“Luxury on Rittenhouse Square”

The Rittenhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Annandale, Virginia
“Luxury on Rittenhouse Square”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I spent one night here earlier this week for a small conference, also held at the hotel, and I wish I'd had an excuse to stay longer. The hotel itself was absolutely lovely, from the lobby to the rooms, and the location right on Rittenhouse Square and walking distance to so much of the city was terrific. I had a beautiful room next door to the Presidential Suite (where Robert DeNiro was rumored to be residing during my stay - he was spotted, but not sure about the room). Don't know if all the rooms are so large - mine was booked for me by the conference - but it was spectacular, with a comfortable king bed, desk, sitting area, large bathroom with separate tub and shower, two closets, etc. It had four large windows overlooking the square. Other than some church bells, it was nice and quiet. Hope to go back sometime - it was a great experience.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank RagtopRedhead
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2011
We appreciate the wonderful review on Trip Advisor and look forward to your return.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your positive experience while staying with us.
The Rittenhouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I chose this hotel for a weekend stay in Philadelphia after reading a lot of reviews on this site, and I'm pleased to say that this is by far the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in! My wife and I checked in immediately following our wedding and were greeted by the friendly and courteous staff. The room exceeded all of our expectations, was a lot larger than what most other hotels will offer in the city, and provided a great view overlooking the square. This hotel is definitely at the top of my list the next time I'm in the Phila. area.

2 Thank Matt M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Trip Advisor. We are so glad you had a pleasant visit with us, and want to wish both of you many congratulations on the occasion of your marriage!
Kind regards
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The Rittenhouse is nothing short of phenomenal! The staff are extremely attentive, down to fine details, and offer exemplary service. The accommodations are luxurious. This was my second stay at the Rittenhouse, and it undoubtedly is one of the finest hotels in which I have ever stayed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ntransit
We very much appreciate your writing a complimentary review to Trip Advisor, and delighted you had a pleasant visit with us. Come back and see us soon!
St. Louis
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I really need to give the Rittenhouse a 4.5 as we were checked into an odd room next to the elevator (which we didn’t really notice until 10 pm) that included a 50+ square foot walk-in closet. We requested a room change for the remainder of our stay, which was taken care of early the following morning. It would have been nice to have had that room originally.. but, so be it.
Other than that miscue, the hotel does definitely rate a “5”! The second room was excellent. The room change was handled appropriately. The hotel staff was attentive and helpful. The suite was well appointed and certainly comfortable. The restaurant service and choices were excellent also. One can NOT beat the location.
I have stayed at the Sofitel Hotel on several other occasions but found the Rittenhouse to be an exceptional property and well managed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank SCB_JR
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy the first room assigned to you, but pleased we were able to move you to accommodations that you liked. We look forward to your return to Philadelphia and The Rittenhouse. We very much appreciate your review on Trip Advisor.
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We visit Philly often as our son goes to school there. We bounce around to different hotels, usually Four Seasons or Palomar. We were traveling with my parents so we thought Palomar would be a bit too "funky" for their taste. We looked at Four Seasons vs. Rittenhouse, and chose Rittenhouse for the Tripadvisor/travel magazine ratings and the better price.

So glad we did. I think it may well be our new Philly home away from home. First, the location is ideal. Ask for a room overlooking Rittenhouse Square and you will be so entertained you will never have to turn on the TV. The rooms are gynormous by any standard, with much more luxurious bathrooms than FS. Traditional, conservative decor, comfy bed and linens. Very quiet rooms, and I love the i phone dock to play my sleep machine app. TV in bathroom is a nice decadent touch, too.

Service is outstanding. Everyone is so very friendly and helpful. We especially enjoyed the staff at the Lacroix bar. We started every evening with a cocktail or two there, and by day two they knew us, and our drink preferences, and really made us feel welcome. The breakfast staff at the restaurant was fabulous, too. And housekeeping, and random staff in elevators... and everyone.

