“Beyond Expectations, Great for Families” 5 of 5 stars

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 84 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beyond Expectations, Great for Families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I traveled the world for 18 months and, as you can imagine, stayed in many hotels along the way - few stand out anymore now that we are home. But the Rittenhouse is an exception - the service is incredibly attentive, to giving my very sleepy kids presents from the "Treasure Box" when we arrived, to helping us with our car, directions, welcome cookies, etc.

Most recently, my husband discovered he left his shoes there, and almost a month later (of course, he didn't tell me until now) they located them and promptly put them in the mail. If you've ever lost anything in a hotel before, I'm sure you agree that this almost never happens (actually finding them, and then having them sent to you).

As for the rooms, they are big, and comfortable. Even with four of us in a deluxe room (one bed, one pullout, and a crib), we slept great. The bathrooms are large and luxurious. We had a nice view of Rittenhouse Square.

Basically, it's hard to put your finger on the one things that was great about it - because so much was - but I left the Rittenhouse feeling refreshed and happy, which is a sign of a great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear walkaboutnyc,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We are very happy to hear about your favorable impressions of The Rittenhouse and that we were able to reunite your husband with his shoes. All of our team here truly cares about your experience. We hope to see you again when you next visit Philadelphia.

Reg Archambault

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

My wife and I checked in for a romantic weekend during President's Day weekend in February. From the minute we checked in, we were treated like the most important people in the hotel and made to feel like a million dollars everywhere we went.

Our room was spacious with a wonderful sitting area and an amazing shower/bathroom. Our bed a defect in it and I complained the next morning and the staff responded by refunding us a portion of our stay. I couldn't be happier with how we were treated by this gesture by management.

The Spa was wonderful and my wife and I had great massages while we were there and I would recommend visiting the spa/workout facilities which were first class.

It is located in one of the best areas of the cities and we walked around the corner to go to dinner and lunch the next day at two of the best restaurants in the city.

Our experience could not have been better!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cdk104
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear cdk104,

Thank you for visiting and posting your review of the Rittenhouse. It is a pleasure to hear what a positive experience you had overall; especially since you had an issue and it was quickly resolved once brought to our attention. We often find this is the best route for speedy recovery of any glitch.

Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays! Please come back to see us again soon.

omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I read mixed reviews about the Rittenhouse hotel and did not know what to expect. My stay there was amazing, excellent large rooms, very good location and excellent customer service as well. Everybody was friendly and helpful. It is definitely a hotel with special character. The rate is a little of high side but overall it is a good place to stay in Philly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mungo777Omaha
Dear mungo777Omaha,

The vast majority of our reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere are overwhelmingly positive. I am happy to see that you concur with that assesment based on your recent visit.

Please consider us your home while in Philadephia. Thank you for taking the time to tell others about us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Rittenhouse many times, and it is an excellent hotel. It has a perfect location on Rittenhouse square. The rooms are good sized and very nicely appointed. Unlike some other comments that have been posted, I think the room decor is outstanding. So many top flight hotels these days have gone metal, sterile and cold with their decor, whereas the Rittenhouse rooms have a tremendous sense of home, comfort and sanctuary. These are rooms that you actually like to spend time in on a rainy day with a good book! I hope as the hotel refreshes the decor in 2013 that it doesn't lose any of these fine qualities, and resists the urge to go trendy.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Travelpro513,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. We will certainly keep our focus on comfort and home-like warmth when we refresh our rooms in the coming year. Our real focus will remain on personal service which will never change... no matter how many times we upgrade the product.

The fact that you are a frequent and repeat guest is very important to us. Please let me know if I may ever be of any assistance at all.

Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is not part of a chain, but I really enjoyed this hotel.
The rooms a re extremely well equipped, with a sitting area besides the bed room. They have great room service, including polishing your shoes free of charge and are very helpful in every way.
Considering the hotel grade, not too expensive.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank yacovk
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear yacovk,

Thank you for taking the time to let others know of your experience at the Rittenhouse. We are an independent hotel and are therefore more flexible than others when it comes to how we approach service. I am happy to see that you found us both refreshing and welcoming.

Please make us your hotel of choice in Philadelphia. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I had the pleasure of a week-long business stay at The Rittenhouse, perfectly located on the northwest corner of Rittenhouse Square which is the best community in the city. It is less than five minutes to countless shops, boutiques, cafes and bars. The room itself was surprising large, and everything was very clean and comfortable. I am not sure if the service was as anticipated, it was almost as if they knew that I had a lower than average room rate and thus seemed less interested in me than some of the other guests. Steak dinner at the on-site Smith and Wollensky was excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank traveltime841
Reginald A, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear traveltime841,

Thank you for joining us and taking the time to review your experience. Regardless of room rate, you should expect the same levels of service throughout the hotel. I would be happy to follow up with you directly should you wish to elaborate further.

Regardless, we hope that you make us your go-to hotel in Philadelphia. Best wishes for the holidays to you and your family.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I was really disappointed! The hotel is shabby, the rooms pokey and sad (and I was upgraded to a suite) and the bathrooms were cramped and old fashioned. There is no charm --just drabness. I would pass on this experience. The valet parking is $49 and it took over 1/2 an hour to get my car in the morning and they weren't busy. Nothing was good here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ginny00
Dear Ginny00,

I am truly sorry that you came away so disappointed from your visit with us. Your point is well taken on the room product and all guest rooms are scheduled be refreshed in 2013. Regardless, all rooms at all times should be pleasantly appointed and immaculately clean despite their interior design.

Valet parking is charges are competitive with other hotels in Center City but we will happily adjust yours as a gesture of goodwill. Please join us again at your convenience. I assure you that your experience will be much more in keeping with what you expect.

Sincerely yours,