“Avoid This Hotel Like the Plague!”

Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Ranked #59 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Avoid This Hotel Like the Plague!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel after Delta overbooked my flight, and I had to stay in Philly for two extra days. This hotel was awful. I entered my room and discovered that the sheets hadn't even been changed. When I got into bed, I noticed that there was make-up still on the pillowcases- yuck! When I called the front desk, no one apologized, and it took them ages to come up and change the sheets. I ended up stopping someone from housekeeping in the hall, and I started changing the pillowcases myself. Eventually, someone came up and helped me. Either way, even the new pillowcases looked dingy and dirty.

The service at this place was terrible. I asked the front desk to please bring me up a toothbrush because I forgot mine, and no one showed up. I finally went downstairs and got it myself. The breakfast was ok; other than that, the restaurant's food wasn't that good at all. The only bright spot at this hotel was the shuttle driver. She was very nice!

The bathroom was dirty, the room was tired.... shall I go on? This is not your average Renaissance hotel. I advise you to avoid this place at all costs and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank wolfpackgirl12
integrity_9, General Manager at Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We wish to first offer our sincere apologies that we could not give you the type of stay you hoped for. It has been a challenging winter for a great many of our guests and even the staff.

I understand your concerns regarding the bed linen. Please know that each room is inspected by a manager prior to be being placed into the system. The marks you saw I believe might have been caused by our ironer as we had a belt fail and the roller was leaving marks on the newly pressed linen. This being said, your room attendant should have been able to catch this and replaced the linens.

I have shared your concerns with the food with our culinary team. Our Executive Chef will be increasing his observations of the staff to ensure all specs are being followed.

We are now formulating plans to continue with our renovation that was started last year. Again, as you noticed our lobby, bar, fitness center did go through extensive renovation and we plan to continue with the guest floors this year. I hope that you may reconsider staying with us in the future. I would be happy to assist with all arrangements and ensure a delightful stay.

Chris Phillips, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is a really nice business hotel. Clean and efficient with nice people working there. Everyone we interacted with was friendly. Clearly people enjoy working there.

The room was clean and they let us stay late because our flight out was so late in the evening. Sorry to hear others had troubles, I guess the kids got thrown out.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and it was quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on our way back from Miami when our ongoing flight to Halifax was cancelled.Arrived to find Kids running and making a lot of noise throughout hotel with no supervision. Had dinner in the Bar as restaurant was closing. Service was very bad. There was no shop in the hotel so could not purchase simple necessities needed because airline had our luggage. Next morning had a good breakfast in hotel restaurant. Explored central Philadelphia during the day and returned to find our room had not been made up.it took two calls to the front desk before room was cleaned. Had dinner in bar as restaurant not open for dinner on Sunday. food was disappointing. hotel has good shuttle service to airport. Would not stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
integrity_9, General Manager at Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First, we wish to apologize for the challenges you had on your recent stay. I understand your frustration with our younger guests that were not respecting others in the hotel. Our managers and security teams were on and attempting to subdue them which eventually we did catch up with them and sent them to their rooms.

Regarding the meal quality in Dorsey's, I have reviewed your concerns with our Culinary Team. Our Executive Chef will be looking into this and ensure all specifications are being followed. We have been able to get great reviews recently on the menu and some of the unique items we offer. In the case of your experience it may have been a case of additional training that is needed.

We do appreciate the opportunity to serve you and feel that we could regain your confidence with another visit. Please reach out to us and let us assist you.
nova scotia
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Checked in to this hotel on Feb 15, 2014 when our flight was cancelled. We listened to kids running yelling freely in the halls until the wee hours of the morning. No one answered the front desk phone. Tried to get a copy of my bill at 4 am when I left to catch my flight and was told it would be emailed to me. It was not. Called the next day, told the manager would email it to me. Again, nothing. Telephoned again twice today and was placed on a "short hold" of about 15 minutes. I don't know why I cannot get a copy of my bill - they have certainly charged my Visa.

Room Tip: The circular staircase and arrangement of the rooms is terrible. Transmits sound everywhere. No wh...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
integrity_9, General Manager at Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We wish to first apologize for the issue with our younger guests creating noise. Our staff along with security were diligently trying to correct the matter. We did finally catch up with them and were able to invite them to spend the remainder of the night in their room.

Regarding obtaining a copy of your bill, again let me apologize. Please reach out to me and I will personally send along a copy to you.

As you can imagine with the numerous flight cancelations and on top of a holiday we were tested this evening. I know that you did not experience the hotel in a favorable manner, but hope that you may join us again and I will assist with all the arrangements and give you a true Renaissance Experience.

Sincerely.
Chris Phillips
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Found something shoved underneath the mattress. Finally got someone to remove it. Then tried for some food after a long day. Room service took 4 calls to get order right - when we finally got food, they forgot the spoon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
integrity_9, General Manager at Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We wish to first apologize to you for the issues you had with your mattress and Room Service order. We take our service levels seriously being a Renaissance Hotel and I assure you we will address these lapses with our team members.

I have met with our housekeeping management team and a full inspection is being done to check under each mattress and box spring. In regard to your Room Service Experience I am equally as surprised. Our PM Room Service team has consistently been ranked in the top 10 in service. Steps have been taken to make sure that this does not happen again.

I hope that you had an opportunity to enjoy other parts of the hotel including our new Fitness Center as well as Dorseys, our new lounge. We hope that you may visit us again and we can give you the experience you would expect from a Renaissance.

Sincerly,
C. Phillips
Paoli, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Like thousands in our Philly suburb area, we were without power. After a cold, long night, we called all the hotels in our immediate area and none had beds. By then, my cell phone was down to 12% power and I had no internet. Friends in Florida found us a room at the Renaissance. I expected a typical airport chain hotel experience and was pleasantly surprised. We had dinner in the dining room and it exceeded my expectations. The bed was comfortable, with a wonderful duvet and good linens. At breakfast, I was offered fruit as a substitution for hash browns and received a very large bowl of freshly cut melon, pineapple, and strawberries, all delicious despite being out of season. The hotel was clearly full but there was a feeling of comradeship and the staff seemed to go out of their way to accommodate our needs and make our stay pleasant. Three cheers, Renaissance!

Room Tip: Airplanes took off and landed frequently. It was fun to watch them but there was no noise issue. W...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Riverton, Utah
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I stayed overnight at this hotel compliments of Delta Airlines after a flight cancellation. I accepted the voucher with trepidation (was this going to be a fleabag hotel with jets roaring overhead)... And was pleasantly surprised this facility, while definitely dated, had a certain charm and warmth. I was greeted warmly and put in a very comfortable room on the 10th floor. The room was spacious and had the feel of something that used to be luxurious and was now elegant in a quirky way. I was hungry and ate a delicious burger in the bar (the restaurant didn't open until 5). Again, was greeted warmly by the bartender. This place has meeting rooms, spacious public sitting areas, and could not be more convenient to the airport. There is a free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes. While I prefer to stay in Center City, this is a great hotel and worth checking out.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business