I can't give it five stars as there were a few glitches with regards to inaccurate dining reservations made by the Rittenhouse concierge two out of three evenings. No big deal, and I can't say whether it was their fault or the restaurants, but it was an issue. Also an incident when we were leaving by taxi and in the rush my dad's fingers were smooshed in the taxi door by the bellman. GM responded right away after my survey with this information, and I feel sure these incidents were just random weirdness.

It says a lot that even with these issues, I think Rittenhouse is my new favorite. Can't wait to return soon and re-review giving it the five stars I know it will earn from me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
Thank you for your gracious comments sent to Trip Advisor. I am pleased we had a chance to chat before you departed the hotel, about the problem with your restaurant reservations, and the incident with the valet and the car door. We do so much appreciate that you will be returning to stay with us in the future, albeit there were some lapses in service.
David G,. Benton
pennsylvania
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've typically stayed at the Four Seasons in Philadelphia, PA over the past 10 years and since I wasn't unhappy with my experiences there in the past I continued to do so until this past weekend. My wife and I decided to explore the downtown area and the new restaurants a bit since it was Restaurant week and we were delighted to have made this decision. This boutique hotel was much smaller than the Four Seasons but there was no sacrifices made in service or quality. The entire staff was busy with what seemed to be several events including weddings but we never felt hurried or pressured with any of our concerns by the reception desk, concierge, valet parking, or room service.

The fine hotels program from American Express allowed us an available upgrade to a beautiful room with an incredible bathroom (great shower pressure). We had continental breakfast every morning in the room which I recommend to everyone traveling away from home. The pastries, coffee, and freshly squeezed orange juice was fabulous. A side of bacon finished off a wonderful breakfast.

If we were missing something such a a newspaper or extra soap, they were there in a matter of minutes. The night's rest was blissful with no apparent outside noise and the bed, pillows, and sheets were all first rate. The manager of the hotel even left us a personal note with 2 bottles of water and snacks. All these extra touches made us feel very welcome and eager to return in the future.

I sincerely hope that companies like this will thrive even in recessions because we all need to have an escape every now and then.

1 Thank hopeforman
curious53158, General Manager at The Rittenhouse Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
We are so pleased that you decided to stay with us on your most recent trip to Philadelphia and very appreciative of you letting Trip Advisor know that you had a positive experience. I will pass on your gracious compliments to our staff. We look forward to your return.
The Rittenhouse.
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend. This hotel is really beautiful - the nicest we have ever stayed in, and we generally stay in very nice hotels. We couldn't believe how big our deluxe room was, including a living room area, a little office area, and an enormous bathroom with a separate shower and tub. The decor is classic; not modern, but I didn't think it was dated - definitely upscale. The bed was soo comfortable! Our room was so quiet - not once did we ever hear another guest, or anyone at all. My only gripe was that I wish I had known to request a room facing the square, because our "city view" was mostly of a parking lot - but of course, all of the rooms cannot face the park. I asked to switch but all of those rooms were booked, and I was told that only the suites offer a guaranteed view - the rest are based on request, but not guaranteed. Everyone we encountered on staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The Sunday brunch is an incredible experience and I'm glad we went for it. The fitness center is very cramped but they have everything one would need. When I was there on Sunday morning, there were small children playing in there with their grandparents while their mother worked out. They were very cute but were picking up the hand weights and "exploring". Clearly the guests who were in there were not pleased. I doubt the staff knew they were there - the desk is all the way down the hall in the spa. Also, the gym closes early - around 6pm I think, but they start asking you to leave earlier in order to clean. I think a hotel of this caliber should offer longer hours and a somewhat larger space. I will say that the front desk staff went above and beyond calling local gyms for my husband to try to find one that was open (though none were). The outdoor area off the indoor pool is small and narrow, just 4 or so lounge chairs and a few regular chairs. It worked for me though, as I just wanted to read outside to get a little sun. These are only small matters though, as in all other regards this hotel is top notch and has earned its reputation. We had a wonderful time and were sad to leave, but we will definitely return!

Room Tip: Request a park view room!
1 Thank Melissa B
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. Please let me know when next you are staying with us, so I can reserve a room for you facing Rittenhouse Square.