“Wow! What a great meal!”
Review of Modo Mio

Modo Mio
Ranked #214 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
South Jersey
“Wow! What a great meal!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Some of my girlfriends and I went here on a tip from a business associate. It was hard to get the ladies to agree to go but, wow, what a pleasant surprise! The restaurant is small and unassuming so the ladies were not especially impressed...that is, until we started eating the food! We all had the priced fixed menu which is so great because you still get to choose from the menu. Every course was delicious. I mean wonderful complicated flavors so unlike other places I've been that I must go back for more. Great quality at what I considered a reasonable price. One of the ladies who was well traveled said it was one of the best meals she's ever had. I was stuffed and satisfied. Every thing was delicious but I especially liked the crispy risotto. The staff was friendly, the service was good. We had a great time. It was pretty crowded for a Tuesday night so I would make reservations if you want to try it.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ringoes, New Jersey
“Authentic Italian Experience”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We visited Modo Mio for the first time on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised. It's a BYO, which we always appreciate. There is a fabulous liquor store directly across the street making it very convenient. Their "Turista Menu" is a great bargain. It's a 4 course meal that you order directly off the menu. Only 2 of the dinner options had an upcharge but that was understandable based on the a la carte cost of these items (lamb and the whole fish). I started with N'duja which is a spicy Calabrese sausage over a white bean cake that is topped with honeyed fresh mushrooms. The sweetness of the honey was a perfect blend with the spicy taste and the creaminess of the bean cake made it a total taste sensation. My husband had the mussels (also excellent) and our daughter had the "special" which was a wonderful crab salad with radicchio. The next course is a pasta dish. The Bucatini was outstanding as was the Agnolotti. The Risotto was also quite good but we favored the pasta choices. My daughter had the trout for her main course which was fabulous. I had the pork cheeks which were also outstanding. The whole fish was cooked to perfection. They say that they won't filet it but they actually did. You just need to be careful since there will always be small bones with a whole fresh fish. Desserts were very tasty. If you like chocolate, the flourless cake was moist and heavenly. The panne cotta was also very creamy and had a lovely fresh vanilla flavor. Cannot go wrong here.

1 Thank Christine K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Food way too salty!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went here for dinner based on the number of high ratings this restaurant has received. We feel it is definitely over-rated and are disappointed in the cuisine. First the good points: the staff are attentive, friendly and competent. The portions are quite generous; there is no need for the waiter to state that the portions are on the smaller side. That was not so - they are fine. The courses are served in a timely manner; we never felt rushed at all. This is a BYOB restaurant which is nice. Now the other points: the only items that were not too salty were the desserts! This chef has a heavy hand with the salt shaker or he has lost his ability to taste sodium in his creations. And, one of our entrees - the flank steak - was well overcooked making it dry and tough.
The restaurant is small and I think there are too many tables packed in to be comfortable. Also, it is not a place to take small children; they would find it confining and I don't know if there is even a menu to suit their needs. They do not take credit cards but you are told that when you call for reservations and it is clearly posted on the door too.
All in all, we won't return - we don't need all that salt.

1 Thank HappyGrandparent
Kreskin2207
“Loved the experience - great food, service, outdoor seating...”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Loved our dinner at Modo Mio last night. This is a perfect alternative from the bar food in the area and will be our go-to when we head to Johnny Brenda's for a show. They are a cash-only BYOB but fear not, there is a bottle store across the street - perfect. They were booked up with reservations but the 4 tables outside are first come-first serve. We snagged a table and were quickly welcomed with water and a complementary bite from the kitchen. While the tourista menu option (4 courses for $35) was tempting we opted for a couple appetizers and a couple pastas which was plenty food.

I had the calamari to start which is one of those dishes that will stick with me. Grilled squid, chickpeas, raisins, almonds, lemon, arugula...light, perfect summer appetizer. I'm going to go back just for this...and order three portions. My wife had the snail stew which was served over a slice of bread and was very tasty as well.

I had the bucatini for my entrees with pancetta and a spicy plum tomato sauce. Some of the pasta was cooked perfectly while one or two pieces was completely underdone. I also wish the sauce had a little more spice. On both accounts, not the end of the world and won't deter me from going back. My wife had the pennoni, large house made penne stuffed with suckling pig, provolone, and a plum mostarda. Sooo good, very creamy, and perfect portion size for something pretty heavy.

We skipped dessert, but did take them up on the free sambuca shot offer. For the price ($60 including tip) you can't really beat this place and I look forward to returning. An excellent experience.

Absecon, New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Memorable”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Thank you modo mio- your $35 tasting menu did not disappoint, fabulous time, yes, your restaurant can be noisy, but so worth it, Loved that grilled octopus, gnocchi, and desserts were yummy. with three of us we got to taste 12 items, well actually 14 with crusty bread, and liver pate complimentary app. oh,that you make the bread, pasta and desserts is impressive.
We are smitten.