“Hidden Gem”

Neighborhood: City Center West
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This little restaurant is tucked away on Arch street, but it is not to be missed! Everything on the menu is delectable, not a single dish was less than extraordinary. The atmosphere is warm and cozy, truly in the Mediterranean style and far from the hustle and bustle of the city outside. Our waitress was friendly and attentive. We would definitely eat there again. Some of the best Mediterranean food we've had!

• Visited March 2013

South Jersey
“My Favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Aya's is by far my all time favorite restaurant. My husband and I go there for lunch about three times a month, and it absolutely never disappoints. The ambiance is warm and comfortable, and the staff is always friendly and efficient. And of course, the food--amazing! It is what I imagine Egyptian home cooking/comfort food to be.

My favorite dish is not on the menu--a chicken kabob on a bed of delicious Egyptian rice. I typically do not like raisins in my food, but the large golden raisins used in this rice are an exception for me. The sandwich version is great when you're in the mood for pita instead of rice.

Second to that, their Egyptian gyro. And please don't confuse that with a Greek gyro. The meat is finely chopped chicken or lamb in a semi-spicy tahina sauce. It's a great combination of flavors that compliment each other.

Aya's falafel are another delicious option, but like the gyro, not typical of what most people are used to having. The falafel are rolled in sesame seeds, and the crunchy on the outside to soft on the inside ratio is absolutely perfect. They are not heavy like most of the falafel that you get here in the city.

I honestly can't say enough good things about this place. Thankfully, it's in a quieter part of the city, so we usually don't have issues with street parking, and there is never a wait to get a table. Aya's NEVER disappoints!

• Visited September 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Atmosphere was nice, and the server was friendly. The food was good. There was no real wow factor among the flavors, but the dishes were cooked to perfection. The turkish coffee was the most delish I have had. If I ever visit Philly again, I would definitely return.

Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Hidden Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My favorite way to find a place to dine in the city is to just go out & walk until it magically appears. Such was the case with Aya's! Visiting the Franklin Institute & not wanting to sample the fare of it's cafeteria option we went walking until we saw an umbrella on the sidewalk on Arch Street. Checked the menu & decided to give it a try. Great decor, a table by the window & soft midde-Eastern music accompanied fast, friendly service & excellent fare! The marinated chicken & vegetables delighted my wife & my re-creation of the kebob & kofta on a Greek salad instead of rice was nicely seasoned & a perfect foil to the creamy tahini sauce. Next time you're in that part of the city take a walk & pay Aya's a visit!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Egyptian food was fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Four of us stopped by on a Friday evening after seeing the Dead Sea Scrolls at the nearby Franklin Institute. I had not heard of Aya, but saw some reviews that intrigued me. We had a marvelous time, each of us trying something different. My lamb chop with rice and raisins was superb, one of the best meals I can remember. The service was friendly and the bill was low. I have already told several other friends about Aya's. This place is a keeper. It really is a little-known gem.