“The lower end of Hyatt” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Philadelphia
Stuck in MA
“The lower end of Hyatt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

Here for an overnight business trip. Unremarkable all around. Service friendly but staff do not reach out and say "hi". Rooms are decent sized but décor is similar to most business hotels.
Safe was too small for laptop with 15 inch screen, but it had nice outlet inside if you need to charge a phone. Bathroom was unremarkable - clean but no large shower or soaking tub - just your basic tub and curved curtain rod. No honor bar - not that I was going to use it but... Coffee maker had dust in the water reservoir - clearly not inspected or cleaned. Clock - time was wrong and now way to change it. Phone - a loose connection and couldn't make myself understood sometimes.

Meeting rooms fine. Food - tad below average.

Gym - nice equipment and lots of TV's.

Pool - great view of the Delaware River and Camden - at least the edge of Camden. Quite stunning actually.

Outside on the river walk you can meander down to the nearby restaurant on a sailing vessel. Reasonable walk to historic Philadelphia. On the other side you overlook I-95 - so get an upper floor room to avoid the noise.

But nothing that makes one want to rush back.

Room Tip: West side - go up high because you face I-95. East side has river views
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed here in March 2013 for five nights then rented a car to drive to Washington DC for spring break. The airport is far, so you will need to take the Liberty Bell shuttle for $10 or $15 to get here. We got a water view without asking for it. The concierge is very, very helpful. I needed something printed out and thought they would ask me to use the business center, but the printed it for free. The wifi was free and fast! It is a few blocks from the nearest subway station, but we enjoyed the walk. During my walk I popped in to see a house for sale in Old City, passed a Movie theatre, and the independence hall. We passed by an old fashioned candy store (Shane's) where I bought Easter Bunny candy. Franklin Fountain is a famous ice cream Sunday destination located a reasonable walking distance. The area is safe to we had no problems with early eavening walks. The hotel has a nice restaurant offering happy hour drinks and tapas. We tried several bars and restaurants nearby including Amada, owned by Iron Chef Garces. We also tried Cuba Libre for reasonably priced and delicious happy hour.

The hotel has a rental car service downstairs so you can conveniently get a car. Parking in the city is very expensive, so I would recommend taxis.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Charlton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

That's the thing about this hotel: It's nice. Nothing special, just nice. I was on the 19th floor with a nice view of downtown Philadelphia. Folks on the other side had a nice view of the Delaware River, Ben Franklin Bridge and Camden, N.J. The room was average size, with a very comfortable pillowtop mattress. TV had comparatively few channels, and no local sports channel. Location is not super-convenient to Center City and all the historical sites, but a seven minute walk gets you to the subway, and a 20 minute walk (through OK area) gets you to Independence Hall. 10 minutes to South Street and some good restaurants. Didn't try the restaurant, but the bar area off the lobby ($2 draft at happy hour) has a place that sells pastries and coffee for a quick breakfast. You can eat outside on the deck with river view. Biggest complaint: You're paying over $200 a night to stay here and no free wi-fi? C'mon.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better your view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pasadena, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed at this location for a large conference. My Husband and I came into town early to celebrate our honeymoon. We called two days ahead of time to confirm our king room and to request a water side room. I was told by "Jessica" that this would not be a problem to accommodate. Upon arriving I was told that all king rooms were taken and that they could not provide us with a water view, and they didn't know why "Jessica" would have told me that. The lady at the front desk was very unwilling to help. She then informed me that a king room has just opened up (really? At 6pm it just so happened to open up). Our room, although a king, faced the extremely noisy highway (95). I realize the noise is not something the hotel can control, but as a tip to travelers-keep it in mind. Motorcycles use this as their personal speedway and it is very loud. All of the features of the room were just "ok". Nothing spectacular. Our first night there we left to get dinner. Upon returning we realized there was an event at the Seaport Museum and the guests were using the Hyatt garage for parking. We waited on the main road for 10 minutes to get into the garage. When the line didn't move we left. We were forced to drive around town waiting for access to parking. We finally made it back in our room close to 1am-just in time for the party goers to enter their rooms and continue the party. The walls are very thin and everything can be heard-including all bathroom activity. My conference was over at 5pm on Weds. I was checking out that day and requested a late check-out to allow time to attend the conference and gather my stuff. I was told this request couldn't be honored. The lady at the desk acted as if we were a huge inconvenience and she couldn’t even give us until the lunch break to check out. I find this hard to believe because every day that I had been there housekeeping was just cleaning my floor after my 5pm session. Two days later I am hit with charges other than what was listed on my receipt. Conveniently no one is available to take my call and help me with this. The location isn't great if you want to do any sightseeing. There are hotels of better quality, for close to the same price, closer to attractions. There is a significant charge for Wi-Fi and also a large parking charge-PER DAY. Overall it is a nice location for a conference, the food was great, but the service was horrible, and the location a bit of a pain. I visit Philly often and am confident in saying I will not be a repeat visitor of this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jennie F
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This is a recently renovated, very spiffy place. Perfect location for anything 1776 related: bit of a hike if you want to do Rodin, Franklin, or Museum of Art. Low rise means little views despite being on the river. Amazing food within a stone's throw, club floor is wonderful. Only downside is that the gym, which is really nice, has horribly thin walls/ceiling/floor: when idiots drop weights, which seems to be often, it will wake you up at any hour of the night. This is the only real flaw of the place, as it terribly affects sleep quality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Outstanding location in Philly, very good customer service! Very friendly from the bell hops to the weight staff, very enjoyable stay! Rooms were nicely decorated and clean...Look forward to returning to the city as soon as I am able.

Room Tip: High floor suite!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Salem, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed here recently for three nights. Unfortunately, we had to move our room three times due to noise....however, there was never an issue with moving and our final stop was a corner king room on the 13th floor - THANK YOU Joanne (front desk) - she was outstanding! The location is right on the Delaware River....so, commanding views that were worth extra. After reading some of the reviews and seeing that people criticized the location....I was concerned, however, in my opinion, the location was nearly perfect. It is a short walk to Center City - and I mean short! I guess if the weather was miserable I may retract this a bit....but, the walk is literally across a street and down a few blocks - let's face it....we ALL need to be more active. If someone complains about this walk - I have nothing to say! I would strongly recommend the Hyatt Regency at Penn's Landing for any occasion!

Room Tip: Corner king on the water - perfection!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple