“The Only Good Thing This Stay Was the Happy Hour”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport
Ranked #45 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed March 15, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel many times before since our children were little. This was our last time at this location. If we stick with Hilton Properties next time we will stay at the Embassy in Center City - It was much better. We were unfortunate enough to have my teenage son wake up with bites and sure enough we found bed bugs. Management handled it well, but housekeeping should have noticed them. My son also left his ipod in the room plugged in being charged. We got 20 mins down the road and he realized he had left it. I called the hotel and they could find no trace of it. In other words they have thieves that work in this hotel and I think management should have done more about finding out what happened to it instead of taking a sorry we can't find it attitude. Our first and second room had a moldy smelling room that was not cleaned to our expectations, the pool was filthy and breakfast was not as good this stay. the only positive point was happy hour. They did let us check out early and we moved to Homewood Suites and had a much better experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank joan3boys
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed February 27, 2011

We picked this hotel because of the airport shuttle. We arrived at 9pm and needed food service. There was no room service and the restaurant was closed early because "it is a holiday" Presidents' Day. Really? We were told to order out! No information in the room about ANYTHING. Not even a phone book. We were told to come to the desk for take out menus. Really?
We left at 5am so we couldn't take advantage of the "Free" breakfast. There was Continental breakfast- coffee and 1 donut! Really? No discount for no food (room service still closed due to Presidents' Day)

Shuttle to airport ok. Shuttle home- non existant. We waited 11/2 hours at the airport. Called 4x and told to hire a cab. No cabs were found even after a call. Finally the shulttle showed and we were told they did pass by 2x but it was too full to pick us up. Really? no one in the 2 other groups saw the shuttle either. Both of the other groups had to wait an hour, too.

Terrible, terrible
Cost $250.00- but they did let us park there free for the 4 days we were away. We will pay someone else next time. Never again!

Oh, did I mention the food on the elevator floor? Terrible

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
matthew_brown, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2011

Dear FiveWeeks

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback and I apologize for the less than pleasurable stay you experienced at our property. I understand your frustrations about waiting for the shuttle and I empathize with you. However the hotel shuttle was very busy that day causing longer wait times than usual. We were trying to accomdate all of our guests and pick-up them up in a timely manner, but unfortunately we could not pick everyone up at once. This is why you were offered to take a cab, which the hotel would pay for when you arrived. I apologize that you were only informed of this information after the fourth time you called and this has already been discussed with the staff. All of your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate departments and will be used as an additional tool for training.

Once again I would like to apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced at our hotel. Although we have failed you once, I hope you will change your mind and allow us the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to exceeding your expectations by choosing to stay with us again in the near future. I am confident that your next experience with the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport will be a more pleasant one. If you have any further concerns, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for your time and business. Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Matthew Brown

Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed at Embassy Suites PHL on Feb 2 on a park & fly package, leaving the car there for a week, in what we thought was a pretty secure area in front of the hotel. When we returned we saw that our car was broken into on Feb 6 (a police report was left under our wiper) , with the front passenger window totally smashed. Our car was there for 3 days without a window & the hotel had not even covered the open window.

Will not stay there again, unless Embassy provides better security.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PaRiverduck
Reviewed February 8, 2011

My husband and I and another couple rented a room for one night since we had an early morning flight the next day. We only got one room - my husband and I to take the bed and our friends to use the pull-out couch. The hotel lobby and public areas were nice, but our room was not the greatest. The carpet had stains and the appearance was very poor when we came in. The phone in the "living area" didn't work at all. I called from the bedroom to get blankets and pillows for the pull out bed - the blankets were TERRIBLE and our friends didn't even want them to touch their skin when sleeping. When they pulled the couch out, they found dirty sheets with stains and crumbs. I called again from the bedroom to request new, clean sheets.... and they never came. We went to bed while they were waiting for the sheets and since their phone didn't work, they couldn't even call for more. I was not impressed and would try another hotel when using the Philadelphia Airport again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Dear Danielle430

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking time out of your day to share your feedback with us and I apologize for the lack of service you received from our staff. All of your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate departments and will be used as an additional tool to train our staff.

