Thomas Bond House Bed & Breakfast
$179
$160
$229
  • Restaurant
All reviewscity tavernno elevatorold cityweekend breakfastbed and breakfasthomemade granolaamerican revolutionindependence hallother guestsacross the streetbreakfast was deliciousthird floorsitting roomhistoric districtwhite noise machineeach eveningwithin walking distance
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed at the Thomas Bond House for Philly sight-seeing weekend and we enjoyed our stay.
We were in the Robert Fulton room and while this room does present some challenges with a severe slope 4th floor roof, this is part of the charm, that is until you hit your head in the middle of the night.
We enjoyed a nice breakfast both days and just loved the location across from City Tavern and a five minute walk from Franklin Fountain.
We would stay here again when visiting Philadelphia

Room Tip: No elevator in this old house so if you don't like stairs choose a room on th elower floors
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have stayed at the Thomas Bond House three times over the last five years. I like the location which is a few blocks from all the historical attractions. I last stayed there in May of this year when I was in Philly for a conference. I had stayed there previously on July 4th a few years ago with my husband who also liked the B&B. The innkeepers provide a good cooked breakfast but also have other items in a lovely dining room. Fresh-baked cookies, wine, and cheese are provided every afternoon. The rooms are clean and attractive. The only room for improvement would be to have a larger television, but with all the historical places to see, I don't think you will miss a larger television in your room.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the Dr. Thomas Bond Sr and Dr. Thomas Bond Jr. rooms and found them to be spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Like an earlier reviewer I had the Robert Fulton room. It WAS good exercise to get up to the room! I loved the room-it was clean, comfortable and cosy. The television didn't get more than 2 channels (and those somewhat poorly) but I'm not all that into TV so that was OK. I would not recommend this room for tall people due to the bathroom being tucked under the eaves. I'm 5'7" and had to duck a little to see into the bathroom mirror properly, and ended up putting on my make-up with use of the desk mirror. I lived in Philadelphia previously, so I felt the street noise that I could hear was par for the course in that city (in contradiction to a previous reviewer).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank HomebodyMI
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our first stay at this B & B, though not our first time in Philly, We were charmed by this lovely home, but people not used to B & Bs may find some things not as convenient as standard hotels. We stayed at one of the less expensive top floor rooms, the Robert Fulton room. It was small, had queen bed, dresser, desk and chair. We knew in advance there was no elevator, but were not prepared for the over 6 flights of stairs to the 4th floor- we were expecting 4 flights, but there were two flights plus a landing for each floor. No big deal, really, as we had help with the bags. And on the 4th floor there was less disturbance from street noise. The room was clean and pleasant, with the wonderful original wood floors. It would have been nice to have a comfy chair or sofa as well, but the small size of the room prevented that, though some of the larger rooms do have them. We really didn't spend much time in the room anyway- there is so much to see in Philadelphia.
The innkeepers were pleasant and helpful and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The weekend cooked breakfasts were delicious and the weekday continental breakfasts were more than adequate. The innkeepers served wine, cheese and crackers late afternoon and cookies. tea and coffee are self-serve in the evenings.
We were there in a heat wave, with the temperature hitting 100 several days- the air conditioning wasn't really adequate, though our room was comfortable despite being on the top floor. The bathrooms do not have AC vents and get uncomfortable if you do not leave the bathroom door open when not using it and the stairwells have no AC. I think the AC problem was the result of the extreme heat wave, and the fact that renovations for things like that are limited in a historic home. If it had been any other season the AC would have been unimportant.
There was only one outlet in the room, and the TV had to be unplugged to charge both our cell phones. My laptop had to be charged in the bathroom, as it was the only outlet that accepted a 3-prong plug. The Wi-Fi was slow, but adequate, though my husband couldn't get online on his devices, and some guests found the same problem, though I had no problem.
The location is excellent- you can walk to so many great restaurants you'll have trouble choosing. You can walk to many of the attractions like Independence Hall. If you aren't familiar with the Phlash, you'll need a cab for the Franklin Institute and Art Museum, both a short cab ride away.
There is a convenient parking garage next door. Cabs were readily available right at the curb- we didn't wait more than 5 minutes each time.
We were able to see amazing fireworks right at Penn's Landing, a block away.
There are several old historic homes within walking distance where tours are offered during certain hours- the Physick House and the Powell House/Museum. I highly recommend both- the tour guides were excellent.
There are two movie theaters nearby- one right next door and one two blocks away. We went every night to cool off!
I would definitely stay here again. I'll try a cooler season next time!
The only thing missing? A ghost sighting. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dolores W
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We spent one night at the Thomas Bond House and thought it was great. It was clean and beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Elizabeth Benson Chew Room. It was on the second floor and had two double beds and an attached bathroom. It was very pretty and clean. My daughter was happy there was a t.v. although there weren't many channels. There was cheese and crackers with wine at 5:30 and we sat in the parlor/drawing room and chatted with other guests- how fun! We had dinner across the street at City Tavern which was delicious and very quaint. I had the tofu, my husband the salmon, and daughter soup and salad. We loved the period atmosphere and everything tasted great. Try the flight of beer- you will try George Washington's recipe as well as Thomas Jefferson's, Alexander Hamilton's, and Ben Franklin's. It is delivered on a wooden board and the servings were generous- split it with someone! You can buy the beer to take home in any configuration you like. I got 4 Thomas Jefferson and 2 Alexander Hamiltons. The B and B then had cookies and coffee at 8:00 so we skipped dessert at the restaurant (we were stuffed anyway) and just took some cookies up to our room. In the morning there was a nice buffet of breads, croissants, yogurt and fruit. Overall, I thought the experience was great. You part right next door at a garage (not the most attractive). It was 15.00. Other guests commented on the stairs at the Thomas Bond House. I didn't feel they were steep but my husband said it was tricky carrying luggage as they are narrow and steep. So, be careful, but enjoy!!!

Room Tip: The Elizabeth Benson Chew room faces the street and the City Tavern. Since it was a Sunday night and the air conditioner was on, we didn't hear any noise from the street. It also looks over the empty lot next door which is dedicated to William Penn.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family