“Takes effort to mess up breakfast food”
Review of Penrose Diner

Penrose Diner
Ranked #90 of 4,406 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: South Philadelphia
Maryland
“Takes effort to mess up breakfast food”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This place was recommended by hotel staff primarily due to it being cost effective. I was very disappointed in the quality of food down to the fountain drink. I mean how can you mess up on soda? I ordered the egg benedict over crab cake.
My dish was served loaded down with hollandaise sauce so much the entire plate was yellow. The sauce tasted bland and pasty not at all as it should have. Worst yet when I cut into the eggs they were practically raw with yellow and white yoke. Not poached at all!! I returned this dish to the kitchen and request a basic average waffle. This too was of poor quality it tasted like bread dipped in cooking oil. Rather than return another menu item and to avoid further delay I ate it. My friend had an egg sandwich on bagel and indicated that it was good but that the home fries (the thing she looks most forward to eating) were nasty and unseasoned. It takes effort to mess up on fried potatoes.

I would not recommend this Penrose diner. I have eaten at numerous diners on the east coast and this was the most disappointing one. My experience is that most diners take time and care to prepare their food even when it is a holiday weekend. If in Philly I would recommend doing more research before eating here. Furthermore, the customer service was just average.

• Visited May 2014
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on this site, it is much appreciated. With that being said, I apologize that you had a negative experience with my restaurant. I understand the quality of the food was not up to par. There is no excuse for the way your food was cooked. I will have to talk to my chefs about consistency with every customer's meal because that is a very important factor in a restaurant business and what keeps our customers happy. I am glad you brought that to my attention and despite your experience I hope you stop in and give us a try in the near future. Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with others on this site.

-Bill Dovas

Albany, NY
“Stayed Quality over Many Years, Lasted the Test of Time”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have eaten here for many years as I grew up nearby. I used to eat here during my high school days after heading out to clubs, bars, etc. and it was always very good. I used to go to the Melrose and several other places during that time. I returned to the Penrose this past December and it is the only diner in the area that has kept its quality over the years. Same great food, service, the place is just a clean as it was, etc. I was pleasantly pleased that the decor even approved. So, unlike the other diners in the area that have lost their appeal and quality, the Penrose has lasted the test of time is still quality after many, many years.

• Visited December 2013
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Hello,

Wow you're from Albany, New York! Welcome to Philadelphia! I see you came in December and ate at the restaurant. Thank you for your feedback it is important. It's great to hear that after years of Penrose being around you believe the quality is preserved. That means a lot. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on this site. Please visit if you are ever in the city again. Have a good day!

- Bill Dovas
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Good place to eat”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

You won't go wrong if you want good homecooked meals. Desserts were great. We ate here all 3 days of our trip.We had very good servers no matter what time of the day we were there Dawn was especially good.

• Visited March 2014
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hello Lynus,

I see that you are from North Dakota! Welcome to Philadelphia! I hope your visit was well. It's great to hear that you visit us all three days of your trip! I'm glad that you were happy with our servers and the quality of the food. Next time you make a trip out this way, please stop in again! Have a good day and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on this site. Your feedback is much appreciated.

- Bill Dovas
Hooksett NH
“Busiest restaurant I have ever visited !!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Penrose started as a diner and expanded to a full size restaurant. The food and service here was excellent. It's not fancy, but well prepared with large portions. We had breakfast here two mornings while visiting Philly and we certainly didn't need lunch ! The wait staff here has been around for years and they are lively !!

Visited April 2014
Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! It's amazing to hear that everything was excellent and the fact that you said our staff was "lively" make me happy because we want our customers to feel special when they come here. It's also good to hear that you did not leave hungry, that's always a positive. I appreciate your kind review and thank you for sharing it with others on this site. Stop in and try something else off our lunch and dinner menu! Have a good day.

Bill Dovas
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

Fast and friendly service at 8 am on a weekday. Husband loved the italian sausage omelette and we all loved the french toast. Coffee was delicious too. Lots of parking unlike other places we considered. Great meal and reasonable prices!

Bill D, Owner at Penrose Diner, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hello,

We always love to see people up bright and early! I'm glad that our service was quick and friendly for your visit. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I'm happy you enjoyed it but feel free to try something off our lunch and dinner menu when you have the time. Thank you for writing a review on this site and sharing your experience with others. Have a good day!

Bill Dovas