“Like family”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd
Description: *2012 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2011 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2010 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* *2009 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* Core de Roma Trattoria is a casual, intimate, family owned Trattoria, offering authentic Roman cuisine while upholding the best of Roman tradition. Some examples of our mouth watering Roman delicacies include our signature Artichokes alla Romana, Abbacchio(Lamb chops) scotta dito, and Bucatini all'amatriciana. Contrary to what some people say, we spelled our name as "Core de Roma" intentionally, meaning "The Heart of Rome" in our family's dialect. Our ultimate goal is to make all of our customers feel like family through our cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and home-made dishes. At Core De Roma you can expect the true heart of Rome in the heart of Philly.
Philadelphia, PA
“Like family”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have reviewed Core de Roma before, but after our most recent visit, I wanted to write again, to say that eating here is like eating with family. The owner Luigi and son Joe always greet us warmly. On this visit, Luigi was in Italy (lucky guy). Joe and his sister-in-law took care of us and we once again had a delicious meal.

We love the artichoke appetizer - and this time - it was even better than it usually is. We had these in Rome as well, in Luigi's neighborhood, at a restaurant he recommended, and the artichokes at Core de Roma are better than those in Rome! A must try!

Any main course you select will not disappoint! It is served hot and delicious.

• Visited November 2012

mickleton
“No matter where I go, this is still my Fav!!!!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

All I have to say is the artichoke appetizer, the Bolognese, and the great service from Joe. The food is fresh, authentic, and the service is the best. What a great experience over and over. We are approaching the double-digit mark in terms of visits. Have tried many other Italian restaurants in Philly and South Jersey. Some real good ones, but the bar is set by Core De Roma!

• Visited October 2012
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“A taste of Roma”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were there last night -- all 10 of us -- and our server was personable and attentive, despite a packed dining room. We began with Roma artichoke appetizer which was delightful as were the calamari, mussels and fried appetizers we were all sharing. My entree was really two meals -- veal scallopine -- and I think if you want something different on the menu and smile broadly, it will be made for you. I had really wanted veal parmesan and realized at the other end of the table that someone in our party got just that -- because he asked. The food was flavorful and hot and authentic -- can't get any better than that!

• Visited September 2012
Washington, DC
“Small, affordable, and delicious”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We went to Core De Roma on the spur of the moment, so we had no idea what to expect. I was hungry, it looked good, so we gave it a try. I'm so glad we did! We were very early for dinner (or very late for lunch), so we were the only people in the restaurant. The waiter was very friendly and offered his suggestions for us. We ordered the artichoke appetizer and two of the pasta dishes. The artichokes were absolutely wonderful. Our pasta was fresh and delicious. I wish this place was closer so we could go back soon.

• Visited July 2012
Washington, D.C.
“Excellent neighborhood restaurant”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I am from Washington, DC. A place where it is hard to find decent Italian food. Our friends live a block from Core De Roma; every time we visit we make sure we include Core De Roma. The Roman artichokes are where to start - done in a very nice vinagrette. The telefono is another must starter - rices balls fried with a nice red sauce to top them with. Pastas are home made, delicious and the toppings varied and very well made. I had the stuffed filet mignon this last visit - Joe (the owner's son) said it is his favorite. Boy I know why! I am usually order fish; the filet was one of the tastiest steaks I have ever eaten with a beautiful red wine sauce underneath it. Core De Roma is an outstanding dining destination in South Philadelphia. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited July 2012