“Great rates and outstanding staff”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #29 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel is central to everything in downtown Philadelphia. The rooms are very comfortable and large for a big city. Breakfast offerings are extensive. The staff at the hotel was absolutely outstanding from the breakfast managers to the desk staff, people were kind and interested in our activities.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for letting us know about the kindness of the employees, we think they are great and are glad to hear they had a great impact on your stay.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I went to Philadelphia to visit a relative and decided to stay overnight in this hotel. the room was very clean. No frills but the view was awesome from the 16th floor and the staff was courteous and helpful. the location was midtown and had lots of activities and restaurants to keep me busy for the weekend. I will return again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed yourself during your quick weekend trip and had the chance to explore the area. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I recently stayed at the holiday Inn for two nights during a snow storm. Everyone was very friendly, and the rooms have been nicely refurbished since my last stay a few years ago. The first employee I meet was Ashley at the front desk. Ashley found me a quiet room away from ice machines and elevators. When I mentioned I would be stopping by Macy's she gave me a 10% off coupon (so great). Ashley even helped me unzip my down coat which got stuck (she mentioned she had children and does it all the time). The rooms were very clean (all white beds), flat screen TV's, clean carpet. The free breakfast in the morning has something for everyone. I almost forgot...one afternoon it was raining and someone at the front desk offered me a holiday inn umbrella. Great customer service. Next time I get stuck in the city because of bad weather I will be staying at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for letting us know how many ways the employees, especially Ashley, helped you out. They are our biggest asset and it's great to hear that made you snow storm stopover a happy event. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Express Midtown.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel is in absolutely prime real estate, in a relatively modern building but it was never intended to be anything more than "just okay". This becomes obvious as soon as you walk into the cramped little lobby.

The rooms themselves are big, relatively clean, have comfortable beds, and great views on the higher floors. However, the decor is outdated (even by Holiday Inn standards). The bathrooms are super-small, have no ventilation fan, and the tile in it was ancient. There was a desk, but its chair was half-broken. You just never escape the feeling that the place was decaying around you. Thanks to the mini-fridge, the rooms are good for partying in, but other than that, they're "just a place to sleep".

The breakfast is the typical Holiday Inn Express fare, so its lack of quality can only be blamed on the chain instead of the hotel itself. It consisted of cold food (cereals, bagels, yogurt, etc) and the hot breakfast (which rotates from day to day). The day we went there, the hot breakfast was a wanna-be omelet consisting of a folded-over circle of egg, with fake cheese in the middle. Not a culinary delight, but it was free and beggars can't be choosers.

You could justify staying here because of the below-average price and dismiss its shortfalls by saying "you get what you pay for", but I would go as far as to say that this hotel is actually a poor value once you you consider that you can stay at a nicer hotel (in the same location) for cheaper by naming your own price on Priceline.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Midtown. Your candor is appreciated as well as your balance in what you had to stay. If could let us know your room during this stay by email to midtown@himidtown.com, we can investigate your concerns. Thank you..

Reviewed February 12, 2014

A group of us were travelling after working at a summer camp. We had caught and overnight bus from Boston and arrived in Philadelphia at 6am. We mad it to the hotel by 7am, and were clearly way to early to check in. They stored our bags for us and tried to find the first available room. That told us to come back in in Philadelphia few hours.

The location was pretty central so there was enough stuff around to keep us awake for another few hours, we returned at 10.30am.they managed to find a room that was cleaned and ready for us and let us check in. We were in our room asleep by 11am. That didnt charge us any extra and we were very grateful for their hospitality.

The best part about the location was the best snack shops nearby. I highly recommend Scoop De Ville which is n ice cream shop next door to the hotel. Or Insomnia Cookies which are open til about 2am and all their cookies are served warm out of the oven.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stop in Philadelphia and the staff were able to adapt to your needs. Thank you for your great comments and we hope that if you are in the area again, that we will have the chance to welcome you.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We used my hotel points to go away for the night. This hotel is perfect for a weekend away. The location is so close to so many restaurants/bars and shopping but also near the historic sites and parks (such as Independence Hall, City Hall, Rittenhouse Square, etc.) We took the Patco line in from NJ so we saved on parking. The Patco train lets you off a block from the hotel. The beds were comfortable, the room very clean and my husband and I really enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning. I used to travel a lot and this breakfast exceeded any I had been to. Bagels, eggs, yogurt, fresh fruit, variety of oat meals, donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc, etc, etc. my husband and I both agree that this hotel is absolutely worth the value. Granted we stayed for free with my points, we feel the price to stay here is completely worth it. I saw a review about not having a refrigerator. Our room had a fridge and a microwave. Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Thank you so much for your Trip Advisor review. We are happy that you and your husband enjoyed your stay, even if it was on hotel points. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Large city hotels that are not rated 5star and the morning staff just greeted me with a very enthusiastic Good Morning, and the front desk was more than gracious and accommodating. the rooms are clean and well stocked for what I'm paying. I recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
HIEXmidtown, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Thank you for the recommendation. It is wonderful to hear that you are a repeat guest and that we have been unfailing..... the employees will be glad to hear what you had to say. Thank you.