“Grrrrreat!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: City Center East
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great! Great! Great food! Friendly service! Sangria...awesome!! I have no complains! Food came out quick and delicious!! We will def be back!!

There are newer reviews for El Rey

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Went here for a birthday lunch...I am hot and cold with Mexican food, but went with the flow...had an excellent breakfast burrito...many, many authentic items on the menu. One in our party was Mexican and thought it was delicious--he and his wife were happy they finally found some good mexican food in Philadelphia, as they are from Arizona and have been searching for a while...we will be back!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

You might think this is going to be a bad review but it's not. The ambiance overall extremely kitschy and "lucha-libre-esque' and very dark inside--to the point that you can't see all of the ingredients in your food. But, you can taste them and that's what matters. First, fresh chips and salsa come aplenty and without charge. It does not make sense for you to order guacamole for $10 since the chips/salsa do a nice job as appetizer and most entrees have a side of guac anyway.

I've been here a few times and always order the huitlacoche quesadilla. One rarely finds huitlacoche on any US Mexican restaurant menu so it's a treat to get it when you see it. It's creamy and delicious and comes with a side of very good fresh guacamole. There's really too much to eat in one sitting so you'll likely take home the second quesadilla on your plate.

This was the first time I had the tamales; there were 2: one queso fresco the other chicken. It arrived steaming hot with a fresh salad on top. Unique and flavorful. My husband ordered the Chile en nogada which is, again, something one rarely finds at any US Mexican restaurant. It's typically served cold in MX given how long it takes to prepare and the different nuts, seeds, fruits, and meat involved. This was served hot which did not make it unenjoyable, just different from what we are used to.

Service was fine and parking is sometimes hard to find (and expensive when you do). The only potential complaint? My frozen margarita was a complete frozen blob that took 20 minutes to thaw before I could suck it with a straw or sip without getting my face totally gooey.

1  Thank SuzanneGarber
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Was in the mood for tacos and found this place on a whim because it was close to our hotel. When I read that it was also a Starr location, I knew we wouldn't be disappointed. The decor and ambiance are so much fun, the staff is hipsterish without being rude, and the menu gives a nice variety of standards without being overwhelming. I had the carnitas tacos and I loved that they were flavorful chunks of pork rather than the usual flavorless, stringy meat you usually get elsewhere. Will definitely recommend!

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Went here with a group of 12 guys after hearing good things. Left disappointed. We paid $35 each for the family style meal. Food was good but not nearly enough of it. We each got a few bites of everything but it certainly was nowhere near a meal. Our server was nice, but took forever to get the limited food we did get. Go elsewhere.