“Overpriced and small portions”
Review of Derek's - CLOSED

Derek's
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Grill, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Levering Street
Transit: Take the R6 to Manayunk. Train Station is half a block behind restaurant. 61 bus from Center City Exit 338 Interstate 76
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Overpriced and small portions”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I've have heard good things about this restaurant from friends over the years so I was excited to finally try it. It seemed like a great deal at the time the 3 for $30 special (appetizer, large entree, and dessert) but it really wasn't. The options they give you to choose from are limited with this special. I chose the salmon entree and the only two options included with that were a chipwhich sandwhich or an ice pop for dessert. Opposite to the name on the menu 'large entree' the portions were really small. I had to order mashed potatoes as an extra side to get me full. The salmon was ok, not bad, not great. My boyfriend ordered the gnocchi and also was disappointed with the quality and the portion size. We both were extremely happy with the appetizers however. I ordered eggplant in a pesto sauce which was phenomenal. He ordered caprese in a pesto sauce which was also delicious. Service was slow and not that attentive to us. We ordered extra bread and it was served completely burned. The chipwhich was good but the cookie part had been burned as well. It seems like a place that may be better to go to for a cocktail and a quick appetizer. Definently not dinner!!! Save your money! There has to be better eating places in Manayunk then here.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank honestreviews83

New Jersey
“Put a smile on my face!”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We were just walking around Manayunk looking for a nice spot to have a cold drink and talk with old friends. We looked into Derek's and saw the cool bar seats that looked very comfortable. Well it was 1/2 off of wine by the bottel day. They also had a very fresh farm to plate dish at only 14.00 it was wonderful. The bread was great. We had a goat cheese dip that pleased all. We had a child with us that enjoyed her food also and she shared her french fries with us since they give you a very large portion of those. Turns out that the comfortable cool looking bar seats really were NOT comfortable at all. We will be returning to Derek's soon but we will NOT be sitting in those seats. We also enjoyed the service of our bartender, Martin. We would return because of him. He made the place friendly and gave us very excellent service all at the same time. Go and enjoy this spot! I think it is places like this that makes going to Manayunk for the day FUN!

• Visited July 2011
Union, New Jersey
“Cute, trendy restaurant with good food and good service.”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Attended a baby shower brunch at Derek's on October 2nd. It's in a very cute section called Manayunk. The service was great, we had a nice, very attentive waittress for the shower (I think there were 14 of us and she handled it all very well). The bartender made excellent bloody mary's. The food was very good, I had the french toast brioche with brandy cooked apples and a cream-type of sauce which was delicious. The restaurant is very cute and trendy. If you are in the area, I would definitely recommend it.

West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Horrible”
Reviewed October 10, 2010

My husband and I were given two $25.00 gift cards to Derek's as a wedding gift from a cousin. We were married on 9/5/2009. We live in West Chester, so we don't make it out to Manayunk often and they have been sitting in a pile of cards since we were married. We decided we wanted to use them, so I dug them out and was a little upset to find that on the back of the cards it reads "After 12 months of non-use, a $3.00 monthly service fee will be deducted from the remaining balance." I called to find out what the balance on each card is and they say there is $1.00 on each and there is nothing they can do. I will never patronize this business ever.‎

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Good food but very tight squeeze at the table”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I dined with a friend at Derek's and was pleased with our meal. They have a decent cocktail/wine menu but you can also BYOB which is nice. We brought a bottle and it was quickly chilled and served to us. Our waitress was very attentive despite the busy atmosphere. Our table was in a tiny section with a lot of other tables, so it wasn't very intimate. On a Friday night the scene was very crowded, so the tight sitting quarters made it a bit uncomfortable. The food was great, we started with the cheese plate, for the price the portion was a bit small but the cheese and accompaniments were great. We asked for another portion of the mustard that came with one of the cheeses and were brought out a rather large dish of it for no extra charge which was a nice touch. We also shared the truffled frites and the special of the night, fried green tomatoes. The frites were missing a sauce or dip of some sort but were otherwise great. The fried green tomatoes were the highlight of the meal but again, the portion size was really small for the price. Our last course was their regular pizza with sicilian pepperoni and it was just ok, the crust was dry and overdone but the sauce, cheese, and pepperoni were great. Upstairs there was a vodka bar with delicious mojitoes, and they also specialize in vodka with different candies soaked in them. We capped off the night with a glass of candy-infused vodka on the rocks, one Starbust and one Nerds flavor and they were excellent.

1 Thank SGtravelgal