“As good as it gets!”

Ranked #843 of 4,388 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: "Few gastropubs have shown the magnetic power of a great beer list quite as much as the South Philadelphia Taproom. Its 14 fresh taps and 70-bottle list are enough to draw beer fans from far and wide." - Craig LaBan *Our menu changes often and with the seasons. Please visit our website for the most current menu options. Thank you!
Philadelphia, PA
“As good as it gets!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

A few years ago--back when we lived on the "other" side of Broad--the Tap Room used to be our regular spot. In those days the Plantain Nachos were a part of our dietary food pyramid and craft beers made up the rest. At some point or another, management changed (or at least a chef or two) and our favorite meal went by the way side--as did consistency in general. Needless to say, the Tap Room slowly became a place we visited with less and less frequently.

Since then, they've renovated from top to bottom--a new dining room, chef, waitstaff, and menu. Fast forward to the the other night when we both came home from work CRAVING a burger. Since we're all about second chances, we made the spontaneous decision to head across the great divide to see what our old favorite had to offer us.

Although this is a very well intended 5 Star review, I will offer one suggestion--if groups of 2's, 3's and 4's are filing in and awkwardly looking around it's a pretty good bet that they probably want to be seated (or at least have someone ask). For us it wasn't a "thing" since we waited all of about 6 minutes before we were seated. Some of the other folks around us were a little less easy going about which is why I'm offering the suggestion. :)

Upon getting settled at our table for 2, we were immediately greeted by Candice our server. She was polite, SUPER personable, and patient. My biggest pet peeve is impersonal waitstaff that rush you through your night. Candice should teach classes on how it's done. She's 5 Stars all on her own.

A table near us ordered Wings and the intoxicating scent of buffalo sauce meant that we absolutely HAD to have them. They were extra crispy and, to my delight, an entire plate full of drums. The only downside is that all of the condiments are homemade which means there wasn't a substitute for the Bleu Cheese (I'm usually a ranch-and-wings kind of gal).

The "piece de resistance"? THE BURGERS!! 100% Grass Fed Beef with TWO 1/4" Thick Slabs of Bacon, American Cheese, and "Special Sauce"--a combination definitely worth writing home about. Typically if I see American Cheese on the menu I'm quick to see about substituting it for something less "American". I'm SO glad that I forgot to ask. It was delicious. Another honorable mention goes to the BEST homemade pickles I have ever had--which were part of a spicy pickled vegetable salad that appeared on each of our plates (in addition to a mountain of fries and a pasta salad side dish). These pickles were SO good that I actually pulled Candice aside to ask her to go pat the guy responsible for this salad on the back. Literally. 99% of the time homemade pickles just taste like wet cucumbers. Gross. I would honestly go back to the Tap Room just to eat their pickles. YUM.

All in all, we are so glad that the Tap Room has won our hearts back and we can't wait to go back and do it all over again. Also I am secretly crossing my fingers that the plantain nachos make their way back to the menu....Hey! A girl can dream, can't she??

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Theresa P

Delaware, USA
“Great beer and food at SPTR!”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We had dinner at SPTR last night at a delightful table outside. Their draft and bottled beer selection is amazing - loved the 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat! Food was excellent - their menu is very small, but they supplemented it with daily specials. Wild Boar Tacos were sublime, accompanied by grilled asparagus. Three cheese grilled cheese looked fantastic and the fried chicken is a large portion of yummy chicken served with a huge hunk of cornbread. Service was spot on - very knowledgable and attentive. Would absolutely return!

• Visited June 2012
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Not For Wine Drinkers”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

If you are looking for a large beer list, this is the place. This was great for my brother-in-law but for the other 3 of us who wanted wine we were pretty limited to 2 whites or 2 reds and only the pinot noir could be purchased by the bottle. We had various servers and one must have had a bad day because she without her team mates would not have received much of a tip. The menu is as limited as the wine list with 4 maybe 5 appetizers, 3 maybe 4 salad choices and about the same number of sandwiches and entrees. The side dishes served with my burger were odd; french fries (OK but just a few) and a weird assortment of vegetables which were not raw and not cooked. Our vegan pizza appetizer was served cold (not what I expected). The tomato soup served with the grilled cheese was good. Food is pricey for what you get. Parking is a challenge.

• Visited April 2012
philadelphia
“Great Gastropub”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

You can go for the draught beers of which there is a nice spectrum; or, you can go for the even larger assortment of bottled beers from local craft brewers to international favorites. Better yet, you can to to enjoy delicious pub fare while enjoying your favorite beverage in a truly comfortable space. Parking could be a challenge but it should not keep you from spending a pleasant time at this South Philly pub.

• Visited February 2012
“Ultimate neighborhood pub”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

The beer selection is terrific, the decor is homey and the menu is delicious and not cluttered with too much crap.