“Excellent value and location on 13th Street”

Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown
Ranked #29 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 12, 2011

For the price of the location, this was a great deal. Room was very spacious and quiet. Staff were very friendly. Lots of great restaurants very close by.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2011

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments. We will pass your comments on to our staff. They always like to hear when they are doing a great job. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay.

Thanks again for your time. We hope that you will come stay with us again really soon.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

Easy drive in parking, efficient check in, nice breakfast and very clean and quiet room. Central location in the city and very reasonable rates. Will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all of your great comments. Our guests are our number one priority.

Thanks again for the great review. We hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

my wife and i have just come home to ireland after yet another holiday travelling in the usa and including philadelphia for the 8th time.this was my first time to stay in hie midtown having previously stayed in supposedly superior hotels there, this was by far the friendliest most effecient staffed hotel i have had the pleasure to stay in.the reception staff were extremely efficient especially jared and aubrey who even had the grace to ring our room to check if she could do anything more for us.the staff at breakfast were superb especially catherine and lori who made sure that everyone was well fed and all done with big friendly caring smiles .we could not find any fault with this hotel and we are not easy to please regardless types.all in all first class from start to finish.will definitely be back next year.a big thank you to all in hie midtown.mary and micheal murphy

Room Tip: we got a cheaper room rate on getaroom.com but the room we got was fantastic room none the less
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent visit to our hotel. We appreciate all of your comments, and we will pass them on to our staff. They always like to hear when they are doing a great job. We appreciate you mentioning our employees; Aubrey Catherine, and Lois. We are passing these comments on to them. We strive as a hotel to provide the best guest service out there.

We appreciate your comments. We hope that you will come stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

We arrived on Wednesday night. We had two cars with us, one went into the garage adjacent to the hotel and the other street parking. I had read that on Thanksgiving, the metered parking was free, so I left my car on the street for the evening and following day. Free metered parking holds true for Sat. 11am-12am, for the holidays. Check on twitter, I love Philly or PPA website they give current information.

Check in went in smoothly with Jared, he assisted me and explained in detail any possible holds or charges. While checking in, my daughter shared she forgot her toothbrush, and Jared promptly handed my daughter a toothbrush. We were pleased with this gesture, as my response to my daughter, was she was out of luck.

The room was spacious, sort of narrowed a bit by the desk, and windows. Room was clean and all toiletries were available. Remote seemed to have needed a new battery. We all slept well, sheets were soft, and beds were comfortable.

What we did notice was that the walls were awfully thin, or it could have been that the guest were very loud. It sounded like they were in the room with us. However, it really didn't bother us, because we were up late as well.

I do agree that with another, the air conditioning was sort of loud, and the bathroom fan kept going all night long. But I am not particularly picky. The t.v. was high def. , very nice. We actually had a very nice view in the evening, with the city lights.

Breakfast had a variety, including a to go bag and tray that you can take back up to the room with some food items. Staff was very pleasant and healthful at breakfast.

The hotel is centrally located to everything. There is an Ihop and dunkin donuts across the street. The hotel is located near to several bars and restaurant. We walked to Reading market terminal, the convention ctr was nearby, and even went to Chinatown. There were Wawa, and 7-11 all within walking distance.

Only thing I would question is the need to get the parking through the hotel, rather than directly with the company. You pay 21.00 for parking through the hotel, daily and you can go in an out. But depending on your needs, paying the company directly may be cheaper.

All in all, was a good stay, and did not have any issues with the quality, or service at the hotel. If your looking for luxury, this is not the place. If you looking for value, this is the place.

Thanks again to the staff, they were great.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is a great hotel and in a very convenient location....close to everything. I wanted to be in close proximity to Jefferson Hospital so I could be with my husband during surgery. After a long day at the hospital it was easy to walk a few blocks to the hotel. The room was very spacious and very clean at a very reasonable price. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast with a nice variety of choices. The women that work there are just wonderful and even made a bag to go for me with muffins, fruit and yogurt for my long day at the hospital. I will absolutely stay at the Holiday Inn Express again and would recommend it to anyone visiting Philadelphia.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Roesuds
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope the surgery went well. We are so happy that we could accommodate you during your time of need. Our guests are our number one priority. Our mission is to give everyone a great customer experience. We will pass your great comments on to our staff. They always appreciate when they are doing a great job.

Thanks again for all of your comments. We hope that in the future that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This review covers a recent and quick stay at the Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia Midtown (henceforth referred to in this review as HIEPM) for the NSC show with a look at what I saw as the Great, Good, Bad, and Ugly of staying at this property with some botttom-line type comments and suggestions and . . . I will answer THE most important review question: when I come back to Philadelphia will I stay at this property again. Ready? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Value for Location: The NSC show was not well-attended this year yet . . . hotels were expensive for the week. I found the rate available at the HIEPM to compare favorably to a long list of other properties. It was the only option that allowed me to both stay centrally and keep it below $200.

* Breakfast: adding to the aforementioned value is the hotel's FREE breakfast - and it is a warm breakfast - pancakes, bacon, fruit, juices, etc.

GOOD

* Location: This location is tough to top for a stay for a convention. The expo center, multiple dining and site options all seem to be walkable. Even the historic district is less than a mile by foot. The downside during my stay - the 'Occupy' protest hit Philadelphia and the protesters were camped nearby. So, there might have been more in the way of public urination and loitering in the area but that's hardly the hotel's fault. I couldn't stay and try to figure out exactly what they were protesting because, unlike them, I had to WORK.

* 'Grounds': This property is NOT an upscale business class hotel - meaning your client entertaining, etc. will be done elsewhere. But, there is a convenient parking option and public transportation very nearby.

* Rooms (good): The room design is very unimaginative but . . . there is good space. Another reviewer complained about pillows - I was surprised as the HIEPM has pillows that are labeled 'firm' and 'soft'. I don't think I've seen any other hotel do that before. The room also featured a nice large high-def TV and a nice view from my top floor room (I've included a pic).

BAD (Room for Improvement)

* Rooms (bad): while I found the room's temperature control system to be effective, it is a bit too loud. And, I was unable to turn off the bathroom fan meaning it ran constantly and was, again, fairly loud.

UGLY

* Noise will continue to be an issue on the downside of this review because . . . the room I stayed in was one of the least noiseproof hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Now, one should never expect a hotel room to be an isolation chamber - you are rarely going to just be able to shut out neighboring rooms or noise from the hallway but, this was different. On one side I bordered a room that had a shared door to mine (locked of course) but it was a very thin pocket door and did nothing to hide noise. The fellow next door was part of a conference call where he did some presenting and I might as well have been an attendee because I could make out verbatum not only what he was saying, but what the remote attednees over the phone were saying. On the other side . . . was a room where a fellow was talking to a freind on his phone supporting him through his ongoing tough divorce. Again, I heard not just distant rumbling, but verbatum conversations (his friend really married the wrong woman and should have never given her his 1999 Corvette). If you end up with especially obnoxious neighbors at this hotel you are in for some long nights. Admittedly, this is not an observation coming up in many other reviews so maybe it was just my room.

Bottom-Line Comments

* The HIEPM is not a luxury hotel but I feel strongly that I got what I paid for. Come with accurately calibrated expectations and you will not be disappointed but . . . perhaps request a room on the top floor or 'end' to cut down on potential neighboring rooms.

* Business AND Personal: This is not always the case with hotels, but I feel like this hotel would make an equally nice choice for a business or personal stay.

* When I am back will I stay at the HIEPM? Let's put it this way . . . while I was pleased with my stay, I feel no super-compelling reason to not at least consider other options. So, if HIEPM again offers such a good rate deal in compariosn to everything else around them, I probably will book there again. If not, I may try something else just to try something else.

Feel free to contact me with Q's.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ShoelessJeff

Thank you for your very honest, and detailed review of our hotel. We have taken all of your concerns and comments to our staff. We will use these comments and concerns to better serve you, and future guests to our hotel. Your comments and concerns help us to improve our service.

Thanks again for your great review. We hope if you visit the area again that you will come stay with us again.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Recently I had outpatient surgery at Pennsylvania Hospital and had to stay overnight in Philadelphia. The Holiday Inn Express was convenient to the Hospital and reasonable compared to other hotels in the area. I asked for a very sterile and quiet room as I was coming straight from surgery. The accommodations couldn't have been better. The room was quiet and immaculate. If medical issues require an overnight stay in Philadelphia I will certainly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If having surgery request a quiet, clean room with early check in if necessary.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia-Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We hope that you are on your way to a speedy recovery. Thanks for all your comments. We will pass them on to our management. Our staff really appreciates hearing when they are doing a good job.

Thanks again for your comments, we hope to see you again sometime.