“I love this place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brooklyn, NY
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I love this place! They have great local (very local) beer and solid bar food. I love to go there for a show (upstairs is a music venue) and have dinner downstairs first, then maybe stay later to drink. My favorite place in Philly to see shows.

Visited November 2011

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“poor service, decent food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This Fishtown bar/pub is overrated. Maybe it used to be "THE" place to get a beer and something to eat in Fishtown, but I think it is past its prime. With several newer, better places in the Fishtown and Northern Liberties area opening and developing a large following, JB's should think about improving their customer service. Four of us went their about 5PM on a recent weekday to get a beer and some early dinner. Despite the fact that most tables were still empty, we had to wait forever to get acknowledged by a waitress as she was too busy chatting with friends at another table. Aside from the terrible service, I will credit the place with having a good selection of local brews and some well-prepared sandwich and dinner entrees. Food is a bit pricey for a pub though.
With so many newer bars within a short walk of this place, I have no intention of returning here.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Here We are Back in Fishtown Again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

So my wife, Barbara. led us to another restaurant on her list of must-go obscure Philadelphia hot spots. And once again, we found ourselves wandering in an up-and-coming section of the Fishtown neighborhood in North Philadelphia. This part of Fishtown has a hipster artsy brownstone feel, but the yuppification does not obscure Fishtown's muscular urban roots. Johnny Brenda's seems to reflect this cool but citified feeling. On one hand, Barbara could get some very tasty ham and cheese grits with two eggs on top, good substanial toast and potatoes, but Johnny Brenda's puts an upscale feel to this basic dish by adding Hollandaise Sauce;;;all pretty good. I had the JB's breakfast which features two eggs, toast, potatoes, bacon and home made sausage. The sausage was delicious but too dry. Everything else was fine. Again, you get this yuppie crossover feel as the bar with its old-time neon sign on the front, it's dark wood tavern-style wood paneling and tables and its menu on the wall instead of in menus, gives the feeling that this Fishtown eatery has been around the neighborhood for a long time. But the prices for wine and food, a little on the high side, remind you of the mildly affluent targeted clientele these days. (Prices are not exhorbitant, but these two brunches with some wine and coffee cost over $40 once you throw in the tip.) Service was fine...adequate. The food was good, but not so special that you would journey a long way to eat here. But if you are in Fishtown, definitely drop by.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank TommyBoy94
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My new go to place for weekend brunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I discovered Johnny Brenda's while walking around the Fishtown neighborhood of Philly back in December while house hunting. We had a Realtor friend with us and the three of us walked away raving about our food (I've become a big fan of the Apple French Toast).

Since then we've been back regularly and it's held up to our expectations. If you end up seated near the chalk board, it can be a slightly awkward experience as others walk up to browse, but it can also be a great conversation starter. I'm also a fan of the booths with the built in color changing lights which add to the atmosphere.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank DanDiggler21
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Great relaxed vibe, good prices, great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

Walked in on a Sat night not knowing what I was getting myself into as the outside could look a little questionable with no windows to scan the crowd. When me and my sis in law walked in noticed it was a great size crowd, not too packed but not dead, just right. We ordered drinks right away and got served right away. They had good selection of beer which is all i noticed bc thats all I drink. Ordered 2 app's which were resonably priced. By this point we both got comfortable seats at the bar and the food was out that quick. They cook right in front of you which is nice to see the cleanlyness of the kitchen and cooks. Used the restroom while I was there and it was very clean. Great mix of music that I found refreshing. Would recommend this bar to anyone.

• Visited November 2011