“Great Ambiance”

Ranked #491 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Atmosphere was nice, and the server was friendly. The food was good. There was no real wow factor among the flavors, but the dishes were cooked to perfection. The turkish coffee was the most delish I have had. If I ever visit Philly again, I would definitely return.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

My favorite way to find a place to dine in the city is to just go out & walk until it magically appears. Such was the case with Aya's! Visiting the Franklin Institute & not wanting to sample the fare of it's cafeteria option we went walking until we saw an umbrella on the sidewalk on Arch Street. Checked the menu & decided to give it a try. Great decor, a table by the window & soft midde-Eastern music accompanied fast, friendly service & excellent fare! The marinated chicken & vegetables delighted my wife & my re-creation of the kebob & kofta on a Greek salad instead of rice was nicely seasoned & a perfect foil to the creamy tahini sauce. Next time you're in that part of the city take a walk & pay Aya's a visit!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Four of us stopped by on a Friday evening after seeing the Dead Sea Scrolls at the nearby Franklin Institute. I had not heard of Aya, but saw some reviews that intrigued me. We had a marvelous time, each of us trying something different. My lamb chop with rice and raisins was superb, one of the best meals I can remember. The service was friendly and the bill was low. I have already told several other friends about Aya's. This place is a keeper. It really is a little-known gem.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

The spinach soup was great and everything else was good.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stopped by at Aya's -- a wonderful little BYOB establishment, on our way to the home of friends one recent early Friday evening. It is very clean and cozy. It was early so it's hard to say what service is like when it's busy, but our waitron was very nice, friendly, courteous, and quick.

The lively middle eastern music soundtrack seemed a little loud in the empty early evening dining room. Perhaps as the room fills, the music is less intrusive. It was not an annoyance but we were sat directly beneath one of the powerful wall-mounted mini speakers.

My wife had a tasty Mediterranean salad followed by a fresh grilled salmon platter, with white wine and capers, lemon and butter sauce, served with sauteed vegetables and a heap of fairly tasteless Israeli couscous.

I had a bowl of the delicious Moroccan Tomato Soup (soup of the day). Flavorful, zesty with a chicken broth base (I think), and festooned with chopped onions, tomatoey bits, and flavored with cilantro and nutmeg and probably other spices. Cindy thought the nutmeg was a little overpowering when I offered her a taste. I did not find it to be so, but added some fresh lemon juice squeezed from the wedges provided, and that added a sharp and cleanly sour taste which I found very satisfying. Accompanied by a few pita shards. I thought this dish very good. If you are fortunate, perhaps they will have that as a soup de jour during your visit, or perhaps you will have something equally tasty.

Our waitress said on our arrival that the chef specializes in grilled lamb.

She was so right.

Following the soup I had the Reyash Mashweya (rack of lamb): four good sized grilled Frenched lamb chops, cooked perfectly medium rare -- as ordered.... with a fair sized hillock of small grained, dry and cinnamon dusted sweet Egyptian rice, plus a side of tahini and grilled red peppers and zucchini. I thought it was excellent.

We thought that the quality was top notch and the servings plentiful. My wife could not even finish her salmon, though she said it was very good.

I sent back an empty plate, which made our waitress' smile even wider.

We would definitely come here again!