“The best budget-friendly hotel I've ever stayed!”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bobbo00
“The best budget-friendly hotel I've ever stayed!”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Before I begin my review, let me just say I work in customer service (airline industry) so service is extremely important to me. If you want excellent service, please read this review. It’s nothing but all honesty…you’ll see why.

I don’t even know where to begin my review on this hotel because everything with the exception with one little problem I encountered met my needs far beyond what I’ve expected out of this budget-friendly hotel in the heart of Philly.

I checked in late on Wednesday evening after coming in on a delayed flight from LA to Philadelphia via Atlanta. When I arrived in Philly, not only was it snowing, but it was raining with a crud load of sleet. After taking a cab to the hotel, I was greeted at the front desk by two lovely front-desk agents—giving me such a warm welcome, handed me a bottle of water, local maps, and lots of laughter.

Upon arriving to my room on the 10th floor, can I just say, “Wow!” How can you beat the price of $105 a night with a spacious, clean, and well-kept room!? Ok, so it’s not the Ritz, but for $105, it’s worth every dime—nice flat screen TV, nice work space area, small bathroom but not a problem—only there to shower and clean myself.

I went back down stairs to ask those lovely agents where to get some good food. They recommended me to get pizza at Zito’s—right around the corner—a great recommendation! It’s been an awesome night so far…

Requested for wake up call that evening, and yes, they called me 3 times to remind me that I had to wake up…shockingly wow!! I showered, got dressed, and went downstairs to get some complimentary breakfast. Nothing gets better than to have some decent breakfast for free—excellent.

Went out during the day and toured around the city. When I came back, I had to rush and picked up a friend from Philly airport. Once again, they greeted my friend, and on to our rooms. My friend, Van, was also impressed. Two thumbs up from both of us. We got ourselves some delicious philly steaks, and got beer at McGillins right behind the hotel. Came back, and next day, we checked out.

Now, o the manager of this property, if you’re reading this, please read below…very important!

The bellman, Daryl, couldn’t have been much nicer, funnier, and so caring. The service was prompt—came up to the room within 3 minutes, brought them downstairs, and put them away in the secure room. When my friend returned from Jenkinstown for an appointment, Daryl had the bags ready, the cab driver come to the hotel immediately in the snowy weather, and advised the cabbie to drive us to Philly Airport. He even gave us a bottle of water—just a nice touch of service. Daryl, I thank you for your hard-work and effort to demonstrate what customer service is all about. I hope to find you next time I stay with you all.

Ok, so the one negative comment—what the heck was wrong with the wireless connection?! I kept loosing my connection and contacted the support desk, yet it wasn’t much help. I guess I can’t have it all.

To sum up my review, I will be staying at this Holiday Inn Express without a doubt because I was satisfied with every category (besides the wireless connection) that I could think of. From the front desk to the rooms, you guys really know how to treat your customers—respect, trust, and loyalty. Thank you Holiday Inn Express Midtown for providing me with the finest level of service.

Overall grade: A++ beyond universe

P.S.: I will be sending my personal thank you note to you all--my stay at this property has been amazing and really shows what customer service is all about--really

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bobbo00
HotelManagement_CEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
We appreciate you taking time to review our hotel. We are please that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, we do offer this daily to all of our guests with a great variety of hot and cold items. We have passed your comments regarding the service on to all of our staff with a extra thank you to Daryl. It is important for our staff to hear when they are doing a good job. We strive to provide a safe, clean and comfortable hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Woodstock, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I was in Philly for 6 nights at this hotel and didn't want to go home. The room was clean. The price was fair. The breakfast was great (much more than I expected). But the staff was exceptional! From Darryl the bellman to Katherine at breakfast and every employee I met... the staff made me feel right at home! When I return, I will stay with them again.

