“A gem on Baring Street in Philadelphia!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Spruce Hill Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Spruce Hill Manor
Ranked #3 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“A gem on Baring Street in Philadelphia!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was an ideal spot for my husband and I to stay while visiting our daughter and attending
her graduation. Janet is a thoughtful,accommodating hostess. Our stay felt custom fit. The breakfasts each morning were varied .and tasty ...something for everyone! The house itself is lovely as are the grounds. We loved that front porch! We hope to come back and visit
very soon and would recommend this Inn to anyone visiting the city. Thank you Janet and
Anthony!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
home
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have always stayed away from B & Bs, I'm not crazy about the familiarity with owners and other guests. But, I must say, I loved this place. I travel to Philly a couple of times a year to visit relatives who live within walking distance of the Manor. There are only a few (expensive) hotels in this part of University City so I decided to give the Manor a try. As my cab pulled up to the Manor I had second thoughts, it's very Victorian and not my style at all. But, immediately Janet's welcome put me at ease. She's so accomodating, will help with anything you need, but isn't intrusive at all. She even brought my coffee to me on the front porch one morning! I stayed in the Audobon room on the 2nd floor. It's like an apartment with a very large sitting/living room, an updated bathroom and a separate bedroom. It is furnished with lovely antiques and has a fridge and a microwave. Therer's a queen pullout sofa in the living room so, along with the queen in the bedroom, you could easily sleep 4 people.The two things I always hate about hotels is the uncomfortable beds and the noise from the hallway or other guests. My bed here was very comfortable and the room was very quiet, I barely heard other guests. I'm an early riser so I did not eat the full regular breakfast but the dining room is available for snacks, fruit, cereal, etc. anytime. There's a trolley stop a block away, or Janet will make arrangements for cab if you prefer. There's a large enclosed courtyard that's nice for relaxing with a glass of wine at the end of a busy day. A 15 minute walk puts you right in the heart of Univ. of Penn, plenty of shops and restaurants. This is a fun, relaxing alternative to the standard hotel room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Leesport, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and had a lovely time. Janet is very kind and accomodating! The house is lovely, with a very nice garden. Room was large, comfortable and inviting with a very bed and breakfast, homey feel. Janet had a very nice breakfast laid out with the best cornbread I have ever had and gave a very thoughtful gift (plus she generously gave one for each of our five kids)!! It is a great location near the universities and public transportation. The only downsides are a kind of small bathroom (but no big deal) and the neighborhood was a little noisy. Overall, this was a great place to stay, with Janet's kindness and attention being the highlights!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Library which is on the first floor across from the breakfast area and with windows...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

I was attending a 5 day conference at U of Penn and wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance. Staying at Spruce Hill Manor was a great experience - very clean, comfortable, roomy, and quiet. Breakfast was lovely each morning with options such as quiche, fresh fruit, and sweet breads, but several hot and cold cereals were available, too. Snacks and tea were available during the day, too. Janet, the innkeeper is warm and immediately made me feel at home. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to others.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

During a big conference in Philadelphia we have been staying with 4 colleagues with Janet in this great B & B.
The neighbourhood is very quite, you can walk or take a subway downtown.
Breakfast is very nice, often Janet will bake something: a quiche, cornbread or "koffiebroodjes".
There is yoghurt, nuts, cornflakes of all kinds.
And then: the rooms, beautiful large rooms, with everything you need: fridge, wifi, tv with satellite.

When the weather is nice you can sit at the veranda and watch streetlife, which is very quite, as mentioned before..

A top place to be and stay in Philadelphia!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne_Marie1964188590
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were greeted w/ a warm welcome, and were told to help ourselves to hot tea and homemade apple cake. It was like gong home. Our room was the "small" one and it was quite large and spacious w/ an equally large bathroom. The rooms were very clean and charmingly decorated. We were given a map of the city, the B&B is walking distance form Drexel Univ. and U. Penn. We parked across the street. Breakfast was homemade quiche and a variety of other things; fruit, cereal, breads. The owner could not have been nicer. We had one problem, our stay was too short. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Since there is no elevator (we didn't see one) if you have large heavy bags don't choose a r...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed at the Spruce Hill Manor for 2 weeks during April. I do not even know where to begin of the many things I liked...so I'll start with the basics. The house is immaculate, clean & decorated classic with ever furnishing you could possibly need. On to service, Janet & Adrienne were delightful from making the rsvp to our arrival. They had the best coffee waiting for us each morning along with great healthy snack & an awesome breakfast. I stayed with another friend and we cannot wait to come back!

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business