“Great Location and price but poor service”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #27 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 14, 2007

Great location and excellent price but most of the staff couldn't have cared less.

When we checked in we noticed a strong odor - like baby powder. We assumed someone had gotten over zealous with air freshener and turned on air-handling system to clear out the smell. When we came back to room at around 6 pm it still smelled so we called to front desk. They said they were all booked up and to call housekeeping which we did. But no one responded by 10 pm. Next morning we called housekeeping again. They said they'd be up within 10 minutes. We waited half hour then went to breakfast. We requested new room and did get moved - to a room with a very loud air-handling system. Housekeeping did show up eventually - they were in the room when we came back from breakfast.

Rooms were clean but common areas were not. Good continental breakfast.

Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank cjohn416
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown

Reviewed February 27, 2007

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past few years. The location cannot be beat, especially at the price. The rooms have always been clean, and the breakfast is decent. However, most of my dealings with the staff have been less than pleasant. Most of the people I've dealt with don't seem too concerned with customer service. I've had to wait several times for personal conversations to wrap up to get any assistance. I was once told there were no vending machines in the hotel, and then I found some on my own. When snowed in, I had to stay an extra night and they tried to charge me double for the second night what I'd paid for the first night. When I complained, it didn't seem to be a problem to actually charge me half the extortionist rate, so I guess they were just hoping to rip me off?

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank Penguin07
Reviewed January 12, 2007

We just stayed at this hotel last week. We were in the city and decided to stay last minute and the front desk people were able to accomondate us which was great. I was even able to get a cheaper price because we checked in after 8 PM. For such short notice the room was really nice. The breakfast was great too! The only thing that I did not like was the parking that was connected to the hotel. The ticket that you use to exit the parking lot would not work and the attendant on duty accused me of not paying. When I proved that the ticket was paid for he threw it at me. You have to pay for parking seperatly so park somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rhanni
Reviewed December 26, 2006

An excellent value in a central location. Certainly the wise choice for a business trip to Philadelphia, and a good choice for a family looking for value. Very good breakfast choices for a continental breakfast, large rooms with good work area, and convenient to all downtown sites.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank LFA
Reviewed November 7, 2006

In terms of location it's great. You are a few blocks from the most attractive places in Philly: Liberty bell, City Hall, Museum of art etc...You can walk almost evrywhere in downtown Philadelphia.
HOWEVER, the hotel doesen't deserve the name Holiday Inn for many reasons:
1) I booked this hotel 3 weeks before my stay and they already charged my credit card (the whole amount). Therefore I basically had to pay the hotel 20 days before my arrival!!!

2) When I arrived they wanted to charge me $10 dollars more from the amount that I paid. I had to show them my printed copy of the receipt in order to clear it out.

3) The hotel people (especially those in reception are very unfriendly and rude). You will notice that from the first moment you will arrive.

And one good thing: The breakfast is free and taste good. Don't expect to see of cource any sausage or bacon...

CONCLUSION: If you plan to go to Philadelphia for having good time re-think again if this hotel is good for you. Especially if you plan to spend time inside the hotel (rooms are old and smelly).

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank grevo77
Reviewed October 22, 2006

Our three night stay was very comfortable and quiet, considering the midtown location. Easy walking distance to all historical sites and many excellent restaurants. Buffet breakfast well-rounded with omelets, fruit, cereal and those famous cinnamon rolls. Great value for the money. Staff was very friendly and professional. Took care of minor room repairs immediately.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank twelveoaks12
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Unfortunately I only really spent a night at the hotel so didn't have much time to explore the immediate area, but knowing Philly I can say that the location is close to everything.
What really sets this HI Express apart is the value you get. I paid $115/night to stay in downtown Philly at a more than adequate hotel, that's a great deal in my book.
The free breakfast was outstanding; it's something a Courtyard would charge at least $5.95 for. The $21/day to park is reasonable considering it is downtown and you do get a key card that gives you in and out privileges all day.
It looks like they are remodeling the interior hallways and that is good because the halls and rooms are a little dated, but all in all, a great deal.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business