“Decent hotel but in an isolated location”

Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Ranked #63 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 25, 2009

This was my second stay at this hotel - the first time was fine, this time not so fine.Nothing to lose sleep over but I expect better from a Renaissance.

1.The towel hook on my bathroom door fell off. I mentioned it at the front desk on three separate occasions to three different employees, each said they would have housekeeping take care of it - no one did.

2. This hotel is used by many business travelers and we need to know we look acceptable when we go to work - why then is there no full length mirror in the room. If I stood on my toes I could see as low as my knees - had no idea how my shoes looked with the outfit. Not a good feeling when meeting new people.

Otherwise the hotel is nice, the room was a good size, breakfast buffet is good, the bar is pleasant and the pool clean and refreshing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 12, 2009

While this hotel wasn't too bad, in my opinion it just doesn't live up to the other great reviews here. We received a (supposedly) upgraded room, but the toilet handle was loose, the sink drained poorly and some TV channels were missing. In the common areas, some elevator buttons were unmarked and carpeting was worn. The hotel's sign on the building was not lit, making a difficult-to-get-to hotel even more hard to find.

Does any of this affect your night's sleep? No, but hearing the music from a wedding on the 3rd floor does.

Breakfast buffet food was poor; I don't recommend it, even for free. We've stayed at several Marriott Renaissance hotels and this one was disappointing. You don't want to pay more than $120/night here unless you're desperate. But in spite of the facility's shortcomings, the staff was truly accommodating and deserve recognition.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The staff was very nice. Especially Rachel, she is a doll. Our room had a few wet spots and the blankets and the whole room smelled like mildew. We didn't ask to switch rooms as we didn't have the time since we were running out for a conert. So I don't know if it was an isolated incident or not. We had breakfast at the buffett in the morning and it was very good.

Have a clean room is a pretty important thing. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend just in case it wasn't an isolated incident.

The hotel is located on marshlands so I am not sure if that is a factor.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel 5 times during September. This is where my company forces us to stay due to the low rate. At first you are like......wow....a Renaissance. This place is nothing to get excited about, trust me.

LOCATION:
At the end of the airport runway, sort of tucked away in a business park. There is absolutely nothing within walking distance except a couple of office buildings. It's literally surrounded by a swamp. I'm not sure you could even go for a walk if you wanted to.

SHUTTLE:
Generally OK. However, the vans also double as an employee shuttle to the airport (so can can catch the airport train). You can spot the employees standing outside the front entrance smoking. Classy, huh?

SERVICE:
Hot and Cold. Really no other way to put it. I've dealt with some really nice folks that were rather helpful. But mostly you are dealing with total apathy. In fact, there are a few employees I dealt with whom I thought were going to pull out a gun and rob me. Needless to say, the staff is without a doubt unrefined and a little gritty. I don't think most people like their job or the company they work for. Just a little guess.

ROOMS:
This is where this place REALLY needs some attention. For starters, the decor is early 90's, if not earlier. The furnishings (some of which are falling apart) are a mish-mash of styles that don't really go together. The bedding is not bad and I generally slept well. The bathrooms are rather large.

HOUSEKEEPING/UPKEEP:
Can I give MINUS 5 stars here? Whoever runs their housekeeping department needs to be fired. Where do I start.........
1. Twice, my bathroom had USED (yes, including the mouthwash) toiletries that were less than full.
2. Sheets/pillowcases that I'm not sure were changed (mystery spots!) from the last guest. I finally started "marking" the sheets with a little shampoo or toothpaste to make sure they got changed.
3. Lots of scuff marks/stains on doors, walls, etc
4. A tub that would almost completely stop up. I love standing in dirty water.
5. In the gym, I found a lone piece of fruit rotting in a fruit bowl....with a roach crawling on it. Yum.
6. There was a cobweb (with spider) outside the front entrance between a post and a shrub. I don't think anyone had paid it any attention for months.
7. Maids bang on the door (or call your room) starting very early wanting to know what time you are leaving.
8. One morning, 2 maids got into a cat fight right in the hallway right outside my room. Nice.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO STAY HERE:
1. I hope it's REALLY cheap. I mean REALLY cheap.
2. Avoid a room that has a window/sliding glass door that opens into the atrium-pool area. You get a VERY strong whiff of chlorine.
3. Try and get on the 10th (top floor). I get the idea those rooms are the "real" rooms they actually get cleaned.
4. There isn't much as far as food at the hotel. Some days, it appeared as if the restaurant was closed, even during peak eating times. In any case, there is NO food available (even room service) after midnight.

SECURITY:
Let's just say....the employees here don't make me feel confident about my safety and security. Twice, I had key problems with inoperative keys.

In any case, I would avoid this place if you can. There is a brand new Marriott at the airport that is walking distance to the terminal. Honestly, I'd rather try ANY other airport property than go back here. Ick.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank GEOFFS3
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed in Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel not by choice (put in there by US Airways because of canceled flight) and just slept there for a few hours before catching our next flight. The junior suite was very spacious. Shuttle to airport was very efficient. My only complaint was on housekeeping: they did not even clean up the coffee machine and left the old coffee bag inside!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swhli
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for one night. Toured the historic old city area sites. Hotel is a bit out of the way, but for the money we saved on hotel and parking fees at some of the downtown hotels and for the quality of hotel we were able to get for the price, I would recommend it. I would say it took about 15 - 20 minutes to get to the old city area (Independence hall, Liberty Bell, etc.) The hotel itself is a bit older but still nice. It is a bit out of the way by itself with no restaurants really close by. We did not notice any airplane noise at all. The pool and hot tub areas were very nice and clean. The only complaint I had is that the initial room we were given had a musty old smell. They had no problem in letting us change rooms and the next one was much better. I would recommend this hotel. If you are driving, be sure to get a map of the city and map out your route to the old city area. TIP: DO NOT GO TO GENO's Cheesesteaks on Passyunk and 9th. The service was unbelieveably bad and the food was not good at all. The area looked dangerous to me and it was not worth the risk for the lousy food and service we got.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank okie179
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Gorgeous hotel. State-of-the-art. You feel like you're making a grand entrance into the lobby.
Fast, efficicent, extremely friendly & helpful staff both at the desk and in the restaurant.
Rooms were very comfy, cozy, clean, and remodeled or new for current colors & trends.
We loved our stay here! With the relocation of family members to Philadelphia we'll be staying here more frequently.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple