“Solid choice”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in April 2014. All employees were helpful and courteous. Price was OK. Philly can be an expensive place for a downtown hotel room. Room solid, nothing fancy, but clean and spacious. In heart of downtown so has some decent restaurants on opposite side of street. Breakfast is included and makes it worthwhile--quite a decent range of choices, including eggs and biscuits. Nightlife is colorful (it's in the friendly Gayborhood section of downtown), but it's good to be alert if late. There was a shooting in a diner 2 blocks away when I was there (about 4 am) and a friend who lives in the neighborhood said there's been a shooting outside of Woody's bar, a block away, two weeks earlier. All that said, I'd be fine staying here again.

Room Tip: Front facing are better than back facing (as you'll get better city views).
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NEWYORKPROF
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Thank you for telling us about your stay and it is good to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and the hotel. We appreciated your letting us know. The incidents that you described do not happen on a regular basis, but being a center city property we do have security on duty 24 hours a day for the safety of our guests and our staff.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Typical Holiday Inn Express hotel. We had a king bed room and it was actually pretty large. Staff kept our room clean and tidy. The lobby is cramped which wouldn't be an issue except we were traveling with 7 other people and we like to meet in the lobby & relax. Really close to SEPTA system. Easy cab ride from the airport and the rate is a flat $31 so not very expensive.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

It's great to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed the area. We do have additional seating off the lobby area in our Walnut Room. Thank you.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is right in the heart of the downtown, walking distance to many bars, restaurants and other places, check in was a breeze, I asked for a higher floor room so I could have a good view, they set me up on the 18th floor, room was a nice size, ton of space, the bathroom was a little cramped, but nothing to be fussed over. Microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker are present. The parking with unlimited in and out privileges is $25 a day pretty reasonable. While I was here I did not want any housekeeping service but the housekeeper always said hello and asked me if I needed anything. While I didn't need anything, It was great to be greeted and asked.
The hotel seemed to be going through renovations, but it did not affect my stay at all, I over heard a staff member they were working on the 6th floor, so something to be mindful off.

Room Tip: Ask which floors are being renovated so you could avoid them.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

It's good to hear that your requests were honored and that you enjoyed your time at the hotel. You covered all the bases, and the staff loves to hear that their efforts were noticed by our guests. Thank you. We are upgrading for better guest satisfaction and we strive to keep it from impacting on current stays at the hotel. Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

stayed here during the frozen four hockey tournament last week. i would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Philadelphia. the staff was very friendly. the only request that we had during the stay was for a refrigerator in the room, and it was delivered in under 5 minutes. great location, there are probably 50 bars all within 2 miles of the hotel. I hope to visit Philadelphia again real soon.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We hope to welcome you back when you next visit Philadelphia, and to offer you a great place to stay while you do more exploring in the city! Glad to hear you had such a good time.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I visited here, unfortunately, during a week of some big event in Philly. I'm not sure what was going on but this was the only place in Philly with rooms less than $400. We had booked a 2 queen sized bed hotel. My girlfriend and I check in and they tell us that they messed up, but they'll either bring a cot up for us or give us $20 off. Okay so we have 4 people staying and ordered 2 queen beds for a reason, now you're giving us a cot? Okay we accept that. 2 hours later the cot finally comes, AFTER we called for it. Okay so they're busy I get it. The room was clean at least and the bed was acceptable.

I check out the bathroom, it's literally less than 6x6. The tiniest bathroom I've ever been in a hotel. I go to put our beer in a mini fridge, nope no mini fridge and only a VERY tiny bucket for ice. Oh boy.

On the way out we waited in the parking garage at the place to pay for 20 minutes before a VERY rude parking attendant talked nasty and condescendingly to us. I wanted to punch him in the face I was so pissed. Instead I walked away and let my girlfriend handle it.

Overall the place is the worst value hotel I've ever stayed in. Seriously $300 a night and you can't make sure we have the 2 beds we reserved? For $300 a night you couldn't put a cheap $100 mini fridge in there? I will not be staying here again unless necessary.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

I am sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay and appreciate you letting us know what happened. Our General Manager would like to speak with you directly in an effort to gain back your trust in our hotel, please send your contact information to midtown@himidtown.com.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

The hotel is in a great location near all the amenities a city of Philadelphia size would have to offer. The building is showing its age, a lot of the furniture seems to be late-90. The overnight parking rate is excellent. The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful during both check in and checks out. Plan on staying here again, its about the location, location, location.

Room Tip: The lower rooms do not have much of a view, so request anything above the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

We are glad to hear that you loved our location Thank you so much for letting us know that the people were pleasant and helpful during your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can check out the views from higher up. Thank you.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed a few days while a family member was a patient at Jefferson Hospital, Very close to the hospital. Room was clean, but walls are a bit thin. Friendly front desk and housekeeping service. Safe area of the city. Walking distance to many dining, shopping, and tourist options. Self parked in their garage, but needed help getting out (limited space, so I got boxed in). Breakfast "buffet" was included, but nothing to get too excited about. They put out scrambled eggs daily, once with some awful fake cheez-wiz like sauce. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, biscuits, bagels, donuts, and various meats also available. The coffee was good, Try a half and half mix of the orange juice and mango infused water. Very tasty!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
HIEXmidtown, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you for you kind words about our staff and I am glad that we were a close fit to the Jefferson Hospital. We will also be happy to look into some other breakfast bar options in the future. Thank you again for staying with the Holiday Inn Express!