“Great location”

Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Chicago, Illinois
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

This holiday inn was in the perfect location. I had a nice view from a corner room on the 16th floor (not requested, so it was a pleasant surprise). The hotel was in walking distance of the Love Statute, African American History Museum, National Constitution Center, Chinatown, federal reserve and Liberty Bell. The convention center, Reading Terminal Market and tons of shops and restaurants were all nearby. This was my first trip to Philly so I totally appreciated having an affordable place to stay near all of these attractions. The hotel staff were very helpful with giving directions and recommendations for our stay. The hotel also offered free breakfast. It is not the most updated/chic hotel but I still felt very comfortable. I'd DEFINITELY stay here again!

2 Thank NeRock04
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear NeRock04,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay. Thank you for all of your great comments. We appreciate all guest feedback. We are so glad that we could accommodate you. We are glad that you stayed with us. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

This is my first time staying at this HI Express, and wish now I would have stayed elsewhere. The rooms are clean and large, but the walls are paper thin - you can hear an entire conversation in the room next to you...especially at 4am. The wireless internet is spotty and you have to sign in quite often. The breakfast was horrible, not worth even stopping to try. The TV signal is also questionable - if you like to watch TV, don't stay here. Being an ex IHG manager and a Platinum Priority Club member, I had higher hopes for this hotel. There are plenty of other hotels in the area, and I would highly recommend you stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank sdtravelguy
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear sdtravelguy,

Thank you for being a Platinum Priority Club Member and leaving us a review. I would like to apologize for the room and internet issues you experienced and I am truly sorry that the breakfast served during your travel was not at par with your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

My husband and I found a great rate for this hotel during Memorial Day weekend using our Entertainment Book card. However, and extra $10 was added to our rate because there were 2 people staying in our room. I thought this was weird -- I have never seen an extra person charge for only 2 people, but whatever.

This was our third trip to Philly together -- the first time we stayed at the Hyatt on Penn's Landing, and the second time we stayed at the Sheraton in Society Hill. While those hotels had more "bells and whistles," we felt this Holiday Inn Express had everything that we needed, and we would definately stay here again.

Check in was fast and easy despite the lobby being packed. They gave us each a bottled water because we are Priority Club members. Our room was spacious and had a nice view of Walnut Street. The bathroom is small and the sink is outside of it. This is kind of a turnoff -- I hate thinking about all of the germs on the door handle.

The hotel's location was great. We were able to walk pretty much everywhere -- Rittenhouse Square, Reading Terminal Market, Old City, Society Hill and South Street. We only took public transportation once, to get to Yards Brewing Company. The guy at the front desk gave us easy to follow directions, and the subway station was close to the hotel. It was also a quick cab ride to and from our bus stop by the Amtrak terminal.

The breakfast left a little to be desired. The breakfast room was like Hunger Games on Sunday morning, and a little better on Monday morning. I don't think the room itself is designed well. It's obvious that there aren't enough tables for a busy weekend, and the set up leaves you having to circle around the table to find the refridgerated items. Also, the bread for toast and muffins are in a completely different section from the bagels. There is also no room to put milk and sweetener in your coffee. Fare is pretty standard for mid-level chain complimentary breakfast, with few options if you wanted to eat healthy. On my first morning, I grabbed a bagel thinking that was all that was there, and was annoyed when I circled around to the other side of the table and saw that I could have had a english muffin or yogurt instead. I think it would be a nice touch if they offered coffee all day in their breakfast room, like Hampton Inns (Hilton).

The pool was clean, but not quite a "rooftop" pool as it's on the sixth floor. Still, it was bright, clean and inviting with views of tall buildings in the background.

They appeared to be doing some work on the lobby area. Sometimes you can enter and exit through the front doors, sometimes you can't. It was always a little annoying to return and try to enter through the front door, only to have to go into to the garage. The front entrance smelled like disinfectant, but I guess that's better than smelling like it was never disinfected.

Check out is at noon, but our bus wasn't until 3:30. The front desk let us store our bags until we were ready to leave, and called a cab for us when we picked them up.

