Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
The Bellevue Hotel(Philadelphia)
  • Room Service
Alexander Inn(Philadelphia)
1,088 results
All reviewshi expressgreat locationwithin walking distancewalnut streetparking garagebreakfast roomjefferson hospitaloutdoor poolyogurtwould stay here againfree breakfast isliberty bellbreakfast barconvention centerhot breakfastfront desk staffhistorical sites
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend got a great room rate, so we took a quick weekend trip to Philly. I've heard good things about this Holiday Inn Express before. I couldn't believe the size of the rooms. Huge for a hotel in a big city, at least 360 square feet. We had two double beds and a rollaway and still had plenty of room for our bags and stuff. The only thing is the 60s/70s era hotel has a split bathroom with a decently large vanity outside and a puny room containing the toilet and tub/shower. I mean, you could barely close the door. The shower itself, however, was pretty good. I didn't mind it, but my friend said the shower head was too low.
This is a basic high-rise hotel in central Philly...just a small lobby, breakfast room, pool and parking garage. The floors containing the sleeping rooms are basic and small with only about a dozen rooms on each floor. If you are looking for a grand hotel experience (like the 1,000+ unit Phila. Marriott), this isn't the place. But if it's plentiful and convenient parking, spacious rooms, a super location only blocks from Market, Broad, the Gayborhood (should that be your "thing"), Reading Terminal Market and a short jaunt to Society Hill, this is a perfect hotel for you. Restaurants and shops are steps away, and there are bars around every corner. We loved the omelette and pancakes we had at the IHOP across the street.
We enjoyed the tavern directly behind the hotel called simply "BAR". Bartender/owner was very friendly.
The 13 yr. old we had with us was the only one to use the pool and he said it was freezing, so I guess the pool is not heated.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank BJr970
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2010

We appreciate the comments regarding your stay; comments allow our hotel to maintain a high level of customer service. Our rooms are similar to what you will find in other downtown properties and with all the upgraded amenities including flat screen TVs. We believe we have one of the best locations in downtown Philadelphia and appreciate the positive feedback from you, one of our guests. All rooms do include complimentary breakfast daily and we also do offer a heated outdoor pool. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown

Reviewed June 15, 2010

Started with a surly front desk reception. Then the room smelled. Parking was ridiculous. Overpriced and not worth the money.

Good location, though.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2010

It was a nice surprise to discover this hotel room is bigger than Marriot rooms, as I knew one close to the Convention Center. The cons: No safe box and no freezer inside the room (not at the Marriott as well). The pros: Breakfast and free internet included. Nice location as I had to walk to the convention center everyday (a five blocks distance), passing by the Hard Rock Cafe at Market st. Try to walk at Walnut st. across Broad st. and you will find nice stores at Walnut and Chestnut (Victoria's Secret, H&M, Armani). If you're a more compelling consumer you should try The King of Prussia Mall, outside the town. Although the furniture and the carpet had better days in the past, the room is quite calm and the conditioned air worked very well.
There's no fitness room, by the way.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank phdhonda
ThehotelguyatCEG, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2010

We appreciate the comments regarding your stay; comments allow our hotel to improve when necessary and to provide clarification on amenities offered on property. Although our rooms do not have safe boxes in them we do offer to hold items within the safe at our front desk. For those wishing to work out our hotel offers complimentary access to Bally Fitness, located near the hotel. We will work with our desk staff to ensure our guests are made aware of these amenities. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

The staff at this hotel has no interest in customer service. The check-in took much longer than normal (I'm a Priority Club member); when I commented on the slow speed, all I got was an apathetic "sorry".

The carpets throughout the public areas are stained, and walking without shoes in my room revealed lots of sticky spots. The carpets are probably occassionally vacuumed (carelessly), but rarely cleaned. There are other signs of neglect and poor cleaning as well (for example, a large, white stain on the no-smoking sign that looks like a bodily emission).

I forgot shaving cream. The sign on the bathroom counter states "just call the front desk and we'll get you a complimentary replacement right away". I called, and the dazed woman that answered the phone said I had to come to the front desk if I need something. It would be fine if the staff were too busy to bring shaving cream to my room, but when I arrive at the front desk at 11:00 pm and see 3 people doing nothing, it's clear that they're just too lazy and apathetic to do anything more than they absolutely have to.

I would pay $50 more per night for a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tripgator

We appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. Although we have not had a chance to speak with you directly we appreciate your feedback and would like to provide some feedback regarding the items you addressed. As a service to our Priority Club Members we do provide a separate line and faster check-in process; we have used your comments as a training opportunity to ensure we have a smoother process during your next stay. I have addressed the comments regarding our carpets with the executive housekeeping staff and again have used your comments as an opportunity to tighten up our procedures. Finally, yes we do provide a service to provide toiletries to guests in need; I have provided your feedback to our front office staff as yes there was certainly no need for you to have to fetch the items yourself. On behalf of the entire staff we apologize for your inconvenience.

Reviewed May 2, 2010

We live just outside the city and usually stay at Club Quarters for mini getaways, but that was booked and this was the only place left in our budget. Price was definitely steep for what you get. I can't comment on the breakfast, because we weren't up in time. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. The bathrooms.. our toilet and shower were separate from the sink area. The shower area was extremely tight and when I took a shower, I felt claustrophobic because there was no fan in the bathroom and it the steam in that small space... I had to leave the door open while I showered. The pillows on the bed were really, really puffy for my liking, but that is just a personal preference. There was a "questionable" hair on the ice bucket. The location was convenient. The other reviews are completely correct regarding the internet (extremely slow).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thewhitcakes

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our hotel. We appreciate the feedback and will provide feedback on a few of the items mentioned. There are several choices of hotels in downtown Philadelphia and we appreciate you selected us. We have used your comments regarding the ice bucket as a way to provide follow up training with our housekeeping staff.

As for the comment regarding internet, we have great news to share within the past few days. We have upgraded our free wireless internet services for you to enjo. We have become one of the first hotels in the Philadelphia area, to incorporate bonded data circuits, which offer double the speed of regular wireless internet access. Guests will be assured the bandwidth during the busiest travel times when other hotels are bogged down due to over-subscription.

Thank you again for your comments we appreciate your business.