“Rittenhouse Hotel Renovations”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Can't wait til all the renovations are competed. The hotel looks great and the quality of materials being used will only amplify the beauty of the hotel. As usual, service and food was excellent. Had a discussion with the Chef about sustainability and was pleasantly surprise to hear about the care taken to where food (especially meat and fish) products are purchased.

Room Tip: Within walking distance to lots of activities in Philadelphia.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

We are certainly excited about our recent upgrades as well. As we enter the summer months you will note a beautified reception and lobby area as well as refinements in the guest hallways and rooms.

In the kitchen and elsewhere we are committed to sustainability through our Earthview program. Thank you for inquiring and recognizing our efforts on all levels.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My wife and I spent a night at the Rittenhouse after viewing the Barnes Collection. It was an excellent pairing. After a pleasant train ride from New York, we checked in to the Rittenhouse, went off to the Barnes Collection only several minutes cab ride away and then returned for dinner at the hotel's Lacroix restaurant and a night at the hotel, returning to New York the next morning. The Barnes Collection is an unbelievable and unique experience: the most amazing collection of art imaginable and beautifully displayed. It alone is worth the trip.

The Rittenhouse is a modern hotel with old-world intimacy and charm. The staff quickly learn the guests' names and use them. The concierge was very helpful and the other staff were very eager to please as well -- from the doormen to the bellmen to the chambermaid.

We had a delicious dinner at the hotel's Lacroix restaurant. If we had stayed another night, we would probably have eaten at the Smith & Wolensky restaurant that is also in the hotel.

We were upgraded to a large and well-furnished suite with all the expected amenities, including 3 televisions, a hi-fi to connect an iPhone or iPod, a lovely and comfortable bed with excellent linens and a duvet. The bathroom provided a large tub and a separate shower, with a dressing room en suite. Providing an iron and ironing board is a welcome extra for travelers who like to dress well after unpacking their suitcases.

Our package (from American Express Platinum) included both continental breakfast and a $100 credit for either Lacroix restaurant or the 210 Bar, which was a real bargain.

There is a first class gym and spa and a very nice indoor pool on site.

The locale -- Rittenhouse Square -- offers a nice park and a nice view.

We will surely return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jacques,

Thank you very much for your take on your recent visit to The Rittenhouse. We continue to partner with the Barnes Foundation to provide access to this wonderful addition to the city of Philadelphia. The hotel itself boasts a perfect location which we try to compliment with personal service.

Please come visit us again soon. We appreciate your return business greatly.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My only criticism is that they should have informed my company's travel booking department of the renovation work going on in the common areas of the hotel. A minor inconvenience, however worth mentioning when room rates are $300 plus per night. Otherwise, they have gotten everything else right. Exemplary customer service. The concierge provided me with a tie for my meeting last minute, as I had forgotten to pack one. I gave him a small tip as I was in a rush and did not have change. As I returned the tie the next morning and attempted to give him a proper tip, he literally refused to accept it, saying it was no big deal. That is real impressive stuff, and I will absolutely be returning to stay here again for both business and pleasure. Breakfast at Lacroix is pricey, but well worth the views of Rittenhouse Square. Plenty of restaurants and night life on the Square. Room was huge, clean and very nicely appointed. Bathroom had a small tv and phone, nice touch. Great spot.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Knowing our Concierge, there are few lengths we would not go to look after you. Thank you for sharing your experience and for choosing to stay with us.

Our lobby renovations are nearly complete and we will continue with refreshes of guest hallways and rooms this summer. We expect this work to be much less obtrusive. Please join us again soon for a spot of tea or cool beverage in our Library Bar or Cassatt Tea Room.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is currently renovating but you would not really know. They want to make the guest experience number one. I stay here a lot and it is the nicest hotel I have found in Philly. You won't be disappointed staying at this amazing hotel

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Cystokid
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Coming from a top contributor and well travelled person such as you, this review is especially meaningful. thank you very much for recognizing our efforts. I am happy to report that our newly renovated lobby will be complete next week and we have several other improvements planned over the coming months. We will take care to ensure that service and ambiance does not suffer in the mean time.

Safe travels to you! We hope to see you again very soon...

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My daughter, granddaughter and I visited Philadelphia overnight and had a lovely time at this fine hotel. Not only was the staff courteous and helpful, they went out of their way to accommodate our 7 year old. When the beds were turned down, they had a small robe and slippers on her bed. We even received delicious popcorn to accompany a free movie. We were driven to dinner in their hotel Jaguar and enjoyed every minute of their wonderful services.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

We truly appreciate your thoughtful feedback on your stay at The Rittenhouse. Our youngest guests are very important to us and we try to make them feel special at every turn. It sounds as if your granddaughter is a new fan!

Thank you for bringing your family to visit. We look forward to seeing you very soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and two children (6 and a half year old daughter and 1 and a half year old son) just came back from an overnight trip to Philly. I can say, without question, that The Rittenhouse Hotel is one of the all time greats. From the minute we pulled up, we were treated like royalty. While I checked in, the Bellhop invited my children to pick a toy from the "Treasure Chest".

