Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West
$222
$199
$197
  • Restaurant
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$292
$197
$179
$167
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$239
$235
$219
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I thought that if I paid a little more than for a limited service hotel I would have a significantly better hotel experience. At the Crowne Plaza West Philadelphia, I was quite wrong. It costs a bit more, but actually delivers less, than a modern limited service hotel such as Hyatt Place or HGI or Courtyard. The Crowne Plaza’s lobby and rooms are tired. The lobby has no inviting place to “hang out,” which is today an absolute requirement for any hotel. The elevators were generally very slow. The breakfast was good, with a range of fresh produce and good-looking omelettes. Unfortunately, I couldn’t order an omelette because at all times there were five people in line waiting for their omelette. The breakfast area was way too small – smaller than in a typical limited service hotel – yet the breakfast seating area was quite large. Result: a very tight space and lots of congestion. And, on one occasion, the hotel had not properly cleaned the “clean” plates. They were all dirty. The rooms have stand-alone air conditioning units that blow right over the bed, going on and off randomly throughout the night, making a lot of noise and interfering with sleep. The doors to the bathrooms are strangely narrow, so that a full size man (not unusually large) needs to walk in sideways or perhaps at a diagonal. Unlike any hotel I can remember in recent memory (everything from Ramada Inn to Four Seasons), this hotel wants to charge you $10 a night for a fridge in your room. In mitigation, I was able to persuade the desk clerk to keep my cold food for me, though first it had to pass a size test to make sure it would fit into the small fridge in the hotel office. The staff was universally pleasant, nice, and helpful. Overall, though, I was quite unimpressed with this hotel and would recommend staying almost anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joshua S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear Joshua S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 31, 2012

I went to my uncle's funeral and booked this place on Hotwire at the last minute. I paid for my room on Hotwire and paid for 4 nights for a total of $454.60. I checked out on July 3 and I didn't owe anything (keep in mind you have to put a credit card on file). Why this month on my credit card statement I have a charge for $892.78 from this place. I called and asked the front desk why? They stated that I paid through Hotwire and they didn't charge me. I told the lady that I am looking at the charge and they charged me on July 11! I stayed at this hotel from June 30-July 3! They told me that I had to talk to their accounting department. I work and I don't have time to keep calling!!! I just called my credit card company.

I was going back to Philadelphia soon and I thought about staying here, but I changed me mind! I will not do this again!!! This charge caused me to max out my credit card and it made my child's college tuition payment be rejected!!!! I told the lady this when I left her a message, but they don't care!!! Now, I have to move bills around to get my child's tuition paid!!!
Be careful with your credit card here!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank K A
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I needed a night away from my family to refresh and was so pleasantly surprised by the special wing dedicated to women. The upgraded ammenities were great and I did feel more at ease with the additional security. Just the perfect getaway for a night! I even indulged in the complimenary hershey kisses in the room!
You can't go wrong!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was here for four nights and the people are very nice. The hotel just got a new chef and their food is top notch! It doesn't just look cool, it tastes amazing. I was on the 8th floor and my room was perfect. Everything was clean, it worked...and I slept really well. They have a new bedding package so everything is white and crisp. It looks really modern! They have a really nice shuttle that will take you places but there are things to see and do within walking distance too. Everyone is extremely helpful and have lots of suggestions for you. I used their fitness facility a few times which was great because they have free weights, a universal machine plus the usual cardio. The fitness room looks out over the pool and there were families splashing and having fun. They were updating the lobby with new tiles when I was leaving so I can't wait to come back and see the new look!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank happytraveler1979
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is not in downtown Philadelphia, but I was there for work and didn't have much time to explore the city anyway so it served its purpose. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, though it's far from the nicest hotel I've ever stayed. Had to leave around 2am to catch a train, and was shocked and appalled at the rampant and blatant prostitution that goes on at this hotel at that hour, but I guess it's not very different from many hotels in this area at that time of night. If I had a choice I would probably not stay at this hotel again, but it served its purpose for the time I was there without any major incidents.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WorldTraveler526
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Philadelphia West, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear WorldTraveler526,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. It's nice to hear that our location suited your business needs and that you liked our friendly hotel staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry your stay was negatively affected by the atmosphere of the hotel at the time you were leaving. We highly value your views and feedback, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into.

Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and concerns. I hope we have the opportunity in the future to provide you with a better experience.

Zelyn N