“Great stay at a reasonable price”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #27 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I was in Philly with my husband for some medical issues, and this hotel was centrally located within walking distance of all the places I needed to go. The rate was great, the hotel was clean, and the staff was extraordinarily friendly. We never had to take the car out of the garage, and all the major attractions were within walking distance, as well as very good restaurants. The free continental breakfast was not fancy, but had a variety of hot entrees each day, and very friendly staff there to assist you. (It was much better than my NYC experiece a few weeks later.)

We both said we would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nybikermom

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Got this on priceline "name your own" and was very happy with the price. We were there to look at colleges. The night we checked in we had been lost, stuck in knee deep flash floods and I broke down once we got to the front desk because I was so relieved to be there safely. They were very kind, upgraded us and even gave us room service breakfasts for my daughter and I for each day of our stay. Our room was clean, although I would not say 5 star. Beware there is a $30 per day parking fee charged to park in their lot ... OUCH! Overall a nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank travelinmom06
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights for a course at nearby Thomas Jefferson Univ Hospital. The room was a very nice size, with a king-size bed. My friend who was at the Marriott at the same time had a smaller room (it seemed smaller with 2 queen beds in it anyway) but a bigger bathroom. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom was clean and fine. Service was fine. Everyone there was very friendly - from the front desk, to the breakfast servers, to miscellaneous engineer types that you might encounter in the hallway or the elevator. The hotel is centrally located with lots of restaurants nearby. The neighborhood seemed relatively safe, though I wouldn't venture north of Market Street (my first night I made a wrong turn and it was kind of scary). My big beef with this place though is their horrible internet service. Although touted "high speed", the actual speed was slower than dial up. I couldn't open any attachments from work because each document took at least 5 minutes (I timed it). Couldn't view any videos. Couldn't watch any Netflix movies on the computer. I actually called their IT contractor, who basically said, too many people logged on (he actually had to block someone who was file sharing), not enough bandwidth. Being used to high speed connections, I found the whole experience quite painful. If you're going to tout your service as "high speed", then cough up some money and upgrade it. I would have paid extra $ to get it... So, the hotel is fine - but don't expect to actually be able to do any work if you require internet.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Catherine C
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Stayed here overnight. Reserved a non-smoking room, but came in late, only a smoking room available. My room was tired and dirty. The hotel, while relatively centrally located, is not in a particularly nice area. The breakfast was really terrible, much worse than the usual in this class of hotels. Staff were friendly. I've stayed in a number of hotels in Center City, this would be at the bottom of my list.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Stayed here for a weekend getaway. The rate was great. Rooms were clean and updated. The ladies working the breakfast were wonderful. Breakfast was great! Great Location close to all. Would recommend this hotel to anyone that is traveling to Phili.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I highly recommend this hotel, they are super clean, very polite and offer awesome amenities for the city. You can't beat their complimentary hot breakfast and dining room. And their location is prime for any city touring, Historic district is walking distance as well as the museum district.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2009

We tried to book rooms at the Doubletree Hotel down the street but it was full, so I found this hotel online that was recommended. All the reviews on the fantastic service were correct - the people here are amazing. Even the cleaning crew had smiles and enthusiastic greetings for us in the hallways. Incredible service.

The rooms are larger and $100 less than the Doubletree.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple