“Business Trip”

Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
Ranked #67 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed here in March 2013 and found the staff friendly, particularly at check in. Our room was comfortable with great beds and bedding and plenty of coffee provided :) The hotel ran a courtesy bus to and from the training venue and the driver was also helpful. I noticed the hotel had a female only floor that may be of benefit to women travelling alone for personal safety reasons. All in all I found the experience of staying here to be a pleasant one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Everything was top-notch. Siva (one of the managers) took great care of us. It was like having an angel taking care of us the whole stay! I asked for a room away from the elevators for quiet (ahead of time), and although they said they didn't have any she came through.
Someone wrote to ask for a room on one of the top 2 floors for quiet. We were on the 7th floor and the room was very quiet. The walls are thin, but there's nothing the staff can do about that.
I was worried about the bed firmness and pillows, as I have a bad back…had the best sleep ever! Also, no plumbing problems as someone else wrote.
I swim laps and there was a rope across the middle of the pool. When I asked someone at the desk if it could be taken down she didn't think it could be. (???) I asked her to check further and they took it down.
The gym looked excellent, but I didn't have time to try it out.
I had also read that the water can be very cold. It was perfect temp; there was a medical convention in town, so when there's enough people occupying the rooms, they heat it to a higher temp.
Don't order the nachos at the restaurant--terrible, no taste. Tell TGIF to make sure the food is hot enough (lukewarm).
Wifi was fine, no parking fees. Don't hesitate to book here!
Reason for Visit:Tests at Temple Hospital for son.

Room Tip: I asked for a room away from the elevators for quiet (ahead of time), and although they said they di...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Margaret S
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Crown Plaza
If you need to be in this location for no more than a night, then this hotel is okay. Otherwise it's a tired place with small rooms begging for a makeover. That being said, front desk staff was pleasant and responsive to our request to move rooms and adjust our bill when someone else charged their meal to our room.

Takeaway
The location is good if you want to stay near the City Line Avenue area and/or don't want to stay in Center City Philadelphia.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear AnnFran20,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to note that you found our staff to be pleasant and responsive.

However, I am sorry to hear the you were unhappy with the hotel's appearance. I sincerely apologize for the room condition did not live up to your standards and deeply regret that we were not able to exceed or at least meet your expectations.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. we hope that you give a chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions. I find it convenient to most downtown locations and love the onsite free parking. Rooms are relatively spacious, clean and well kept. The lobby restaurant/bar is convenient and welcome if you just want to kick back in the evening, enjoy a nightcap and catch a game with some company. It is also convenient to many great local restaurants nearby on City Avenue or just a few miles away in nearby Manayunk. Fairmount Park is minutes away, which is a great outdoor space. It's a good value.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed overnight for college visits. The room was fine (could use some updating), but the staff was very friendly and helpful. It was windy and cold and all night, we were able to hear the wind whistling through the window. Room was a little musty smelling, and furniture and carpet were dated but in decent shape. Bathroom/shower was clean and in good working order, but needed to call for more toilet paper and tissues since both were extremely low when we checked in. Front desk was cheerful and provided directions and recommendations. Breakfast was included in the room and was a nice buffet.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Turtlemom_10,

Thank you for your feedback. While I am pleased that you liked the service provided by our hotel staff, as such we regret that you found the room accommodations and amenities less than satisfactory.. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered. Please remain assured that we will share your comments with the respective departments to improve upon our service. In the mean time

Again, we thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed here while attending a wedding in the Philadelphia. Overall, the hotel is excellent. All the staff in the hotel were great -- very courteous and professional. The restaurant had a good breakfast and lunch. The room was comfortable and quiet and had an especially nice shower (good water pressure and hot water). The pool was a great bonus. But it can be a busy, full hotel - as it was when we stayed there -- which can mean long waits for the elevator. Also, it is an older property and the hallways could benefit from brighter lighting and a bit of sprucing up. There is free wi-fi in the room, but we needed to use the small business center off the lobby (the computers rightly will not work without your room key). But the computers are timed so that they will automatically turn-off after 15 minutes. We did not know this and lost some documents.
But overall, we had a good stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank explore with more
Reviewed November 24, 2013

First off, let me say that the front desk person who checked me in was very helpful in fixing my room rate when it was incorrect. She didn't make a big deal or require ridiculous amounts of proof that the rate was not what was promised.
Other than that, almost every customer service experience I had with the front desk was frustrating, unhelpful, and unapologetic.
Second, the bellman and shuttle operator were both very helpful in trying to overcome the lack of customer service I experienced from the front desk. The bellman was quick, friendly, efficient, and expressed concern that I get the help that I needed to get where I needed to go.
Between myself and a friend, we paid for 5 nights of lodging at the hotel. We specifically chose this hotel based on the fact that it was listed as a marathon participant hotel and based on answers to questions we called about. Where did the hotel fall flat?
1) no race day shuttle - which we believed would exist based on calls to the hotel, and should be provided for any hotel that claims to be in partnership with the marathon. They weren't even willing to start the existing shuttle early on race day. The first shuttle on race day was an hour after the race began.
2) no race day food - again, standard with marathon partnership hotels. Simple bananas, apples, bread, water and coffee woudl have been enough.
3) downtown shuttle - I asked repeatedly about how the shuttle worked, and was told "every hour on the hour". Never was I told that the shuttle had to be reserved in advance. So I found myself in the lobby with 8 people from 11:55-12:15 waiting for the shuttle. When I asked the front desk when the shuttle was leaving, I was told "There is no 12:00 shuttle, you have to reserve it in advance, you can reserve the 1:00 shuttle". No apologies, no offer to 'reserve' the 12:00 shuttle with my existing party that had been waiting for 20 minutes ... nothing.
3a) The shuttle never makes trips from the city back to the hotel ... really??
4) Late Checkout - when making our original reservations, we called to ask what time late checkout was, and were told 2pm. Based on that, we figured we would be able to come back and shower at the hotel. For one of our rooms we asked when making the reservations to have this late checkout. Upon arrival we were told that no rooms had pre-reserved late checkout and that the latest available was 1pm. Our hotel selection and entire plan for the day was built around being able to return to the hotel post-marathon so that the runners could shower. Upon expressing concern we were told that we'd just have to see what the manager said on the day of the race.
5) A hotel this expensive should really have a mini-fridge in the room.
While the hotel was nice, and the breakfast was good (on the one day we were able to have it) - the entire experience ended up costing me easily $200 more than I expected simply in cab fares because of problems with the hotel shuttle. Given all of that ...a little bit of attitude change and attempt to be helpful from the front desk would have been greatly appreciated. I can't recommend this hotel for anyone coming to Philadelphia if they intend to go into the center city, and it was an abysmal option for the marathon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Chalkalot:

I would like to apologize for your negative experiences during the lead up to your race weekend. I completely understand your frustrations with the situations you encountered at the hotel and so that you know we have discussed them with our operations managers to help us improve upon our annual marathon guests experiences.

I truly thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West and we truly hope we will see you again for next year’s race.