“Poor customer service”

Ranked #43 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
Chapel Hill NC
“Poor customer service”
Reviewed June 2, 2007

Our room was not ready at 4 PM and agents made no effort to tell us when house keeping finished with our room. I've stayed at this hotel over 8 times in the last year. It was apparently sold to a new group in the winter and things have been down-hill ever since...

• Liked — Neat wildlife area for walks
  • Disliked — people at desk
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank AmishinNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queens,NY
Reviewed May 17, 2007

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport May 15 - May 17 for a business conference. The hotel lobby is spectacular with an Atrium and Koi pond. The rooms are bigger than Manhattan studio apts. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful (until our last day)

Major issues: My traveling partner and I went to the bar (Embassy Grille) upon arrival on the 15th and a security guard was training a rookie "first night on the job" he said. At breakfast the next morning, there was alot of chatter about cars being broken into. Come to find out that several cars in the parking lot had their windows busted out including one of my collegues. There was no kind of reaction by the hotel staff to notify the guests or rectify the problem, as I went out to check my car during lunch at 1pm. My car was fine but the row behind mine was littered with glass and there was a SUV still parked with its window busted out and the glass on the floor so obviously no one had bothered to come to the lot to check on guets cars and they have the nerve to have a sign denouncing any responsibility for your car (I have two lawyers who will dispute that claim successfully).
There seems to be alot of water damage in the bathrooms as I saw the wallpaper bubbling up whenever the water came on in the room above me (I stayed on the second floor) and it was apparent in Room 112 which was turned into the mens room during our last day to accomodate the amount of women that arrived for a conference for another company. When this company arrived, all other guests became second class citizens. My company actually had to go get our own food and bring it to our meeting room to eat and then clean up after ourselves. All other amenities that we enjoyed prior were taken away.
Overall this would not have been a hotel that I would stay for a vacation or otherwise but since I have no chose for business trips, I guess its okay for 2 days. I will however recommend that my company utilize the Marriott (as they actually dropped off some collegues that flew, from the airport when Embassy would not) if we come to Philly again.

• Liked — Breakfast Buffet, Manager Reception (happy hour drinks), room
  • Disliked — security, staff on last day
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank loiza
Missouri
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I enjoyed the room, which was nice, and the breakfast, which was above average. What was rather disappointing was being left stranded at the stadium after the ball game. One of the lobby staff was very enthusiastic and helpful the night before recommending and giving us a ride to a local restaurant. When we mentioned that we were going to the ballgame the next night he promised to shuttle us there and pick us up.

When we were ready to leave for the game the gentleman was not around but another staff member offered to take us to the stadium. On the way there he informed us that they would not be able to pick us up afterwards. Because of this we had to take a $40 cab ride back to the hotel (Thanks for nothing!!)

It's funny that we saw a Mariott shuttle picking people up at the stadium. Perhaps we will try that hotel out the next time we are in town!

• Liked — free breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank sdunnin
Northwest
Reviewed April 17, 2007

First, I am a big fan of Embassy Suites. When traveling with two children you can't beat the separate bedroom and cook to order breakfast. I was very disappointed in the PHL airport property. In general our room was dirty (mold and hair in the tub), the pull out bed was broken (the springs were bent and would not attach to support
the mattress - thank goodness my kids are still very light). The carpet was pretty worn and frayed at several seams. At check-in there
was a chicken bone in the elevator and at check-out the next day the same bone was out in front of the elevator. Hotel staff had both been
on the elevator and walked past the litter multiple times. The dinning area was dirty with sticky tables and indifferent staff. I completed an on-line survey with Embassy Suites over a week ago and have not heard anything in response. Still a big fan of this chain just not this property.

• Liked — Location to airport and shuttle service
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank NWTraveler1
PA
Reviewed March 17, 2007

Stayed for one night prior to flying out of PHL airport. Room was clean except for table which was sticky. Our main disappointment was that the walls are paper thin. Unfortunately there was a party going on in the room next to ours, so we did not get much sleep. By 5:30am it just sounded like 2 people talking, yet we could still hear them.

We booked a room with a king size bed through a discount site (can't remember if it was travelocity, expedia, orbitz, or hotel.com). They upgraded us to a room with two double beds for free, though i did not get the feeling that they routinely do this. All of the websites had about the same price, yet some charge $20 more for a second person, so it pays to check all of them.

Also, we called the hotel several times to check this, when you book the hotel through another website (other than their's) you can leave your car there while you travel, regardless of whether or not you've booked a park & fly rate or package. If you book directly through the hotel, you must book the park & fly rate. They did not take our license plate number or require us to put anything on our car, so I don't know that parking is even monitored.

The breakfast had both buffet items and cooked to order items. It opened at 7am on a Saturday and the line had formed before 7. They were late opening the cooked to order section and did not get that opened up until 7:10am. I was the 6th person in line to have an omelet made and missed the 7:30am shuttle as a result. Food available that I recall was: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, omelets, cereal, yogurt, bagels, toast.

The manager's reception is early, so if you are arriving later in the evening, you will miss this. Also, check what time the breakfast opens the day you will be there so you are sure you will be able to take advantage of this

We would probably stay here again, but definitely would request a room near the least amount of people, or call the front desk if people were that loud again.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank LizardPa
Harrisburg
Reviewed March 5, 2007

We booked two king rooms at the Embassy Suites for an overnight stay prior to an early morning flight out of PHL.

My observations –
1. Good staff that was helpful with questions
2. Evening reception was a nice extra – light snacks and open bar, friendly servers who were happy to keep the drinks flowing
3. Decent food in the lounge – there is only one other restaurant in the general area (a chain)
4. Muffins, coffee and juice were available at 5 am.
5. Shuttle to the airport runs every half hour but picks up when you call from airport
6. Rooms are a little tired but clean.
7. Free parking for one night. Parking for up to 10 days is extra yet you are not required to register your car, so how do they know who paid and who sneaks their car in for free?

We do sleep and fly most times we travel. This Embassy was on par with other airport hotels.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank cleobeach
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed November 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed and the Embassy Suites one night in November (2006).

Pros:
Staff - Friendly and approachable.

The Room - Quiet, comfortable and spacious. The bed with six fluffy white pillows was awesome. I slept better than ever. To my surprise, the suite had a microwave and refrigerator.

Breakfast - The complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast was wonderful.

Cons:
Embassy Grille - The food was overpriced and not enjoyable. My husband was looking forward to the pasta prima vera, while I ordered one of my all-time favorite things: lobster bisque soup (plus a Caesar Salad). The lobster bisque soup tasted more like tomato bisque and hadn't a shred of lobster in it. We were both so disappointed and left completely unsatisfied. My advice is to ask for order from their "late night" menu which would have been less expensive. Apparently this menu has Philly cheese steak sandwiches and the like.

Location - A taxi ride to anywhere will cost you a fortune. My suggestion (since there is a microwave and refrigerator): Bring your own drinks and snacks.

Bathroom - The bathroom definitely needed some attention. It looked a bit run down compared to the rest of the room.

• Liked — The comfy bed and quietness of the room.
  • Disliked — The Embassy Grille
  • Tips/Secrets — Embassy Grille - Ask for the "Late Night" menu for a better value, and hopefully better food.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple