When we finally returned home they had left our son child-size slippers and a robe, a bedtime book, and cookies and milk. I recommend this hotel and will be going back again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write such a gracious review on Trip Advisor. I sincerely hope your daughter is doing well after her visit to CHOP. I wish you and your family a healthy and happy new year.

Washington, DC
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I was in Philly on business and decided to bring my son, since he was on Christmas break. Chose the Rittenhouse, after previous stays at the Bellevue and Ritz Carlton. I have very much enjoyed the other hotels but, if space is available, I will always select the Rittenhouse for future Philadelphia accommodations. First and foremost, the staff, which is quite young, is superbly trained and acts as if they are genuinely happy you are at the hotel (in fact, I think they are). They anticipate your needs. For instance, when we checked in, my son inadvertently locked the door to the bathroom. We called housekeeping, and a pleasant young man arrived to solve the problem. We mentioned that the room had a faint smell of staleness and asked him if the windows opened. He said he thought he noticed the same thing and asked if we wanted a new room, which we declined, saying that the open window would probably solve the situation. Next thing we knew, the front desk had arranged new quarters for us, while they tended to any problem with the room.
The rooms at Rittenhouse are wonderful. They are large and well appointed. I loved the corner desk with (free!) internet access. I worked away, while my son texted his girlfriend and watched TV in another part of the room – no disturbance at all. The workspace is better than my own office. A great corner desk with large windows looking out over the city. Also, the rooms are exceptionally quiet. The previous reviewer who said you feel like a resident and not a tourist is correct.
The food services are also excellent. Le Croix service and food are among the best. We did lunch and breakfast, had a park view and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
The location of the hotel is also perfect. Walking distance to any city attraction. We went to Independence Hall and the magnificent Philadelphia Art Museum, which are an easy and pleasant fifteen minute walk. Also, Le Bec Fin, not just our fave in Philly, but perhaps in the U.S., is a couple of blocks away. This trip, we did the lower Le Bar, which is an experience not to be missed. Sadly, I heard that monsieur has stated that he is closing the iconic eatery. Please say it ain’t so, Georges.
We usually take a vacation week every year to go to NY and stay at the Sherry. This year, I think we will do the week at the Rittenhouse.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We are all delighted that you had a positive experience at The Rittenhouse and pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant, Lacroix. I have it on good authority that Georges Perrier recently decided to keep Le Bec Fin open! May I wish you and yours a happy and healthy new year.