Once again I would like to apologize for the unpleasant stay you experienced at our hotel. Although we have failed you once, I hope you will change your mind and allow us the opportunity to win back your trust and prove our commitment to exceeding your expectations by choosing to stay with us again in the near future. I am confident that your next experience with the Embassy Suites Philadelphia Airport will be a more pleasant one. Thank you for your time and business. Have a great day!

Best Regards,
Matthew Brown

Reviewed February 2, 2011

The hotel was good, spacious, not overly noisy. Rooms were good-average (not spectacular but not time-worn or dumpy). BIG flat-screen TVs in both the LR and BR! Shower is a large, glass-encased stall, not a tub, which I also liked. And, as a woman, I appreciated that the bathroom mirror lighting, while not glaringly bright, was not as dim as in some hotels.

The 2-room suite experience is nice if you need to work with a colleague in the evening. The desk in the LR is situated so that one person can sit on each side.

The BR did not have a lot of extra space to park a large suitcase, and the closet was an armoir with double doors. However, it had plenty of sturdy hangars.

Dining: The usual full Embassy Suites breakfast. However, the arrangement was somewhat inconvenient. You must walk out of the dining area, past the hostess stand and into a separate room for the cereal, juice, toast and hot buffet items. The omelet stand is completely separate from this room. ... There are very few interesting restaurant choices in the immediate vicinity (Ruby Tuesdays), and due to weather and late hours, we ate at the Embassy's Grille twice. Both times were surprisingly good for a hotel restaurant. I highly recommend the cobb salad, and the burger was also above average. I found the manager's happy hour a little lacking, tucked in an out-of-the-way area, and very dark. The Monday offerings were not enticing. (It takes about 15 minutes to drive to downtown for many excellent dining choices -- most of the time is due to traffic lights.)

And the parking! Ugh. This hotel is obviously used by airport travelers for parking, because every space was filled every night, and I noticed, after 3 nights, that some cars never moved. So actual weekday guests usually have to park in the outer spots, even you can even get one of those! The hotel needs to improve in this area. There was also a snowstorm, and we woke up to a lot where every car had been plowed in. This might be some justice for all those long-term parkers, but the hotel had only two cheap shovels! To their credit, two workers helped to shovel people out, but I had to shovel myself out of a corner spot with a four-foot berm of icy, hard-pack snow.

Fitness center: small with only about 5 pieces of aerobic equipment, especially given the size of the hotel.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stay at this hotel at least once per month on business. I have stayed at the other hotels in the PHL area and there are some that are cheaper but now this is my go to place. my company has had a few meetings here over the years and they always have gone well. The suites are big, the TVs are HD which I need for watching sports. The restaurant has great burgers. The free breakfast and free PM drinks are great values. The staff is friendly. Plus Hilton Honor points.

Reviewed January 25, 2011

I planned my wedding for Sept, 2010. I paid for the ceremony room, and when it came time to put more money down for the reception, I was told that the person that is handling my wedding was on maternity leave. When she came back from her maternity leave I had to change the date to June 11, 2011, but she never emailed me my new contract. By the time I called back about my contract they didn’t know anything about my wedding, and the lady was no longer working there, so the new lady took my information and found out the date was available, and she sent me a new contract. I made arrangement to send a payment to her on January 20, 2011. I did not call her until the morning of January 21, 2011 to make my payment; she told me that she had to give my date away. I’m floored. Not only that I already paid for the ceremony room, she said that, that’s not available either. If anything she could have called me, I have people coming out of town that already reserved there rooms for the wedding. I paid and booked my DJ, Photographer and everything for this date. I’m stuck. I have been waiting for a call back regarding my refund for the ceremony room. This is my WEDDING not a business meeting!

2  Thank tiffanylanier
jw2332, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2011

Dear Tiffany,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your non-refundable deposit for your wedding. It is unfortunate that we were unable to continue to hold our space for you after the second agreed to deadline. As a business, when contract deadlines pass, we open up the space to other guests so they can reserve it for their individual events as was the case with your second date deadline.
It is our hope that moving forward, if you give us the opportunity, we can meet our agreed to contractual information so we can better serve you.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.