“DO NOT GO THERE - MANY LIARS POSTING ON THIS HOTEL”

Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing
Ranked #19 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
cleveland, ohio
“DO NOT GO THERE - MANY LIARS POSTING ON THIS HOTEL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

this hotel was awful. the staff was beyond rude.. take three elevators to get to parking deck...the valet took your key and disappear then he tried to keep MY KEYS from me as a game (guess he expected a tip for not doing his job?) and then tried to run after my car as a threat when i drove away. REALLY THE LARGE BLACK MAN CHASING ME WHO WORKS WHERE I AM STAYING . DIDNT FEEL SAFE AFTER THAT. concierge observed literally ignoring guest questions as if not even there.

i am not going to waste one more bit of time complaining about the lack of service and consideration at this overpriced hotel. trust me there is not enough room to list it all. IF ANYONE SAYS GOOD THINGS HERE…THEY LIE…THEY WORK HERE.

total rip off! do not host even here they give 1/8TH of the food required for your group

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rmoniemony
MCatHyatt, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear rmoniemon,

The statements in your review are concerning in several ways. You mention the staff was beyond rude. That is unacceptable. We don't get comments like that and it is concerning. If you are able to provide specifics it would be helpful so that we may efficiently investigate.

You mention the valet staff took your keys and attempted to keep them from you as a game. Why would they do that? The valet staff do keep keys so that they can park the cars for our guests and bring the car to the front door when guests need to go out or depart. As an option you may use self parking if you are more comfortable parking your car and wish to keep your keys with you.

The only reason a member of the valet parking staff would run after a departing car is if the guests left an item behind or drove off with something on their trunk or roof of the car. In addition to your comment being inappropriate it seems hard to comprehend. If this happened and it made you feel unsafe as you mention why wasn't it reported to management so we could investigate immediately?

We regularly get comments from guests complimenting the concierge staff for their assistance. One of our concierge members has been recognized as outstanding among concierge staff members in the city. Again, if you have specifics please share them and we will investigate immediately.

To state that people who post positive things, as many do, are liars is over the top and an unecessarily harsh judgement on people you don't actually know. Everyone has a right to their feelings and to represent themselves without being accused of something without basis. We don't post our own reviews.

Lastly, you mention that people shouldn't host events here as we give 1/8th the food required for your group. We don't arbitrarily make decisions about the amount of food a group should order. We work closely, often times over several months, with event planners on their requirements including their menu selections. the selections and quantities come from the planners during this planning process. If we have a concern that a person is not ordering enough food we raise it for discussion. Under preparing food for an event has no asvantages for us. Let me know what group this was and I will look into this and we will check our critiques received from the meeting planners we worked with on the event.

I hope you have better feelings from your next trip as that is certainly how it should be. If you have specifics that you would like to share I welcome it. Please keep the information factual and we will investigate. Thank you.

Mike Costello

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed at the Hyatt at Penn's landing hotel one night and had major issues. We gave our 3 month old baby a bath in the sink before going to bed and when we drained the sink the drain was totally clogged. Water started to pour out of the walls and the drain pipe below the sink. We called guest services and they sent up engineering to fix the sink. The engineering person pulled up all of this black gunk from the drain. The sink drained and he left the bathroom in a very gross state.

I called down to guest services right away and asked them to send someone to the room to clean the bathroom. Someone come up with clean towels and didn't clean. I told them that the room was gross and smelled very bad and needed to be cleaned. I also let them know that there was a baby staying in the room. They never sent any one up. I called down again in the morning and they finally sent up a maid at 10 am.

She walked into the room without being asked to come in. She said that she had been told that we checked out and wasn't expecting anyone to be in the room. While she cleaned the bathroom she was making sounds of horror about how dirty the bathroom was. She told us that we needed to leave ASAP because there was rust and mold in the bathroom and she needed to use harsh chemicals to clean the bathroom.

I stopped at the front desk to let them know how unacceptable our stay was and they offered us free breakfast. I was shocked that this was all that they had to say. At this point I stayed in a bad smelling, moldy room, hadn't been able to shower or wash my face, brush my teeth, or do any thing to get clean because the bathroom was not usable and they only wanted to offer me a free breakfast. I asked to speak to a manager and he offered a small refund. I don't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Liz W
Dear Liz W,

I appreciate having had you decide to stay with us but was very concerned to read your comments outlining your stay here. This is not a typical experience at all and please accept my apologies for the issues you faced. This is certainly not what we strive for.

i am available to discuss with you and make the situation right. Please let me know how to contact you.

Hopefully we will have the chance to communicate. Again, my apologies for your negative experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Spent one night with two children. Good location. Had to walk a bit to the old city. Great view of Delaware. Very clean rooms. Rooms a bit on small side. If you park your own car in the garage it is a bit of a hassle to get to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Lyndalou43
MCatHyatt, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Dear IAD_ORD,

Thanks very much for choosing to join us for a second time while in Philadelphia. We appreciate it. Thank you for providing us your feedback. If you care to share any specifics with me relative to your room number we will investigate the areas you mentioned that require attention. We have preventive maintenance programs in place. I appologize your visit took place prior to us correcting some of the marks and items you mentioned.

