“Nice hotel I guess” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbus, Ohio
“Nice hotel I guess”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2007

My husband and I stayed overnight at the Rittenhouse for a business meeting. Upon check-in we received champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and cookies, which we great because we were scheduled for a late dinner and hadn't eaten for a while. The room was clean and nice. The hair dryer was fastened to the wall in a peculiar manner that shortened the cord significantly, which made it difficult to blow-dry my hair. I would bring my own hair dryer next time! The turn-down service was nice (two little chocolates), as was the complimentary shoe-shine, free wireless internet, and choice of three newspapers in the morning (although they got our newspapers wrong). I'm sure most people looking at a 5-star hotel would like the service, but we felt a little smothered every time we walked through the lobby - sometimes, you just want to be left alone. On the other hand, out of all the times we walked in and out of the hotel, only once did the doorman actually get the door for us (which is where we would have preferred more help since we were carrying luggage and whatnot). Our spa appointments were very nice - my only concern was that the spa locker room was the same as for the swimming pool, and when I returned from my relaxing spa service, there were a bunch of little kids (boys and girls) taking showers, singing, and fighting with their mother - not relaxing. Overall, the trip was a nice diversion from our daily lives, but I don't think I'm the five-star hotel type, and I certainly wouldn't go back if I had to foot the bill myself. But, if you like that sort of thing, you can't beat the location for downtown Philadelphia.

Stayed October 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Rochester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

We recently booked a getaway weekend (2 day trip). We were delighted with the hotel in several ways.

1. The location is terrific right on the west side of the Rittenhouse square.
2. Staffing was quite attentive starting with a glass of champagne and delicious homemade cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc immediately after check in.
3. The room was nice and large. The decor was pleasant and comfortable. The linens were nice, the bed comfortable, etc.

We would go back in a heartbeat.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank bpconn
Lawrence
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

The Rittenhouse Hotel is quite possibly the most luxurious hotel all-around I've ever been to.
From the premire location on Rittenhouse Square, the superb service, the equisite Lacroix restaurant , to the comfortable rooms the Rittenhouse Hotel seemed to do everything right.
WOW!

• Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank kueric09
Herling
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2007

Arrived late at night after leaving another hotel with poor air conditioning. Was given a room and upgraded to a suite - we described the last experience and the staff joked about it and said things should be fine here. The room was hotter than the hotel we left. We turned the air conditioning down as far as it would go. The bedroom stayed at an uncomfortable 77 degrees the whole night. I ended up sleeping on the pull out sofa in the living room - which I also moved into the corner as there was only one air vent in the room and it blew striaght into a corner. The living room stayed at an uncomfortable 74 degrees the whole night.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Herling
Robbinsville, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband booked the room through Amex Fine Hotels for two nights for my birthday. While the service was excellent (champange and fresh baked cookies upon check-in) the room was less than stunning. We found the decor a bit "dated". The wallpaper in the bathroom was a very 80's orange/gold stripe. Nothing about the room said "luxury". Overall, I felt the hotel was on par with nicer properties in the Westin/W chain but nothing to write home about. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — champange and cookies
  • Disliked — the room decor
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank desnudouno
Batesville, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

My husband and I initially had reservations for the 2nd. Our plane to visit family about 1.5 hours away was canceled and we didn't get in until late Sunday night. The thought of turning around the next morning, getting on a train and spending two days sightseeing was more than I could take. At 10pm on the 1st my husband called to see if we could change our reservation to the 5th. They told us that there would be absolutely no problem. We arrived by train about 11am on the 5th. Our room was ready! It was a beautiful room and I have never dealt with a more helpful staff. We talked to the concierge several times - both we talked to were great and handled our dinner reservations for us. They brought us a welcome tray that said "welcome" with my husband's name in chocolate. My only issue with that was it should have included both of us! The room itself was very large, comfortable and beautifully decorated. The front desk people were great - kept our bags for us on the 6th until we were ready to catch our train. The view of Rittenhouse Square was marvelous. My advice - if you want to splurge at a great hotel with wonderful staff that is helpful at every turn - stay at the Rittenhouse!

• Liked — Feeling pampered - by staff and the wonderful room
  • Disliked — I really can't think of a thing!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Kansas City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Rittenhouse June 30 for two nights. We were initially delighted by the room and service, both room service and housekeeping were great. We were very, very disappointed, however, that the second night of our stay a wedding party had an outside band that played until 11pm. While this is not an unreasonable time during the weekend, it was a Sunday night, coupled with everyone being exhausted from a great day in Philly sight-seeing. Despite being on the sixth floor it sounded as if the music was next door. Upon talking with reception that night, and in the morning during our check-out, we were told that we could fill out a letter. No manager in which to speak, no one to even listen to our concerns. Very un-five star behavior. It soured the entire experience at the Rittenhouse and made the money we had spent there seem wasted.

• Liked — Room service staff
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family