I explained that I was concerned that my son, a screamer, might keep people up at night. I was assured that the position of our room (one of the 08 rooms) was such that it would not be disruptive to guests nearby. The room, by the way, was an upgrade from the original room we booked. We were grateful for the additional space and the amazing view of the park across the way.

The concierge staff was extremely helpful to suggest an itinerary for our short visit, and we managed to see many of the famous sights, and ate well. We even managed to take a ride in the Jaguar to pick up a late night cheesesteak!

My only regret was that tea was not served in the Cassatt Room. It was the highlight of a previous visit, and I wanted my wife and daughter to experience it. Because of the renovation, the tea was served in a small board room. My daughter still felt like a princess, but I would have loved to see her face light up when walking into the Cassatt room.

All in all, it was a really special trip and we look forward to staying at The Rittenhouse again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of The Rittenhouse! We greatly appreciate your feedback and are happy to announce that our lobby renovations will be completed in a few weeks time. We will once again be offering Afternoon Tea in Cassatt and will have an additional bar on the lobby level as well.

We look forward to seeing you and your family again sometime soon.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wanted to give this hotel 4 stars I really did, but in truth it falls short of 'very good'

We arrived here by happy accident. We had mistakenly booked into the Rttenhouse 'boutique" hotel a few weekends prior. (its around the corner) We were greeted with champagne and cookies at reception and on realizing our mistake, we were invited to finish our treat before heading off to the hotel we had accidentally booked.
We were so impressed by this greeting that we vowed to return and use the hotel at a later date.
When we did return for 4 nights over Easter recently, no champagne and cookies! Oh well maybe it was a one off, I'm really curious to know?

We used lots of the facilities, including the spa and the french restaurant, and here are the ups and downs we experienced:-

The rooms are extremely large, comfortable and have fabulous views of the park. Maid service was top notch. The decor is dated, though, and a few fairly simple changes could spruce them up. We also had the room next door to the presidential suite, that has a piano. There was a young child staying next door in the suite who took a liking to said piano rather early...Soundproofing is not the best:)

Likewise, the spa (where we dropped about 600 bucks for 2) was tired and NOT up to the standard of a classy hotel. Small grubby changing rooms etc. The treatments themselves were fine, but I would choose somewhere more sumptuous next time. Work on the feng shui guys.

Dinner at the French restaurant (where we also dropped about $500 for 2) was quality as expected, but it didn't end well.... We took a fairly late booking around 9. We are European, so we don't bolt our food or do the "early bird" :) As the other dinners left and the ambience drifted away we were treated to the construction site scene of the tables being broken down for breakfast all around us. It was LOUD! It made us feel most unwelcome and "in the way" so we headed to the bar with our drinks. The waiter clocked what had happened and was most apologetic. As was the manager/sommelier who appeared. The right things were said, and they have noted that this should not happen. I truly believe they will put a stop to it, but alas for us, instead of staring into each others eyes amorously after a nice meal, we were discussing restaurant etiquette with the staff, the moment gone.

On the first night we arrived back at the hotel looking for the hotel bar for a nightcap. (Not terribly late, perhaps 10.45pm.) There is a bar in the french restaurant up on the second floor, but it is around the corner and you have to pass the host/hostess table to access it. We asked the guy on duty where the bar was as we wanted a nightcap and he said it would be closing shortly. When we exclaimed that a large hotel in a city closing its bar so early was not up to par, there was much back tracking and descriptions of how how the bar was often open until 1.am. We left, headed downstairs and found the bar in the steakhouse adjoining.
A bar in the lobby, (which is the heart of a hotel no?) would be most welcome.

We had rented bicycles that were delivered to the hotel. All went well there in retrieving and dropping off from the concierge to the bellmen, to the doormen.

There are some great staff in the hotel and I am sure that they work very hard, but perhaps a word of encouragement/advice from the senior management would be well placed.
An example.
In one elevator ride, a member of staff greeted me and chatted; wonderful.
On another occasion, two staff turned their back on me (the guest) and chatted together, I had to ask them to move so I could exit the elevator.
Its going that extra mile that makes the difference and in some departments things are not quite firing on all cylinders.
I hope that this criticism can be taken constructively. Its not in malice. I really was rooting for you all after the original champagne moment.

Will we go back?
Perhaps... We love Philly and the Rittenhouse neighbourhood in particular. The rooms have delightful views over the park.
On our last evening though we stopped for a drink at the Sofitel around the corner. In their "lobby bar" :)
We liked the vibe. Everything looked new, shiny and sophisticated. The barman was friendly. We will probably give them a try first.

Room Tip: We were in room 818. Wonderful views of the park but beware the grand piano next door.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jonah,

We hope to earn not only "Very Good" but "Excellent" ratings from you on future visits. Many things are already in motion such as our lobby renovations complete with a new library and bar. Champagne on arrival is currently offered on weekend only but will be extended once our upgrades are complete. Further, the spa, salon and fitness area are next up for a complete face lift.

As always, we pride ourselves on service and sincerely hope that you return. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance whatsoever.