“A special Occassion is NOT complete without Stock's!”
Review of Stock's Bakery

Stock's Bakery
Ranked #14 of 161 Bakeries in Philadelphia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was 19 when my Mother insisted my wedding cake come from Stocks. We will be having Stocks this weekend 10/22 for my 65th Birthday. We have had stocks for all christenings, birthdays, first communions, my kids weddings, showers all the years in between. I live in Atlanta Ga. I fly in drive right to Stock's pick up the cake that is waiting for me and extra loaf cakes to take back to friends. All those occasions and I've never had a bad cake or someone not enjoy it.

Over 75 years in business tells it all.

4  Thank Florence H

Reviewed March 25, 2010

Stock's bakery is known for their poundcake, it's their specialty. If you want delicious poundcake, you have found the right spot! The consistency and flavor is great! Their poundcake tastes like POUNDCAKE, not like lemon or almond, but just plain delicious poundcake.
Like many other Philadelphians, all of my family's special occasion cakes came from Stock's, weddings, communions, baptisms and graduations. It had been a few years since I had the opportunity to enjoy a Stock's cake, but this past month at my niece's birthday I had that chance. I was nervous that it would not be as good as I remembered it, but it was!! If you are looking for a truly delicious poundcake, go to Stock's.
Now, in regard to other comments that i saw posted here, the neighborhood is not that bad. Sorry if working-class people offend you. Sorry if actually knowing your neighbors offends you. And I am truly sorry that your tastebuds cannot discern the deliciousness of a Stock's poundcake versus Wegmans or Hennings or any other suburban mega-mart.
And, as I stated earlier, they are known for their poundcakes, not for buttercake or sticky buns, so let's not compare apples to oranges.

6  Thank sweet_kimtraveler
Reviewed January 12, 2010

Big thanks to Kriss the manager of Stock's. I called from the Florida Keys at the last minute to get a cake for my daughters birthday. Stock's do not deliver but Kriss said she felt like doing a good deed today and saw that my daughter recieved the cake.
Philly has changed since I lived there as a kid but there is still a few people like Kriss that will take the time and put out a little effort to help another person. Thanks Kriss !
George Machamer

6  Thank Wise_Guy-2
Reviewed January 10, 2010

Located in a horrible neighborhood, and, although the pound cake can be good, it's not all that. You'd be better off going to another specialty place or getting fresh pound cake at Wegmans or suggested places. A favorite place for the blue collar sect.

5  Thank KeepinItSimple
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My family has been having Stock's pound cakes for weddings and birthdays since about 1960. If you want a really special cake this is the place to go. You have to really look for it as it is a small, nondescript corner store that is easily missed. We also go between special occasions to buy it by the loaf (or brick). It slices beautifully and we've had top layers of wedding cakes in the freezer for a year and when they're defrosted they're as perfect as they were at the wedding. They don't have a huge selection of other cakes but that doesn't matter. The pound cake is the star! Another thing we never fail to get is a pie. They have these wonderful smallish pies at a great price and they're very good, too. Especially the cocoanut custard and lemon meringue. Another tip! We NEVER go early on a Saturday. It's mobbed with all the wedding cakes being picked up. They wait on you fast, efficiently and the place is spotless. Can't say enough good things about Stock's!!

6  Thank Foodlover66Phila_PA