“Terrific food and service, and you're treated like family”
Review of Core De Roma - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd
Description: *2012 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2011 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2010 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* *2009 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* Core de Roma Trattoria is a casual, intimate, family owned Trattoria, offering authentic Roman cuisine while upholding the best of Roman tradition. Some examples of our mouth watering Roman delicacies include our signature Artichokes alla Romana, Abbacchio(Lamb chops) scotta dito, and Bucatini all'amatriciana. Contrary to what some people say, we spelled our name as "Core de Roma" intentionally, meaning "The Heart of Rome" in our family's dialect. Our ultimate goal is to make all of our customers feel like family through our cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and home-made dishes. At Core De Roma you can expect the true heart of Rome in the heart of Philly.
Evanston, Illinois
“Terrific food and service, and you're treated like family”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Core de Roma specializes in Roman cuisine. Its focused menu and complementing ambience is why Core de Roma is a Trattoria, rather than a Ristorante, typically having a wide-ranging menu and less personal feel. It’s located on bustling South Street, a few blocks from Penn’s Landing. Although Core de Roma is a BYOB, it also offers an appealing selection of Italian wines, beers and cordials, as well as a full bar. Most important, the food is superb, carefully prepared and beautifully presented. I’ve always found the service excellent. Core de Roma is family owned and operated. Besides serving customers, owner, Papa’ and his son, Joe, always find time to chat with patrons—in English or Italian—your choice. When I am at Core de Roma, they make me feel like family. For me, Core de Roma is the place to go for a great dining experience.

• Visited November 2012

West Pittston, Pennsylvania
“Real Italian”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I am an Italian-American who has been going to Italy for 35 years. I state that because I want everyone to know that I know and appreciate both cuisines. What Core de Roma serves is real Italian food. Their speciality is Roman and they are right on the money. I go there every time I am in Philadelphia because it is the only place I can find authentic Italian dishes. Trust me, if that is what you are looking for you won't be disappointed. You couple the food with the friendly service and you end up with a wonderful dining experience. I wish I lived closer.

Philadelphia, PA
“Like family”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have reviewed Core de Roma before, but after our most recent visit, I wanted to write again, to say that eating here is like eating with family. The owner Luigi and son Joe always greet us warmly. On this visit, Luigi was in Italy (lucky guy). Joe and his sister-in-law took care of us and we once again had a delicious meal.

We love the artichoke appetizer - and this time - it was even better than it usually is. We had these in Rome as well, in Luigi's neighborhood, at a restaurant he recommended, and the artichokes at Core de Roma are better than those in Rome! A must try!

Any main course you select will not disappoint! It is served hot and delicious.

• Visited November 2012
mickleton
“No matter where I go, this is still my Fav!!!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

All I have to say is the artichoke appetizer, the Bolognese, and the great service from Joe. The food is fresh, authentic, and the service is the best. What a great experience over and over. We are approaching the double-digit mark in terms of visits. Have tried many other Italian restaurants in Philly and South Jersey. Some real good ones, but the bar is set by Core De Roma!

• Visited October 2012
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“A taste of Roma”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were there last night -- all 10 of us -- and our server was personable and attentive, despite a packed dining room. We began with Roma artichoke appetizer which was delightful as were the calamari, mussels and fried appetizers we were all sharing. My entree was really two meals -- veal scallopine -- and I think if you want something different on the menu and smile broadly, it will be made for you. I had really wanted veal parmesan and realized at the other end of the table that someone in our party got just that -- because he asked. The food was flavorful and hot and authentic -- can't get any better than that!

• Visited September 2012