“Classy hotel - perfect location”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Probably a little expensive, especially in their in-house steakhouse, but a very friendly clean and generally classy hotel. I'm glad we didn't take our travel agent's first suggestion of a hotel in the historic quarter, because it looked too quiet (dead). The Rittenhouse is in center city, with shops and good restaurants nearby. We've travelled a lot in the US, and Philadelphia proved to be one of the most friendly of cities.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Management response:Responded December 30, 2010

Thank you for your kind review in Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed Philadelphia and the hotel, and look forward to your return in 2011.
I wish you and your family a wonderful and happy new year.

There are newer reviews for The Rittenhouse Hotel

Reviewed October 27, 2010

What a shame. My husband and I really loved this hotel. We had a lovely room with two bathrooms! Lobby was just beautiful and the floral arrangements quite stunning.
But at the end of our stay upon getting my three month old car back from valet, I noticed the rear bumber had been dented. It was a minor dent, but I was given a form to fill out and told that I would hear from the hotel, which I never did.
Personally, I was not even going to ask them to pay for it because it is a very small dent, however, it was due to their careless valet staff and the hotel should have called me regardless. Not a good way to get a return customer.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded December 30, 2010

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and advising me about the incident with your vehicle.. We employ an outside service fto operate the valet operation. If the incident has not been resolved, please contact me immediately so I can follow up with the parking operator. Sorry for any inconveneince to you.

May I, at this time wish you and your family a happy new year.

Reviewed October 19, 2010

Hotel/location:
The hotel is located right in front of Rittenhouse square which is a charming and lively little square. It´s also very nearby some ok shopping, a lot of good restaurants and even more arts and culture!

Room:
We had a one bedroom city view suite which was very large! The style is rather oldfashioned though, but if that´s your taste you´ll love it. The room was very quiet and comfortable and it had a walk-in closet which always is appreciated! Wireless internet worked immaculate. There was also a washing machine/drier in the room which is handy when travelling with a small child and for a longer period of time. I should mention that there is also a large and quite well-equipped kitchen, that we however didn´t use.

Staff:
Now wow, everyone from the doormen to the cleaning staff were excellent!!! Friendly, courteous, knowledgable and just great!!!
The only slight glitch was that some of our drycleaning came back burnt and very badly pressed. Now they don´t dryclean in the hotel, but use an external company. Do doublecheck where it´s sent before entrusting them with your clothes.

Food:
The restaurant has lovely views over Rittenhouse Square. It´s very quiet and has a pleasant decor. Staff is, once again, lovely and very attentive. I do love it when they remember your name and preferences! Just makes for a much more pleasant stay!!!
Food is also very good! We had breakfast there every morning, some lunches and also dinners and were pleased with all of our meals.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Management response:Responded December 30, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and complimentary review of The Rittenhouse. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I was only at The Rittenhouse for two nights, but enjoyed all the wonderful amenities that this fabulous hotel had to offer. Extraordinary service from all the employees; housekeeping staff , the wait staff at dinner Monday night and the concierge. The entire staff we encountered were extremely helpful and friendly.
My husband made reservations for the Sunday brunch shortly after we arrived in Philadelphia around noon. Our room was ready early and we were able to freshen up before we had brunch. The brunch was phenomenal! My favorite part of brunch was going back in the kitchen to serve ourselves the delicious brussel sprouts with pine nuts, the duck confit, fresh fruit, and multiple desserts.
After walking around Philadelphia for the remainder of the day Sunday and sleeping like a baby under the softest sheets, I woke up Monday to go to the Andrew Biecker salon and spa where I enjoyed a facial with Amanda... what a treat!
Thanks to all The Rittenhouse staff for making our stay at The Rittenhouse so memorable. We look forward to returning again soon with our daughter and making more memories!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Management response:Responded December 30, 2010

Thank you for your gracious comments on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed the Sunday Brunch, and look forward to your returning with your daughter. We have a treasure Chest in the lobby where your daughter can choose her very own toy and have children's robes and slippers as part of our special Family Program.

I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to the staff.

Reviewed October 12, 2010

The Rittenhouse was new in every way in 1990. Few updates over the last 20 years have rendered the hotel a little obsolete but still somehow charming. Huge rooms, priced to sell and a great location on the park compensate for dated furnishings and appointments and a weird lobby. Nice little gym and an excellent new bar/restaurant on the second floor are pluses. Ventilation is poor though and windows do not open. Mediocre AC and so-so beds do not help with a good night's sleep. Large bathrooms and good desk/work spaces.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank I1240DMdanielr
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The Rittenhouse was just a terrific hotel. From the front desk and concierge that happily handled all requests, to the spotless rooms, great spa/pool, fabulous locations. Even a toy for each kid when we checked in!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband, daughter and our dog stayed at the Rittenhouse for a wedding we recently attended. Everything was perfect. I cannot say enough about the hotel--very classy but not "uppity," the helpful staff, the special treatment "Tootsie" received, the beautfiul and comfortable rooms, food and service at Le Croix. There is a park in the square right across the street and a beautiful church right next to the hotel. High end shopping in the area. Very convenient to all the historical sites.

I highly recommend the Rittenhouse when staying in central Philadelphia....and if you are planning a wedding, you should consider the Rittenhouse.

• Stayed: September 2010