“My favorite spot in Manayunk” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Derek's - CLOSED

Derek's
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Grill, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Levering Street
Transit: Take the R6 to Manayunk. Train Station is half a block behind restaurant. 61 bus from Center City Exit 338 Interstate 76
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“My favorite spot in Manayunk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I've eaten at Derek's about twice a month for the past year. This is absolutely my favorite place to eat in Manyunk. I've been here for lunch with family, dinner with my boyfriend, and out for brunch or late night drinks with my friends. Their cocktails are actually very good! These drinks a little pricier than some others you'll find in the area but they are delicious, totally worth the price. Every time I come here, no matter what the occasion is, I always get their spinach and goat cheese dip. I have come here just for that appetizer!

I've read some negative reviews about this place but I have never experienced anything disappointing while dining here.

I highly recommend this spot, especially if it is nice out and you can eat outside and people watch while enjoying a few drinks and a good meal.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Chicken bone found and no apology”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Went here on a Sunday and we were delighted at the atmosphere and spot. Had the French onion soup and it was great. After that I got the spicy African pizza. It came out and I was pleasantly surprised at how great it looked. A few slices and I was very impressed. On my third piece I bit into the small chunk of chicken and something stabbed me in the mouth. I pulled it out and it was about an inch long chicken bone. I showed it to our waitress and she apologized. She asked me if I wanted another one and I said no I just wanted the manager and chef to know. She came back and said that she told the manager and the chef and they said "Sorry but it was a big chicken" Thats strange. Why didnt they serve boneless chicken? I was hoping for a visit from the manager or a few dollars off of our bill. Neither happened. Because of this, we will not go back. I cannot understand for the life of me why the manager would not come over and apologize. The waitress should have demanded it. They have lost a customer because the manager couldnt spend 2 minutes at our table. Their loss.

“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went to Derek’s to cap off a beautiful day around the area. The place was quite empty so instead of getting a table we chose to sit at the bar.
My wife and I ordered two drinks and chose to order some food. We started out with the fried calamari and then for our main courses, I chose to get a pizza and my wife chose to order their signature burger.
As we were placing our order, the bartender stated to us because we were a couple, we could not order a burger because they need to reserved the space on their grill for dinner parties and reservations of large groups. Keep in mind, we were only ordering ONE burger to say the least. We chose to stick to the pizza which was tasty but loaded with garlic.
We promptly finished our meal, paid the check and left. I doubt we will be going back because of how they could not afford to have grill space for one burger. When we did place the order, the restaurant was still half empty.
Surprising to say the least.

pa
“My go to spot on Main Street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Although it gets mixed reviews, Derek's has always been good to me. I usually go here for the drinks. They have awesome candy martinis. My favorite is the nerds martini. Very good! When I do eat here I enjoy the Braised Pork Shoulder, a smoked berkshire pork with sweet corn-basil grits. I love that they have grits on their menu, very rare menu item in the North. They are very tasty and unique. I also enjoy the Smoked Chicken & Corn Quesadilla.

The problem with this place is that it is small and has a poor layout. In 2013, we dined here for a Mother's Day brunch. The food was very good but it was extremely overcrowded. Service is usually pretty good and I always see Derek when I come here so at least if there are any issues, I'm sure they would be addressed right away.

Visited May 2014
Beacon, New York
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Went to Derek's for Mother's Day... It was just terrible. The restaurant was cramped, and had no air conditioning when it was 90 degrees outside. I had two elderly people in my party who had to walk up 2 flights of stairs (all the food was downstairs and we sat upstairs) and when we asked to have another table, we were simply told "no" by the host. The only choice was a breakfast buffet, we had 2pm reservations. The food wasn't bad but the cook by the food was rude and not helpful. The service was horrible. Needless to say we will not be going back to Derek's!!!