“Simply perfect, I never wanted to leave”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bucks County
“Simply perfect, I never wanted to leave”
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This was my first time staying at the Rittenhouse. I booked a room and planned a dinner at Lacroix for my boyfriend's birthday. Everyone and everything from the valet, door man, front desk, restaurant, room service, chef, sommelier, bartender was nothing short of spectacular. The food was innovative and delicious. It was a truly unique experience. We were treated like royalty (and I assure you we are not!) They really went out of there way to ensure we had an unforgettable time, and I cannot thank them enough. It is very rare to experience the kind of personalized and caring service that we received. We will absolutely be returning on our next trip to the city. Hands down the best hotel and best restaurant in Philadelphia.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IHeartBac0n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed November 28, 2009

The Rittenhouse stands up to its high expectations! My fiance and I traveled for our anniversary and it could not have been more enjoyable. From the second we pulled up the service and staff were fantastic. The valet was wonderful, always ready to grab you a taxi or give you directions. The front desk was more than welcoming, always friendly and always greeting us by name. The restaurant inside (LaCroix I believe) was great! Food and drink were wonderfulThe room was fabulous, spacious, clean, comfortable. Overall the big thing for us when staying in hotels is the service, and this stay was exactly what we were looking for!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire, UK
Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed at the Rittenhouse for two nights on a business trip. Our company had previously used it before for senior management so it looked promising before I'd even stepped foot inside.

And I wasn't disappointed. I think one of the best qualities of a hotel is the staff's ability to recover quickly when things go wrong. Even though our PA had reserved the wrong dates for myself and my colleague, it was zero problem to rebook us for the same night without any fuss or scorn. A great start.

For a relatively large hotel, it's surprisingly easy and quick to get around from the lobby to your room without walking miles. The room I had looked out the back of the hotel, instead of Rittenhouse Square, but it was plush and exceptionally large. I loved the small TV in the bathroom - nice touch, and one few hotels provide. The room was clean, well-presented, comfortable and in very good condition too.

I had the privilege of breakfast at Lacroix each morning which was absolutely sensational. As a Brit who has travelled a lot in the US, I've come to expect large portions of food in the States but the American Breakfast option was perfectly judged and beautifully prepared. You even got a choice of coffee and mineral water, and we were well attended to while in the restaurant - the waiter remembered our orders from the previous day.

Even the guys in valet were friendly and helpful, directing to us to South Broad Street when asked. The Rittenhouse is five-star for a reason and it is well-deserved.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Ben W
Baltimore
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I think anybody that reviews less than 5 is just the type of person that is never satisfied. Everything from the door guy, to the receptionist, to the room service was outstanding. I had taken my gf here for our 4 year anniversary and she couldn't of been more happy with the place. Even though the view we had was not the greatest it did not really matter. How many times am I going to stand at the window anyway? The bed was definately the most comfortable I have ever slept on which make it very hard to get up in the morning. I highly recommend to anyone staying in Philadelphia to check out the Rittenhouse hotel. Its a great hotel for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I chose this hotel based on the location. I'm not from the city but knew Rittenhouse square was the place we wanted to be. My sister and I had an overnight get-a-way for her birthday and we wanted to have some luxury, valet parking, and be able to walk safely to just about anything we wanted. The hotel completely lived up to all that. We didn't get a great rate, or an upgrade but were happy with the room. I would have given it 5 stars if the view from the room was a lot better, the room was cleaner, and there was some type of coffee brewing ability in the room. I believe the hotel was sold out and i'm sure not all the rooms have the best view and that can't be helped. The layer of dust on the flat screen TV in the bathroom was not as gross as the layer on the lid of the ice bucket. When we moved a chair a bit for room service we noticed a balled up piece of trash and an unvacuumed carpet. We wondered if the shower floor was dirty or just stained but we were not uncomfortable with the overall cleanliness--we just noticed it. There were plenty of countertop spaces for a little keurig coffee maker too. Instead, we had to order room service for morning coffee. We were very comfortable in the room and enjoyed the space though overall. I had stayed in Sofitel right down the street a year ago and would clearly choose the Rittenhouse again.

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank DeTraveler05
New York
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Recently I stayed at the Rittenhouse just for 2 nights. I my self am not a luxury traveler, I brought my two teenaged nephews with me just to see Philadelphia. When I go to hotels I do not like to spend a lot of money but for this all of the money was worth it. If you are a cheap traveler, let loose a little, this hotel is worth every single penny. From check in to check out I and my nephews were treated like royalty. As for the rooms, one word, BEAUTIFUL, the rooms had a wonderful atmosphere that lit up everything. The location was great, close to the main historical sites. Everyone has got to try this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank hotelgirl0
New Haven, CT
Reviewed October 8, 2009

It always helps the romantic aura of a hotel to be across from the park where I began my art career: The Rittenhouse Park Open Air Art Exhibit was one of the most memorable events of my life. I always loved Philadelphia for its small town feel while being oneof the largest cities in the country.

The Rittenhouse Hotel, built on the site of the old Notre Dame School, seems to have absorbed some of the energy from the school: it is extremely well managed (perhaps the ghost of the old Head of School oversees the contemporary management), has a bit of old world feel while being very modern and glamorous. The room I was in (a corner, albeit) was a wonderfully laid out and beautifully appointed king size room with a sitting area and a separate desk nook. TV junky that I am, I loved the 2nd TV in the bathroom which had both a tub and separate marble shower. The space between the bathroom and the ample closet was put to good use as a "makeup counter" of marble with a lighted magnifying mirror (also one in the bathroom) and 3-angle wall mirrors. The ice bucket and glasses were here so they did not crowd any of the other surfaces. The bath amenities had not been altered or reduced in number as a result of the economy and the staff seemed far less unctious than at many hotels of this level.

I slept extremely well because the delicious mattress but alswo as a result of good sound-proofing and well-positioned drapes to cut out the daylight. I am rediculously sensitive to light in the morning.

The two occasions/meals that I had to taste the food was very positive despite the circumstances that did not permit me a full course meal to test out. I attended a conference where a wonderful breakfast spread was laid out. Similarly, a tea with family one early evening was very pleasant.

There is a very good health club and spa; good TV selections; nightly turndown and next-day weather report left in the room each night complimentary newspaper of choice; complimentary minor tailoring and travel amenities; the view over the park rejuvenating; the price (even for a conference) was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel highly!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business