Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
$222
$199
$197
  • Restaurant
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$292
$197
$179
$167
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$239
$235
$219
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 24, 2013

First off, let me say that the front desk person who checked me in was very helpful in fixing my room rate when it was incorrect. She didn't make a big deal or require ridiculous amounts of proof that the rate was not what was promised.
Other than that, almost every customer service experience I had with the front desk was frustrating, unhelpful, and unapologetic.
Second, the bellman and shuttle operator were both very helpful in trying to overcome the lack of customer service I experienced from the front desk. The bellman was quick, friendly, efficient, and expressed concern that I get the help that I needed to get where I needed to go.
Between myself and a friend, we paid for 5 nights of lodging at the hotel. We specifically chose this hotel based on the fact that it was listed as a marathon participant hotel and based on answers to questions we called about. Where did the hotel fall flat?
1) no race day shuttle - which we believed would exist based on calls to the hotel, and should be provided for any hotel that claims to be in partnership with the marathon. They weren't even willing to start the existing shuttle early on race day. The first shuttle on race day was an hour after the race began.
2) no race day food - again, standard with marathon partnership hotels. Simple bananas, apples, bread, water and coffee woudl have been enough.
3) downtown shuttle - I asked repeatedly about how the shuttle worked, and was told "every hour on the hour". Never was I told that the shuttle had to be reserved in advance. So I found myself in the lobby with 8 people from 11:55-12:15 waiting for the shuttle. When I asked the front desk when the shuttle was leaving, I was told "There is no 12:00 shuttle, you have to reserve it in advance, you can reserve the 1:00 shuttle". No apologies, no offer to 'reserve' the 12:00 shuttle with my existing party that had been waiting for 20 minutes ... nothing.
3a) The shuttle never makes trips from the city back to the hotel ... really??
4) Late Checkout - when making our original reservations, we called to ask what time late checkout was, and were told 2pm. Based on that, we figured we would be able to come back and shower at the hotel. For one of our rooms we asked when making the reservations to have this late checkout. Upon arrival we were told that no rooms had pre-reserved late checkout and that the latest available was 1pm. Our hotel selection and entire plan for the day was built around being able to return to the hotel post-marathon so that the runners could shower. Upon expressing concern we were told that we'd just have to see what the manager said on the day of the race.
5) A hotel this expensive should really have a mini-fridge in the room.
While the hotel was nice, and the breakfast was good (on the one day we were able to have it) - the entire experience ended up costing me easily $200 more than I expected simply in cab fares because of problems with the hotel shuttle. Given all of that ...a little bit of attitude change and attempt to be helpful from the front desk would have been greatly appreciated. I can't recommend this hotel for anyone coming to Philadelphia if they intend to go into the center city, and it was an abysmal option for the marathon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
CPCA4100, Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Chalkalot:

I would like to apologize for your negative experiences during the lead up to your race weekend. I completely understand your frustrations with the situations you encountered at the hotel and so that you know we have discussed them with our operations managers to help us improve upon our annual marathon guests experiences.

I truly thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West and we truly hope we will see you again for next year’s race.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was in town for three business days. The location and website information was enticing. My visit was disappointing with the exception of the staff. They were all personable and a great help. Our room had been used by a smoker and asthma required our moving the next day. Management had no control or responsibility for this. They should however keep things such as shower curtains and counters clean. Simple things such as water glasses weren't even provided. Locating and accessing the parking lot presented a real problem. The highway ramp is so close that missing the entry (I did) puts you on a 13 mile interstate ride. In summary they offered nothing special and even disappointing. My next visit will have lodging of the many nearby hotels.

Room Tip: Lower floor and/ or near an elevator
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Larry B
CPCA4100, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Larry B,

I appreciate the comments about your stay, they truly help me lead the hotel as we strive for excellence. I would like to apologize for the condition of your room as well as the smell of smoking by the prior guest. With this being said, I completely understand your frustrations with the situations you encountered at the hotel and so that you know I have addressed them with our Director of Engineering and Housekeeping to prevent this occurrence from ever happening again.

I truly thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West and we truly hope to to see you again upon your next trip to Philadelphia.

Russell Peskin

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on a quick, last minute trip. I booked through hotwire and got a great price. The hotel staff were very nice and accommodating. Our room was very clean and neat. The only issue with our room was the bathroom sink, which did not open. I used the pool and spa and both were great. I noticed noise from outside the room in the morning, but our sleep was fine. A great room for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower level room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight after a wedding. We were able to check in early after a call to the hotel in the morning. Loved the makeup mirror in the bathroom! The relaxation kit was an amazing touch. The room decor was nice, very clean. The mini Kuerig in the room was great as well. Check in and out were fast and friendly. The buffet breakfast was tasty too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

My first and continuing impression of the Crowne Plaza was the exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. Every time I arrived they greeted me and made me feel welcome. The location is just off the Schuylkill Expressway which provides a quick trip to the city center, except for frequent traffic jams. Also SEPTA route 44 bus is just a 10 minute ride, one express stop from 30th St. Station, and it continues for a one seat ride through downtown to Independence Mall. There's free parking and OK chain-style restaurants a short walk away. Rooms are clean and acceptably quiet with comfortable beds. Bathrooms are modern and nicely equipped but not luxurious. The climate control was a little noisy and the electronic thermostat took a few tries before I figured it out. The flat screen TV doesn't have HD and I had to reset the picture size every time I turned it on, but there is a good selection of cable and several HBO channels. Wifi is free and usually fast although it bogged down a time or two. Room service is available and not outrageously priced. No refrigerator or microwave, and that would've been nice since there's a Target store next door complete with a large grocery department. I never had to wait for an elevator but one of them was a little too bouncy for my comfort. In-room coffee brewer is an upscale Kuerig machine which is nice and convenient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo