“Not great”

Renaissance Philadelphia Airport Hotel
Ranked #64 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This hotel does not live up to the Renaissance franchise name. It seems like this hotel was recently purchased by Marriott and is going through a remodel. Perhaps could be ok some day, but for now, I would not recommend it. Better hotels in the area for the price.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Ryan R

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place is under construction, so hopefully it'll be better shortly. There is an airport shuttle that runs 20min and 40min after the hour. Fitness center is fine, 24/7; the room itself felt dingy, old, not as clean as I'd expect. Hotel bar is expensive. Check-in lady was terse, not welcoming. She made me feel like a nuisance and that it was my fault I didn't know which wifi to connect to. The only nice thing was the late checkout at 3pm the next day and the aveda products. Thank goodness it was just 1 night.

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Monica P
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Normally I don't submit reviews unless a property is really good or really bad. This one was really bad.

First off, they nickel and dime you for everything. Charge for the internet, charge for printing, etc. They even charged me to have a package delivered while I was staying there. I travel all the time and never experienced these sort of excessive fees before.

Second, the bugs/flies were horrible. When we ate dinner in the restaurant, we were swarmed by flies. The server noticed us batting these away, but she didn't seem to care. I thought maybe it was just a problem that evening. But the next morning we had the same problem with breakfast. If there were that many flies where we were sitting, I can imagine what it was like in the kitchen. Disgusting!

The construction was the third issue. I completely understand and appreciate their trying to improvide the property. Moreover, with guests always there, there's probably never a good time to do construction inside the hotel. But it was everywhere. I was traveling with some colleagues on business. We tried having a meeting back behind the lobby area and were quickly forced out of that spot because of saws that started up right next to us. So we went to the restaurant for a little peace and quiet. Soon after that the cutting began in that area. We couldn't get away from it; the noise makes it very difficult for business travelers. We could even hear it in our rooms (on the 9th floor).

Very disappointing stay. Seems like they could have done more to make sure these issues were less of a distraction.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cbass200096
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Good location near the airport. Room was what you would expect from a good airport hotel, clean and comfortable beds, although no minibar. Nice fitness room and pool. However, we were astonished that you had to pay for the internet also at the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel 1 day on a business trip.
First off, GREAT price (even if it was a business trip). $109 plus tax is certainly reasonable.
Great location near the airport. The hotel is a landmark . . . you can't miss it. The only more convenient hotel to the airport is the Marriott in the airport.
Parking is free, which also is a plus. And there is plenty of it.
Check in was only so-so. I don't think they had their best person working the desk that day.
The hotel décor is very dated. At least they are sprucing up the lobby. There is construction going on there.
Concierge lounge was fine. Good hospitality by the staff there.
I used the workout room. It has plenty of treadmills, etc. I really got in an excellent workout there.
I had one unresolved issue. The TV remote in the workout room needed batteries (as in, there were no batteries in the remote, period). No biggy . . . I went to the front desk, and told them what the issue was, and they said they'd fix it ASAP. Well, it wasn't fixed for the hour I was in the gym. Come on guys, this is simple stuff!
They room itself is decent-sized, but again, the whole room needs update including the bathroom. Rooms smell a little musty. At least I had a good view from my high-floor room.
I left on a positive note. At least half a dozen employees said "good morning", "have a nice day", etc. Hey . . . it's small, but it matters. I saw the manager on the way out, who professionally said, "Did you have any issues with your stay, aside from our mess in the lobby." I appreciated this. I told him about the gym issue, and he didn't just give me lip service, he went right back to the gym to see/fix the problem for himself, and apologized. Again, I appreciate this type of attitude.
I did have a meal at the bar, and the bartender was very friendly and outgoing. The cheesesteak was surprisingly good, as well! Had a good meal and drink there. Very relaxing.
Chances are, I will stay here again. Location is good and the rebounded strongly on the service aspects. I hope they continue to remodel this hotel. Then you are in 4 or 5 rating territory.

Room Tip: high floor gives you a decent view of the surrounding area
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel looked like it had seen better days. The staff, however, was excellent!!! Restaurant was pretty good, but in our room the tub had standing water and a leaky faucet, and there was mold around the tub. Patrick, the manager, took care of the problem promptly!! He was great!!! I'm hoping all the other little problems have been fixed: marble threshhold extremely dirthy, springs broken in chair in room, tape on carpet leading to bathroom. Once again, the staff was extremely helpful. Cheers to them!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here the night before our flight to Chicago. After driving from Atlantic City we were enthusiastically welcomed by the shuttle attendant. This enthusiasm continued as we checked in with Tameka and received more friendly service (along with complimentary pretzels!) The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant and the selection was good. The night ended at the bar with the amazing bartender, Cathi! If we ever travel to Philly again, we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business