“A true oasis in the middle of Philadelphia”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Naples, Florida
“A true oasis in the middle of Philadelphia”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our stay was exceptional. Once you enter the property of the Rittenhouse (off the Rittenhouse Square) you feel like you are entering an oasis in the middle of Philadelphia. The service was impeccable from check in to check out. We felt safe and enjoyed our stay immensely. We were present during the remodeling but we did not know anything about the remodeling process going on. Noise was not a problem but then we had an upper floor. The restaurants served excellent and unusual offerings. My wife and I cannot wait to go back and stay again at the Rittenhouse. A note about the General Manager, Mr. RA who does an awesome job responding to each and every survey as well as TripAdvisor reviews. That is a true demonstration of commitment to the Hospitality Industry. To the entire staff of the Rittenhouse: keep up the great work!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms with great views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DrLFoodie
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Rittenhouse as your Philadelphia home. We are proud of the many upgrades we have put in place to date and the new spa, salon and health club that is slated for later this year. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about your experience and hope to see you again very soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about this hotel and their staff. From arrival to departure they cater to your every need. Dena at the front desk provided impeccable service and followed up to see if I needed anything. Rooms were spacious and well equipped for business needs. The only item lacking was an on property fitness facility.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mitchel L
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Mitchel,

Thank you very much for recognizing Dena at the Front Office for providing outstanding service. We are certainly proud to have her on our team and will be sure to share your comments with her. People who enjoy their jobs often do their very best. No doubt that Dena falls into this category...

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Rittenhouse sometime soon.
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Philly is a great old city, in the tradition of Manhattan and Baltimore; numerouse Art museums and historic Colonial sites are perfect ways to spend time here. Have spent several New Year's Eves at The Rittenhouse, always very nice and comfortable; excellent service, and the staff is great. LaCroix is pricey but worth it for the special occasion... Will definitely return.

Room Tip: View of Rittenhouse Square would be preferable...
Green Features: Green initiative impressive... happy to keep the sheets, turn-down will refresh the towels a 2nd time if you need it...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank EscapingDC
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Happy New Year to you and thank you for ringing it in with us. We hope to see you again whenever you are in Philadelphia. Please be sure to come back later this year to check out our new spa, salon and health club.
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Every aspect of my stay at the Rittenhouse was flawless. Each department - reservations, bell, front desk, housekeeping, room service and dining - executed their jobs flawlessly and with a sense of pride and ownership. Within minutes of being checked into my large, upgraded corner room with a view of the park, I received a note an delivery from the front desk welcoming me and providing a small snack and some nice bottled water. Housekeeping came a few minutes later with turndown service and more water. Room service was right on time the next morning. And despite a remodeling in progress, the make shift gym was very well appointed and had a nice tv, current newspapers, fruit, etc.

I needed to have an informal business meeting in the lobby and the staff was kind enough to set up a table in the Mary Cassatt tea room which usually doesn't open until two and have room service deliver coffee service for me and my guest.

The lobby and common areas are very well designed and attractive. The library bar is quite impressive, too.

I typically don't eat in hotel restaurants but tried Lacroix for lunch and had a terrific salad and vegetable lasagne. On my departure I asked the front desk if they knew where I could get something sweet and they brought me a sampling of small baked goods on the house.

Frank the Conceirge has been recognized but Andrew Harper as the number one concierge in the country and it shows. He's much more than someone who knows how to operate google. His associate Brian was equally helpful as was all the front desk staff and the other service departments.

Very few hotels -especially those in prime locations- manage to get everything right but they really have it buttoned up at the Rittenhouse. Look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room facing the park if possible
Green Features: Loved they they don't automatically default to not changing your sheet but rather give you the option to opt in as opposed to opt out!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jags-Fan-1
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Frank and Brian are true professionals who always go the extra mile to assist, as do all of our team. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed it so much and plan to return. In the meantime, have safe and memorable holiday and we will see you in 2014.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed December 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I and our two young children celebrated my wife's birthday last weekend. From check-in to check-out, the staff were tremendous. They really made us feel special, particularly our children. When we entered our room, our children's names were spelled out in sponge letters on the bathtub. Only the Rittenhouse would do something like that. With the park across the street and the shopping and dining nearby, there is no better hotel in Philadelphia than the Rittenhouse.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Shawn H
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Shawn,

Thank you so much for recognizing our efforts. We try to take special care of children as they will be our future guests after all... We hope you always make us your home away from home whenever you are in Philadelphia.

Best wishes to you and your family this holiday season.
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This review was inspired by a woman named Yvette on the housekeeping staff. As I was checking out, I noticed that I had lost an earring. It was special to me, and I was sad to lose it. I had already checked the room, but I thought I would give the housekeeping staff a heads up that I lost it, and show them the one I still had, so they would know what they were keeping an eye out for.

Yvette suggested that we go back in the room and look together. She said four eyes were better than two, and she found it for me! She was so genuinely kind and helpful, and it was a pleasure meeting her.

The front desk staff and the door staff and the night butler were also helpful and positive.

I enjoyed my stay. The room, and the hotel were lovely, and the location is great, but the staff makes all the difference.

I also loved that it is a completely smoke-free hotel.

Thanks to Yvette and her coworkers.

I will be back...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Denise M
Dear Denise,

Yvette is a wonderful asset to the Rittenhouse and is very kind of you to relay this lost & found story in your review. Occasionally guests leave behind belongings and without fail, our team of housekeepers reunites them with their owners.

In this case, Yvette truly went above and beyond. She has been given special recognition by us, thanks to you bringing it forward.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in one of the new Park Suites and can only reiterate what has been said by other reviewers. This is a fantastic hotel with excellent staff who go out of their way to accommodate any request. The suite was beautiful and it was so convenient to have the kitchen area. Can highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Philadelphia

Room Tip: The Park suites are newly renovated and have a beautiful view of the park
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Very happy to have you with us all the way from the UK... We are very proud to offer our new Park Suites and are adding new amenities continuously, including our Library Bar, Cassatt Tea Room and Rittenhouse Health Club, Spa and Salon (opening spring of 2014).

We look forward to seeing you again whenever your travel brings you to Philadelphia. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.