2 Thank melhojo
Dear Melhojo,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you for bringing your concerns to us about your stay. We appreciate all guest feedback. We use this feedback to make the necessary adjustments to improve our service to you and to future guests to our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our breakfast service. We are always looking for good ideas to make our breakfast service better. We are also very sorry for the construction that was going on during your stay. We are making these improvements to better serve our guest. We are sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you in any way. Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I recently stayed at HI Express while attending a trade show at Philly Convention Center. It was a short walk to Convention Hall - 4-5 blocks. Philly is easy to get around and the weather was nice so the daily walk was fine. The endless number of beggers and vagrants was a bit of a shock. There are panhandlers everywhere, so be forewarned, you'll need your tough skin to stay downtown at this location. There are many great restaurants near this hotel and the Terminal Market is a fun experience.
The hotel staff was very friendly and welcoming. I rarely tip the housekeepiing, but they were doing such an excellent job, I felt I needed to. The only negative was the belman, of all things.... sourpuss and rude.
The room was clean and I took one near the top, view was nice of the downtown area. I think our rate was $179 for a downtown hotel when everything was sold out, so this was an excellent deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear cdb,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your comments and concerns. We would like to address the issue about the people that you said were around the area. We wanted to stress that our hotel has the utmost security. Our guest safety is our number one priority. Thank you for telling us about the housekeeping staff. We will make sure that we will pass that on to them. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you for telling us your thoughts about the bellman. We will look into that. We apologize if you felt he was being rude. Thank you again for your time. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Groningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in May 2012. Room was simple in a positive way: not very up to date furniture but well maintained and good Large room with good free WIFI. Bathroom a bit small but dueable. Good beds and pillows. Free breakfast with delicious pancakes and easy and quick check in/out. Very friendly staff.

Location is good: right in the middle of the historical sites on the east side (Independence Hall etc.) and the "Rocky" Museum on the west side. Everything within walking distance, we did not have to use the subway at all. A lot of restaurants in the very near neighbourhood.

This was my first stay at a Holiday Inn hotel and I really enjoyed it. It actually exceeded my expectations and was pleasantly suprised about the quality and service. Service seems better than a couple of (more expensive) 4 star hotels I've stayed at. Really enjoy the good location, good night sleep, low price, free breakfast and free WIFI.

One note and reason why I voted 4 instead of 3: big thumbs up for Catherine the lady from the breakfast room! She showed real, just and believable service and interest, a true hostess. Made small talk with everyone without being fake, was just truly interested and came with a lot of tips of things to do. Really cared for the concern of "her" guests. Without asking or mentioning it she offered us a bag to make a lunch pack for on the way (we were about to check out) and told us to ask for a free bottle of water at the reception. This is what being a hostess is all about and I complimented her on site as well, cause I don't think people will hear pletty of positive things, mostly only the bad. Good work Catherine!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Mijora K,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We also would like to thank you for mentioning our employee Catherine. We are very honored to have such a great person working for us. We will pass these great comments on to her. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I came to Philadelphia to attend a conference but the location of this hotel was so perfect that I also got to enjoy the city. It is in the middle of everything, with lots to see and do all around – and almost everywhere I needed to go was within walking distance. The staff were very lovely but the hotel itself felt a bit dated. That said, my room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. Basic accomodations overall. The dining was quite good at dinner and at the breakfast buffet. One of my colleagues has numerous food allergies and the staff really went way above and beyond to accommodate her. It was much appreciated by all.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Barb S
Dear Barb S,

Thank you for telling us about your stay while you attended a conference. We appreciate all of your comments. We are so glad we could accommodate all of you. We will pass all of your comments on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Big convention in town but "Gwen" said "no Problem". We checked into a quiet room on an upper floor as requested and let the hotel and it's fine employees take care of us. This hotel is right in the center of everything in Philly. Want to take a tour? A shuttle picks you up at the hotel and takes you to a place where you board a doubledecker or streetcar or bus that takes you almost anywhere you could want to go in the city. And you can jump on and off at stops along the way, as often as you like. Great way to see the city. Lunch or dinner? You're in the right place. We ate our heart's out and only took a cab to a restrauerant once. Great restaurants are within walking distance, so why spend money to go elsewhere. But make no mistake, the real reason to stay here is the people who work at the hotel. They stay calm when all around them is crazy; treat you as friends; and do everything possible to make your stay comfortable. They even look out for you after you have left. We left a pair of glasses in our room, and did not miss them until we got home. We called, Paula in housekeeping answered, Lisa who took care of our room found them, and the glasses will be sent home on Monday. And all we can say is thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. less noise, and good views of the city.