“Good food and atmosphere, aggressive service”

1225Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge
Reserve with OpenTable
1225Raw Sushi & Sake Lounge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #278 of 4,484 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: Market Street Subway Stop at 13th street. SEPTA Bus lines on Chestnut & 13th and Walnut and 13th.
Description: RAW Sushi & Sake Lounge, located in Philadelphia's renowned Stetson building on 1225 Sansom Street has been steadily growing after five years of hard work, customer loyalty, and good fortune. Between our exotic sushi bar, traditional hot entrees, or overstuffed specialty rolls, you're guaranteed to find something you love. The fifteen feet glass bar houses an impressive shelf of exotic sakes that caters to new tasters as well as sake connoisseurs. While you dine, take in the view of Japanese lamps floating down from the bamboo ceiling, or step outside into our private outdoor courtyard and lounge under the stars.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had dinner at Raw last night. The atmosphere is very good. Pleasant front of house staff. The restaurant is appointed nicely with quirky Japanese-themed artwork, interesting interior and low lighting. The sushi is well above average and the drinks are very good. Expect Center City prices. The waitress was attentive but she and the rest of the wait staff project a hurry-up attitude by rushing to remove plates and glasses. She removed our drink glasses before we were done and without asking. Also, we wanted a booth; the hostess then asked me if we had a reservation @ 60 seconds after I gave her my name for my reservation (Open Table). Strange.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I ate here the other night on a business trip. The sushi was pretty good, not great, but worth the going. The service was very good.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Eat at Raw earlier this week with some work friends. It was a great atmosphere. The sushi was pretty good too. I prefer a lot of the simpler tuna rolls, tuna sashimi, and tuna base nigiri sushi dishes. My coworkers had some pretty fancy rolls. Everyone loved it. The service was excellent. Its a good sushi place. I will go back.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived just before 9pm without a reservation, asked about the wait for a table for 3 and were told it would be about 10 - 15 minutes. (This usually means a possible 20-30 minutes since it is impossible to tell how long someone may take to finish paying and vacate their table) Forty minutes later we disappointedly left without being seated. Everyone who came in after us and those already seated at the bar with reservations ranging from 9 to 9:30pm were all told by the young hostess that it would be "just a few more minutes til the next table cleared". Again, this went on for the entire 40 minutes that we sat waiting in the vestibule. Several patrons already at the bar came out to the lobby on multiple occasions to inquire about when their tables might be ready (a few more than once, getting angrier as time went by). Had we all been told honestly that the wait would be much longer, we would have had the option to leave sooner and go elsewhere or the restaurant could have enticed those with reservations to stay and have another beverage. The hostess re-confirmed with us about 20 minutes into our wait that we had checked in with her, but then we found that she had mistakenly put us in as a party of 6 (easy enough to make a typo, I guess, but she could have chosen any time to tell us that the wait would be much longer with so many others already waiting at the bar). Or at minimum offered an outdoor table - we left after telling her that her approach was unacceptable. Lying to keep a captive audience is quite simply unprofessional.

Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

I'm here in Philadelphia on a business trip and didn't want to eat out by myself so I ordered out. The sushi set platter was fresh and tasty and I didn't have to wait long on a Saturday night. The restaurant was crowded, always a good sign.