“Good Tapas at cool midtown location”

The Continental Midtown
Reserve with OpenTable
The Continental Midtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 4,461 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Few days visiting the city of brotherly love, Philadelphia and stopped in at Continental Mid-Town for quick bite. Nicely portioned tapas style dishes with great flavor and taste. We sampled about 5 dishes between the three of us and it was more than enough. The brisket bao buns and crispy calamari salad were stand outs. The steak frite was a miss though, ordered it medium well, came out rare, one bite and sent it back. Probably not the best place for steak anyway. Good service and reasonable priced with a cool ambience and chill laid back music. All and all a solid location for friends and families when in midtown Philly.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Had lunch with family and really enjoyed this location. The food was above average, service was good and atmosphere was average. Prices for a center city location was very reasonable and portions were large.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stopped here for a nightcap with some family and it was the perfect way to end the night. We sat on the 3rd floor and ordered the "Astronaut" that is a martini that has a sweet and sour orange flavor and the glass is rimmed with Tang. Decor is fun and outrageous and the service was friendly and attentive. Prices are not cheap but fine for a splurge.

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Continental is one of my go I spots. Been going there since I was in high school. Food is good and not too expensive. Drinks are a little pricey though. Service is average. The location is what keeps us coming back.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My family and I just had the most unbelievable experience at Continental Mid-Town.

We went to Continental around 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon figuring it would be empty, and we could get in and out without issue…… I was right about it being empty, dead wrong about not having any issues.

Our experience started out ok. Seemingly friendly waitress, drinks ordered and French fries ordered for my child. We ordered our meals, which the waitress repeated back to us. Our appetizer came out but with no plates. We had to wait for the manager to come around to get us plates and napkins. Then half of our meal arrived. This is where our experience gets ridiculous. After waiting 15 minutes for my husband’s meal to not arrive we started looking around for someone to ask. Literally 10 minutes without anyone on the floor. No servers, no bussers, no manager and a bar tender eating in the corner. Finally we see our server and ask about my husband’s meal. She proceeds to insist she didn’t hear us order it. But she had repeated our order back to us. There were 3 of us, so common sense would tell you 3 plates of food right? Also if you are a server your job is to listen and hear what your customers are ordering so you claiming you didn’t hear us order it makes you horrible at the job you have. The matter proceeds to get completely out of hand from here. She starts giving us a “what do you want me to do attitude”. Her options are discounting our meal or putting the order in. Now these seem like perfectly fine options but not while you are rolling your eyes and giving an attitude about it. Well, we didn’t have any more time to spend, we just wanted to leave but there was no way I was leaving without saying something to a manager. She says “You want my manager, FINE” and storms away. She also quips in that “I was nice to you guys, I even brought you syrup like you asked.” Well genius, we ordered pancakes, which on the menu states they come with syrup so if that makes you a nice waitress I stand corrected. As we are speaking to the manager she proceeds to keep eavesdropping and stomping back and forth and rolling her eyes at me. That’s the point I pop her the middle finger because I am severely annoyed with her childish behavior so when in Rome. As we are trying to discuss the situation with the manager the waitress proceeds to stand behind him stomping her feet, pouting and rolling her eyes at me. I am not one to keep my mouth shut and quite frankly I was at my absolute limit with her so I asked her to remover herself from us. She proceeds to call me a “Psycho” and makes some comment about me having a child. How the managers didn’t remove her from us in the first place is completely unprofessional but allowing her to insult me being a mother, drawing my child into it? Can you imagine something like this ever happening to you in a restaurant that is expected to have a higher caliber of service? Yelling insanely personal insults at a customer that you gave horrible service to? 3 hours later I am still insanely shocked and appalled.

We eat out several times a week, from places 5 star to 1 star all over the city. Never in my life have I ever had such a horrific experience at a restaurant. Not even at a McDonalds. We used to frequent Starr Restaurants, not just the Continental, but that will end as of today. It’s not just screwing up, but having such an unprofessional childish meltdown over being called out about it, and then being allowed to remain on the floor, eavesdrop and insult customers. Two mangers were sincere in their apologies, but at that point the situation was too far out of control to be rectified. Obviously we didn’t pay for our food, but we barely touched it waiting for my husband’s meal. The managers offered something to make up for the issue but I would never go back to the place after being treated like this. I am really conflicted posting a review about this because you could tell the managers wanted to try to make up for her behavior. If she would have just apologized without an attitude or blaming us for her mistake we probably would have walked out remaining customers, and she still would have gotten a tip as we are minimum 20% tippers even for lack luster service. I hope this review steers people away from a restaurant that hires people who treat customers like garbage and don’t deserve to be there.

1  Thank IllyGrrl