The DVD players weren't getting much use and quickly become outdated. With the on demand movie options this seemed a better way to go. This is an area that continues to evolve very rapidily. The next generation solutions are being reviewed now.

My apologies other guests woke you during the night while carrying on their evening activities. We have posted reminders about the quiet enjoyment of all, re scheduled management coverage later into the evening and have re deployed the guest room floor shifts of the evening security team. I am glad a member of the staff reached out with consideration for the disturbance.

Also, I regret you had an issue with your keys. Occasionally there is issues with the magnetic strip or the card reader. Odd you experienced it with two sets. While I'm glad the staff accommodated you we'll review the process to see if there might be something else going on. It hasn't been a consistent ongoing issue but we'll check.

Thank you for the feedback. Very valuable. Great to hear we may see you again. We look forward to it.

Best regards,

Trenton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

Good:
The clerk next to the clerk checking me in upgraded me from a king to a corner king.
Customer service is very polite and quick to remedy situations but the situations should not have existed (see below).

Bad:
I waited over an hour in my room for my bags and had to call for them three times.

When I took a bath, I found that the rails in the bath were covered in soap scum and kinky black hairs. Housekeeping had to use Tilex and Brillo to remove it the next day.

I had to ask what floor the pool was on. I was not told at check in nor is it listed in the room or anywhere else.

Service at the restaurant was terrible. I had to track someone down to refill my water and my entree was cold in the middle.

The power went off in my room when I was blow drying my hair using the GFI in the bathroom.

The sheets on the bed kept bunching up - a flat sheet is used on top of a thin blanket instead of a fitted sheet. The bed itself was comfortable but constantly adjusting the sheet all night took any comfort it offers away.

Also, areas of the walls and ceilings and two of the lamp shades had water damage.

As I said before, all staff was very polite and were quick to remedy the situations that arose, but I should never ever have to ASK once - let alone three times - for my bags to be brought up to my room. I should never have to ask for housekeeping to come and clean soap scum and other people's (pubic!) hairs off the bath tub. I shouldn't have to guess where the pool is. And I shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes in the middle of blow drying my hair for the power in my room to be turned back on (only my room was affected- this was not from a storm or anything, it was because I was using my hair dryer and had the bathroom light on).

Overall, a terrible experience and the only way in which I will ever stay in a Hyatt again is if I am personally apologized to.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Amanda L
Dear Amandamandar,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay with us. While it is always great to learn about great service provided by the associates in the hotel it is always disappointing to learn we have fallen short of meeting a guest's expectations. That was certainly the situation during your visit and I really regret that. Please accept my apologies.

Your comments are being reviewed with the management team. Appropriate follow up will take place. If you would like to discuss in greater detail I am glad to do so. We do hope to have you stay with Hyatt again during your future travels and win back your choice.

I regret we let you down. Thank you for calling these issues to our attention to help ensure this amount of problem resolution is not required in the future.

Best regards,

Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have stayed at the Hyatt Regency Philadelphia twice now, and have enjoyed both stays. This stay was a two-night stay in a suite on the 21st floor. The bedroom had two beds and was in generally good condition, although some furniture was scratched, wallpaper had marks, etc. The living room was very large, although some parts, bathroom and kitchenette specifically were very dated looking and the rest of the room had a few marks and scratches, but was clean. We noticed they got new TV's and got rid of the DVD players, which is a shame. The beds were comfortable, including the rollaway, however, as with our first stay, we were woken up in the middle of the night by a party. (I was contacted by a hotel employee afterwards and they are providing compensation) As with the last stay, the 21st floor vending machine was sold out, a minor inconvenience. The parking is not a bad deal and isn't that far a walk, people need to calm down about that. We got to the hotel and were able to check in, but our keys wouldn't work and we got new ones, same issue, and after dinner we got keys that finally worked. The view from the 21st floor was nice. The employees were very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant, where we had breakfast, was nice, and service was adequate. We will recommend this hotel and will return if we come back to Philadelphia.

Room Tip: High floor - facing water is best.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank IAD_ORD
South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

We arrived about 4 on Friday the 12th of August, rooms are ready. Sweet! Except they are on different floors. Booked together, same group, different floors. OK. Can we fix that? Yes we can! Sweet! Room we are given is a handicapped room. Huge shower. No shower sill. Water all over the floor in the bathroom. No biggie, we are headed out anyway.
Getting dinner recommendation from the concierge is like pulling teeth. Nice man, but he does like to talk. He really really LIKES the Chart House. I'm guessing that means he gets a kickback.
If you watch the doormen hail cabs, they cabbies hand the doormen a few bucks each time too. Excellent racket if people are willing to pay!

