My little family of four just returned from 4 days at the lovely Rittenhouse. Neither child wanted to leave, both very happy in both Philadelphia and our Square view suite at the Rittenhouse.
And really, who could blame them? The suite was comfortable and reasonably spacious, sporting a foyer, a 1/2 bath, desk, couch, wingback and table for two in colonial style, sporting prints on the walls, and a gorgeous view of the budding trees in Rittenhouse park. They were treated like princesses, offered gifts on arrival, sent cookies and milk as a first night treat, were greeted with their names spelled in sponges in the tub, and played for hours in the pool. Both room service and LaCroix were extremely gracious and accomodating to their six and three year old needs.
Mom and Dad were happy, too. Our bedroom had a king bed covered in beautiful linens, its own 42" flat screen, two comfortable arm chairs, a dressing area/vanity, and a marble bath with shower and large tub. There was plenty of room to stretch out and find some personal space.
The hotel design is classic luxury, as opposed to modern, which suits the surrounding neighborhood well. The location is perfect for shopping on Walnut and Chestnut streets, and quick trips (10 mins) to the major attractions. The area is rife with excellent restaurants in all directions, and is three blocks from Capogiro Gelato, which is a must visit. But if you don't feel like walking, you won't go wrong with the two options in the hotel proper: Smith and Wollensky's steakhouse, and LaCroix for amazing continental fare.
The staff was uniformly excellent, solicitous, and personal. Housekeeping called us by name every morning. FOH staff was also excellent. Room Service was prompt, polite and friendly.
My nits were minor, and I present this list only for the most finnicky traveler. The valet parking charge is $41 per day, which I think is pretty high. There is no cordless phone in the room. Outlets are hard to find for charging electronics on the nightstands, where most travelers park their ipads and phones these days. It would be nice to have a master light switch near the bed. The curtains didn't fully black out the windows, and the heating/cooling fan is on the loud side (doesn't bother me, but I know some very light sleepers...). I suspect the rooms will be refurbished in the next few years, as some of the bath fixtures and furniture are due for updating. The flat screens in the bathrooms are nice, but take up valuable sink real estate, and there is room for two sinks in the master, but there is only one. It was a shame that the Cassat room was closed for renovations, but we'll save that for the next visit.
We will definitely be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Forbes Four Star Award winning Rittenhouse Hotel is rated one of the top hotels in the world as well as #1 hotel in Pennsylvania by Travel + Leisure. The Rittenhouse has an ideal location directly on Rittenhouse Square for business or pleasure. Guests may walk out with easy access to boutique shopping, restaurants and the Center City business district is just steps away. The guestrooms at the Rittenhouse are the largest in the city, the smallest measuring 450-600 square feet, with views of Rittenhouse Square or University City. Guests enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, overnight shoe shine and newspaper delivery to their room. Lacroix at the Rittenhouse is one of the top restaurants in Philadelphia with panoramic views of Rittenhouse Square. Immerse yourself in an oasis of relaxation in Center City with a menu of massage and salon services, spa packages and fitness center at the Rittenhouse Spa, Salon & Health Club with hair by Paul Labrecque. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your The Rittenhouse Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse Hotel Philadelphia
- Rittenhouse Philadelphia