“Breakfast Served Fast!”

Neighborhood: South Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Breakfast Served Fast!”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stopped by here for breakfast. The diner is accessible by public transportation on the 68 SEPTA bus. The bus stops right in front of the diner.

Parking is available in the parking lot, but on days before Phillies games or Eagles games and on the weekends parking can be tight.

They serve juice in the typical small diner 4oz glasses.

Typical breakfast food, but it is served fast. Nothing stands out, but it does satisfy the desire to eat diner food.

Friendly staff (typical ladies that call you "hun")

Flat screen TVs are in the back table seating area.

Diner is close to the expressway (76) and not far from the sports stadium (not walking distance).

• Visited June 2014
Bill D, Manager at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review; I'm sure others on this site will find it helpful! Glad you enjoyed your experience dining with us!

Warm Regards,
Bill Dovas

Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Exellent food for excellent prices”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Besides breakfast 2 times, (delicious) we stopped in for desert and I got an apple turnover. My eyes opened wide when it came. It was a food long and at least 4 -5 inches wide. It was huge and hung off the edge of the plate. And it was only $2.49! Awesome deal!

Visited May 2014
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello Nancy,

I see you come from Maryland and visit Philly! Welcome! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad to hear that you have enjoyed each experience you've had here. I see you tried the apple turnovers and loved them! That's great. Our pastries and desserts are always a treat. You should definitely try another dessert when you come in next time. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on this site. Have a good day!

-Bill Dovas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food and desert but....”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Eat here frequently but Memorial Day I saw mice running about ..
The waiter said they are trying hard
To eliminate problem. I'll skip June
until solved

Bill D, Manager at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
I'm really glad to hear you dine with us often and enjoy our food and desserts. We have been renovating and while that did cause a temporary problem your waiter was right we attacked it proactively. Hope to see you again soon and thank you for being a loyal Penrose fan!

Warm Regards,
Bill Dovas
Maryland
“Takes effort to mess up breakfast food”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place was recommended by hotel staff primarily due to it being cost effective. I was very disappointed in the quality of food down to the fountain drink. I mean how can you mess up on soda? I ordered the egg benedict over crab cake.
My dish was served loaded down with hollandaise sauce so much the entire plate was yellow. The sauce tasted bland and pasty not at all as it should have. Worst yet when I cut into the eggs they were practically raw with yellow and white yoke. Not poached at all!! I returned this dish to the kitchen and request a basic average waffle. This too was of poor quality it tasted like bread dipped in cooking oil. Rather than return another menu item and to avoid further delay I ate it. My friend had an egg sandwich on bagel and indicated that it was good but that the home fries (the thing she looks most forward to eating) were nasty and unseasoned. It takes effort to mess up on fried potatoes.

I would not recommend this Penrose diner. I have eaten at numerous diners on the east coast and this was the most disappointing one. My experience is that most diners take time and care to prepare their food even when it is a holiday weekend. If in Philly I would recommend doing more research before eating here. Furthermore, the customer service was just average.

• Visited May 2014
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on this site, it is much appreciated. With that being said, I apologize that you had a negative experience with my restaurant. I understand the quality of the food was not up to par. There is no excuse for the way your food was cooked. I will have to talk to my chefs about consistency with every customer's meal because that is a very important factor in a restaurant business and what keeps our customers happy. I am glad you brought that to my attention and despite your experience I hope you stop in and give us a try in the near future. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with others on this site.

-Bill Dovas
Albany, NY
“Stayed Quality over Many Years, Lasted the Test of Time”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have eaten here for many years as I grew up nearby. I used to eat here during my high school days after heading out to clubs, bars, etc. and it was always very good. I used to go to the Melrose and several other places during that time. I returned to the Penrose this past December and it is the only diner in the area that has kept its quality over the years. Same great food, service, the place is just a clean as it was, etc. I was pleasantly pleased that the decor even approved. So, unlike the other diners in the area that have lost their appeal and quality, the Penrose has lasted the test of time is still quality after many, many years.

• Visited December 2013
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello,

Wow you're from Albany, New York! Welcome to Philadelphia! I see you came in December and ate at the restaurant. Thank you for your feedback it is important. It's great to hear that after years of Penrose being around you believe the quality is preserved. That means a lot. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on this site. Please visit if you are ever in the city again. Have a good day!

- Bill Dovas