Out to dinner, a walk around Penn's Landing, stopped to listen to some really good jazz. A nice evening.
Back to our room..... bathroom floor is dry. It's now migrated through the wall to the bedroom, carpet soaked, wall is soaked, baseboard is obviously water logged and stained. This is not the first time this has happened.
Where was our luggage sitting? You guessed it. On the floor against that wall. My husband's clothes are soaked.
A call downstairs, a very nice man from maintenance comes up in a hurry, looks at it, explains the problem and says there is nothing he can do. Oh well.
The rest of the evening is spent blow drying some of my husbands clothes so we can continue with our trip.
The following morning we have breakfast at the hotel restaurant. $75 dollar for 4 adults for the breakfast buffet. Yogurt, make it yourself toast on a toaster that doesn't toast, cold eggs, steamed sausage, some of the nastiest coffee I've ever ever had.
Don't do the restaurant. It was that bad.
I think we gave up at that point. We checked out.
We just weren't impressed, not the service, not the rooms, not the restaurant. The only positive point was the location.

Room Tip: Don't get a handicapped room.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gypsywych
MCatHyatt, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear Gypsywych,

We clearly failed you and didn't meet your expectations. Please accept my apologies. I have reviewed your comments with our management and we are following up. The roll in shower room by it's design will have more water on the floor. Your experience is not what is intended though. We're working on this and thank you for sharing your comments on this.

We are looking at the toaster you mention. It is working and the toasting setting may have been adjusted too low. We need to keep aware of that. The sausage isn't steamed. Clearly the preparation was not acceptable for you and I apologize. I am reviewing your comments with the Chef for follow up with the culinary team. We are also looking at the coffee making equipment. There may have been an issue with the settings controlling the water. We haven't had additional complaints so maybe it was procedural in which case this will be reviewed with staff for appropriate re training and review.

Your comments regarding our bellmen and concierge taking kickbacks and bribes is concerning. It also does not seem to be accurate based on shoppers and observations we have. The cabs stationed across from the hotel have a protocol which we don't have control of or involvement in. Our concierge staff, like all concierges, may becommunicated with by any number of restaraunts in the area so they understand their offerings. Our guests like options and very often remark on the level of assistance they get from the concierge as well as the bell men and doormen. To offer and be loyal to only one restaurant would not earn the complimentary comments we receive. As shoppers and our management team can't be everywhere at all times we're checking your comments and observations.

Your travel should be relaxing, interesting and fun. I regret your total experience didn't measure up to your expectations. Feedback is important and appreciated and we take it seriously and will act on it. Thank you for providing your comments.

Pasadena, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for three nights during our recent Pennsylvania road trip. We booked it because of it's location and the fact that it had a pool. The location was very convenient, but that's about all I can say.

Our room was on a high floor with a side view of the river and city. It was pretty, but the room was very small and not as clean as I expected for the price. It needed to be repainted and much of the furniture was tired and had seen better days. The beds were small and not very comfortable. Also, and this is a minor one, the tv channel selections were quite poor unless you paid for on demand channels or movies. This seemed outrageous since the room was over $200 a night. Also, I do agree that the hotel could provide free Internet. It was the only hotel we stayed in for two weeks that charged for Internet access.

The pool was glass enclosed and had a lovely view. However, it was quite cold, small, and did not have a hot tub. The pictures make it look a bit bigger than it really is.

Breakfast was an issue each morning. We did not want to use the restaurant since we wanted to get out to see the city. There are not many options right by the hotel and we didn't want to start our day by walking to find food so we used the "Express" service in the lobby. I felt sorry for the one person working the area. She had to stock it, take orders, and prepare coffee drinks. The lines were a bit long and she seemed overwhelmed. Orders had to be repeated two or three times before she got it right. Also, the pastry case was not kept stocked so you didn't always know what your choices were, and she didn't volunteer that information.

Overall, I'd look at other hotels in the historic area if you are staying in Philadelphia. There were many excellent choices along the Phlash line which may be better choices for the money. This was the most disappointing hotel of our vacation. On a final note, you are normally asked how the stay was when you check out. This hotel didn't even bother.

Room Tip: Go for the view - only redeeming feature
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SkaterMom22
Dear Skatermom,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Philadelphia. Disappointing to hear you felt the room you were in was not as clean as it should have been and it needed painting. The rooms were renovated in the last few years. Although we are pretty busy we have programs in place to do continuous maintenance and inspections of the rooms. I appologize that we didn't meet your expectations. If you have any specifics regarding your room number plaese share with me and we will check the room immediately.

I haven't had any negativecomments regarding the size of the pool or rooms being small. Pools are limited in the city within hotels and ours seems to be in line with others. that have them. As is the room size. Our beds are either one king size or two doubles within the rooms so there aren't any full or twins that may seem an odd size. I regret the TV channel selection didn't meet your needs. It's a pretty well rounded set of offerings for sports, the networks and movies. The on demand channels meet needs for a specific movie on your schedule.

We find the combination of the restaurant in addition to Perks grab and go meets most needs. The level of activity at Perks comes and goes and additional assistance is utilized to help support any rush of customers. There aren't reservations required for breakfast which is why we offer two options in addition to room service so that guests have choices that best meet their needs to get out and see the sights.

Most similar hotels I have encountered in travels around the country charge for internet. Most of the select service hotels have built the infrastructure in and are not. Maybe someday this model will be more consistent. We are, however, competitive among similar hotels here.

Iregret we didn't meet all of your expectations on this trip and that options available didn't fit in to your schedule of activities and interests. We'll continue to work on getting better each day. thank you for your comments.