“Clean; nice location.”

Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
Ranked #65 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
“Clean; nice location.”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The location isn't bad...about ten minutes driving from south street. Free parking, and WiFi. The rooms are very clean. We paid about $170 a night for a king sized bed and fold out couch, although the standard king room is just as much money. There isn't a microwave or fridge, but there is a vanity, flat screen tv, and hair dryer. Pretty standard. We called and asked for toothpaste and about twenty minutes later we got a knock on the door. There was a very large man with a leather jacket on standing at my door and it wasn't until I opened it that the little room service guy appeared with my toothpaste. It seemed a bit excessive to need a security guard, but I guess it's better to be careful. We got a late check out of two pm which wasn't a problem and no extra cost. Breakfast buffet and room service, although we can't comment on either since we didn't do either. Comfy bed and nice little bathroom. It had a fan which is nice, but the lock didn't work. No big. Anyway, it was overall a very good experience. I wish it were a bit cheaper, but other than that I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Greek first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel from Friday-Sunday for the Philadelphia marathon. It was very nice and very clean. The front desk and the bell staff were excellent. When we needed cabs to get in to town, Jack took care of it and we did not have to worry at all that a cab would be waiting for us. Even at 5:00 am both Sunday and Monday. Enjoyed the marathon and visiting the city!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley Heights, NJ
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Traveling alone for the Philadelphia Marathon and could not be more pleased. Stayed on the "woman's floor" which was awesome with added amenities, extra security and couldn't be more comfortable and inviting. Jack the Bellman was just delightful and made my stay complete. He was helpful, reassuring and even hugged me after the race! What an asset he is to your establishment!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Its really not a bad hotel. Its got some good and bad points, but if you have a good rate i'd say go for it. Here's what I got:

Pro's: Good location in regards to downtown Philly, a quick drive to get to the city center. The front desk staff is very pleasant and personable to deal with. We asked for a mini-fridge and got it quickly. The maid staff were very sweet, always greeting you as you passed them, and they made up the room very well too! Comfortable beds, nice soft towels for the bathroom, great location next to a Target, Starbucks, Pot Belly, etc.. It was great to have control over the HVAC unit in our room, which has a digitalized thermostat and it worked great!

Con's: Parking is difficult on the weekends due to the hotel's parking lot adjacent to the TGI Fridays, which gets VERY busy. Good luck finding a spot after 6pm on a Friday or Saturday. The hotel really should consider figuring out how to enforce that its parking lot is for hotel guests only. The elevators are SLOW as molasses moving.

Mixed Feelings: The hotel rooms in general. You can tell that they are trying to keep up with modernizing the rooms, which is a good thing. Our room had a nice large king bed and the furnishings are more modern, but the wallpaper was already peeling off in several obvious sections of our room (and wallpaper, really?). The lighting is VERY poor in the entryway to the rooms (as evidenced by not only our room, but a few rooms we visited where friends were staying). There is actually no light in the entry way, which is where the closet is located. Its very difficult to see at all hours of the day in that area. because its just dark and quite drab. The hallways are also very, very dreary and humid (no good ventilation?) and could use some updating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I booked a 3-night stay following hurricane Sandy (we had no power or heat at our home). Major highlights - comfortable room and bed, mini fridge, microwave, free parking and wi-fi and conveniently located near Fridays, Target, Chipotle, Potbelly, Starbucks and a few other restaurants. I should also mention that we got a good price for the hotel off of hotwire!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, QC, Canada
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from Thursday to Sunday as I was attending an event at this hotel on the Saturday and wanted to do some sightseeing beforehand.

Staff went out of their way to help me get my internet working as I did not have a clue that I had to turn the wi-fi button on... event called the IT guy who came up to my room to only slide the button on my laptop (of course I'm blonde).

Room service was excellent, food was good, room was very clean and bed was also really comfortable. Far from downtown Philadelphia but much cheaper.

Highly recommended if you expect to get for what you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here one night on a trip to visit the art museums. The hotel was a quick and scenic drive from the museums (that is, once we figured out which ramp took us across the river instead of to the highway). The hotel was very clean, had very friendly staff, offered parking (free), and served a great buffet breakfast (not free).

However, it was very loud at night and we barely slept. The hotel room doors allow a lot of sound in from the hall - we heard practically all hall traffic and slamming room doors all night long. What's worse, other guests were yelling in the halls and visiting between rooms. We were initially warned that there were several weddings or events that weekend, and when we checked out, we were told that many other guests also complained about the noise.

Not sure if we would stay here again -- if we do, we will request a "quiet floor" or an end room.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family