“The real deal food and real deal experience!”

Koch's Take Out Shop
Ranked #944 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Neighborhood: University City
Neighborhood: University City
Reviewed November 28, 2011

As a local from the Philadelphia area I have always heard about Koch's and yesterday went for the first time. To give you an overview of how great this place is:
- The woman in front of me first started eating there in 1971: "Not much has changed! Best Pastrami sandwhich ever..."
- I almost couldn't eat my lunch after the unsolicited "free samples for everyone" that were offered around every 5 minutes! (pickles and cheese and roast beef, oh my! even my dog waiting outside got a sample scrap "to go":-)
- When I arrived, the owner was creating a custome breakfast sandwhich for two other customers to their specifications - you could see he took a great deal of pride in his work and the new sandwhiches (again, offering samples of his creation!)
- The owner knew the "top" delis in the area I am from and, after eating his yesterday, I can say he definitely ranks right up with them!

Tips:
The place is very small and this amount of attention-to-detail takes time - if you tend to be impatient, call ahead to place your order - if you want the service "experience" then stick around for the fun!
Beware if you're shy and new to the place: the owner can spot a deli "virgin" and will surely ply you with samples and stories....
No place to eat inside; there is a small wire table with 2 chairs outside on nice days.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed April 19, 2008

How could I not like it here. It's a taste of an old fashioned Jewish deli in the heart of University City. A must go, but be prepared to stand in line and listen to corny jokes.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook