“A bit off”
Review of Pumpkin

Pumpkin
Reserve with OpenTable
Pumpkin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #231 of 4,484 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: 17th Street
Description: Celebrating our 9th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!
Reviewed January 21, 2012

While we heard accolades about this byo, we were disappointed to be offered only a small tasting menu upon our arrival. The food was good, to be sure, but the choices were so limited, it was difficult for a picky eater in our foursome. The service was attentive, but they never offered coffee, and were difficult to find at the end of our meal. Oh, and don't be assured of your reservation time- they phoned us the day before to change our time to half an hour later than originally set up...

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Place is very small, therefore every dish is prepared by chef. Fresh local ingredients, unique preparation, all together makes up for great dinner to remember

Reviewed July 24, 2011

Fantastic food, great combination of fresh, local ingredients and a truly beautiful presentation. Each plate is a work of art and worth the time to appreciate the effort it took to put the dish together! Plus you get the payoff when you put your first bite in your mouth...a taste sensation. All I wanted to do was examine each and every ingredient, figure out how to put the right combination together, but in the end I just followed my instincts an trust the chef. The wait staff was personable, friendly and very accommodating, but a little stretched. Timing of each dish was just a bit too long and the whole experience would have been enhanced by a better pace between dishes. A great experience and highly recommended.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

I'm going to be fair. Recent visit was our first to Pumpkin and our order was:

Starter: Beet salad
Main: Strip Steak
Side: Au gratin potatoes
Dessert: Chocolate Cake

Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
1. Each bite had excellent flavor.
2. Presentation was excellent--looked like artwork on a plate.

Cons:
1. Portions: although each bite had excellent flavor, you have to wonder where the rest of the bites went. Ladies: you'll probably be ok. Gentlemen: go to Gino's Steaks for dessert. The portions are just not big enough for an adult male--and I'm not into "texas-sized" portions. I usually eat half to 2/3 at a normal restaurant. When I say the portions are small, they're actually embarrassingly small. Even the bread was portion controlled. Yikes!

2. Personal space: really cramped. It's a small restaurant, so we get that. Not too much of a deal breaker, but worth mentioning.

Overall:

I think if they allowed 50% larger portions and didn't spend as much labor on artwork, this would be a fantastic spot. After all, the art is going to be ruined by my fork anyway. I need a full stomach when I walk out. Food was of high quality, but I'm not sure I'd recommend.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Pumpkin surpassed all of our expectations. The small menu (changed daily) was packed with local products. Each course was appealing and made our decisions difficult. Each of us had a different selection for each course and shared. Can't wait to return!!

1  Thank konovan