“Wonderful experience, just don't be fooled by the divey appearance”
Review of Almaz Cafe

Almaz Cafe
Ranked #695 of 4,459 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Neighborhood: City Center West
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We had the vegetarian plate option-AMAZING!! SO many flavors and options-too much food for 2 people, but we tried our best! We also had a delicious iced coffee. The service was great.
The place is tiny, we sat a the one 2 top on the second floor mezzanine. There was also a 'bar' for seating of ~4 overlooking the first floor, a 4 top and a 6 top, a few tables on the first floor, it was COZY.

1  Thank Beach_Run

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Don't be deceived when you walk in and it appears to be a divey coffee shop. They serve authentic Ethiopian food at reasonable prices and we always come out fully stuffed and satisfied. Owner and staff are friendly too. I wish they were open more hours. We've only tried the vegetarian dishes and are addicted to all their lentil wots. Their injera is always yummy and fresh too. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty when you eat ;-)

1  Thank groverPennsylvania
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have family in Philadelphia that raves about this place, and so when I visited I needed to try it out. The food was fantastic, and surprisingly filling. I say surprisingly because we each ordered an entree, but it all came out communal style on one single huge plate, so it looked like a smaller portion than it was. But we were all amazingly stuffed afterward. Great vegetarian options. My first time trying firfir (Ethiopian beef tartar), which was delicious. Their coffee is supposed to be excellent too (according to my family...I don't drink coffee). The only drawback to this place is that it is tiny. Two or three small tables downstairs, with a tiny bar, and then a slightly larger eating area upstairs. Note that the eating style is Ethiopian, so like I said everything is communal, and there are no utensils. You eat by peeling off a piece of the injera (Ethiopian sourdough flatbread) and using it as a scoop. Lots of fun! Just gotta be prepared

1  Thank PhillyBilly24198
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We biked the Forbidden Trail and Kelly Drive from Manayunk to south of the Art Museum, and the path now connects to the Rittenhouse section. We bought sandwiches and wraps at Almaz Cafe to take with us to eat outside overlooking the river. The owners were very friendly. The sandwiches were made to order and all three were outstanding with great flavor. I would like to visit again and try some of the Ethiopian food. Give this place a try!

1  Thank JEBSV3
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I dont think there are too many Ethopian Restaurants in the Philly area. This place is worth a visit if you want to experience this ethnic cuisine. The restaurant is very small, the owners and staff are very friendly and service oriented and attentive. The decor is nothing to write home about, but so what. The portions are quite substantial and the pricing very reasonable ( and not even considering its location, very close to Rittenhouse Square). Its a BYOB ( a plus in my book). I am not a big fan of spicy food, but there are plenty of mild and/or non spicy items on the menu. You can research the menu ahead of time here: http://almazcafe.com/menu/. I have no complaints and would definitely go back.

1  Thank jhu81alum