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
HotelManagement_CEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, February 13, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary Express Start breakfast. We have passed your comments regarding the service on to all of our staff. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you soon.
San francisco, California, USA
Reviewed January 17, 2011

The room was nicer than I expected for the reasonable rate. They are large, modern, clean and comfortable. I had only 1 issue with the hotel - their computer/printers that they offer for guests to print boarding passes have viruses and they need to fix that. Not a big deal compared to all of the other good qualities of the hotel. THANKS HOLIDAY INN!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable hotel and we have addressed the issues you raised regarding the computer/printers. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2011

Staff couldn't help enough...super friendly and a pleasure to talk to. Breakfast was amazing and room was fab! Would stay again and again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Thank you for your comments about your stay; we are pleased that our staff is providing exceptional customer service. Also glad to hear we were the favourite hotel on your entire stay; we look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks again for your comments.
Brisvegas!
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Simply the best holiday inn / holiday inn express I have stayed at. As a platinum IHG Priority Club member I have stayed at a few. The check in was smooth and staff at reception friendly. The rooms are quite a good size although bathrooms are small. The rooms and common areas are spotlessly clean. The room we stayed in had a full sized desk plus coffee table and two chairs. The bed was firm and sheets in good condition and again clean as a whistle.
Breakfast was great plenty of tables for the number of guests and the lady attending it was lovely. It is a full choice by HI Express standards so cereal, sausage and eggs, cinnamon buns, donuts, biscuit, toast and muffins and fruit. Just standard fair but all I ever need is raisin bran, coffee and a banana so I am happy. Again the breakfast area is spotless. Unfortunately there is no gym on site.
We ran into the head of maintenance who was just a lovely man, he has been there twenty years and shared a few stories with us – nice. One of the managers greeted us at breakfast and checked on our stay.
The hotel is close to most things, it is a 5 minute walk to Reading Terminal Market, there are some restaurants on the side street that will cover most people’s needs and a 20min walk gets you to 6th and Market for all the tourist stuff. (Hint: if you want to take a trolley tour you can pay and catch it diagonally opposite Reading Terminal Market – you will see the trolley ticket bus), so you don’t necessarily need to walk to 6th and Market as eventually the trolley tour ends up there.
Check out was smooth and friendly, we saw the maintenance guy again and got a nice farewell.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your glowing review of our property; we pride ourselves on providing great customer service and having a genuine interest in our guests and we are glad to hear that you had a memorable experience with our staff. Thank you as well for your detailed description of our location, we believe we have the best location in Philly and appreciate your detailed description to aide future guests. As you noted we do not offer an onsite gym, however, we do provide access to the Bally's Fitness located near the hotel, so next time you are in town ask us about it and we will be happy to help. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Great location, staff, very clean, free Wi-Fi and delicious free hot breakfast (one of the best in our trip).
Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
We appreciate your response and are pleased you enjoyed your stay; we are one of the best hotels in downtown Philadelphia and our free hot breakfast also features those world famous Cinnabon Cinnamon rolls! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We had a family function in NJ on Sunday so we stayed Fri & Sat night. We had a wonderful experience. Parking was $21 with in/out priv., which is a good deal compaired to other hotels. We checked into our room on Friday around 1pm. Our room was 2 doubles and it was very spacious and nicely appointed. Everything was very clean: sheets, tub, sink, etc. No stains on carpet or furniture. Had a great work desk with lots of outlets, lighting, and ports. Nice view. We had requested a mini fridge, which they offer free of charge, but it was not in our room when we checked in. On our way out for lunch, we stopped at reception to inquire about it. They said they would get one in right away, was it ok if they went in when we weren't there? I say yes...but as I walked down the street I became concerned because I had left my blackberry charging and my son had left his ipod touch behind. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and upon returning, a few hours later we came back to our room and our belongings were where we left them and the mini fridge was in place. The hotel is in an excellent location!!! You are literally within walking distance of all the key historic stops. You can also walk to Reading Terminal market--which is amazing, high end clothing stores such as Ralph Lauren, Tiffany & Co., Juicey Coulture, etc. There are TONS of restaurant options to choose from. The room is large, but the bathroom is very small, but funtional. The beds are triple sheeted and very comfortable. We all slept great. We had a fabulous time in Philadelphia. It is without a doubt one of the greatest cities in the US.
Bottom line...don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, sound like you had an excellent stay and we appreciate your detailed description of our wonderful amenities and our location, which is the best in downtown Philadelphia. Creating a positive guest experience is our top priority and we are pleased that you found your room comfortable and that you had no issues with any of your belongings. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to having you stay with us again.